M10 LCD Protector Options

bherman01545

Advertisement (gone after registration)

All;

I know that the M10 has an LCD made from Gorilla Glass, blah,blah,blah, but I've seen iPhone screens scratch and my M9P also scratched, and I'm very careful.

What are you all using? What options are available?

The Leica rep said that the temporary clear plastic cover which comes installed from the factory on the M10 is the same Leica part number as the one for the SL TYP 601, so he said that the SL TYP 601 foils should fit.

I think that I found my answer. On the B+H website, it says that the LCD Foil for the Q2 is the same protector as for the M10, but are there better options?

Comments?

Thanks;

-Brad

Edited by bherman01545

I use the Leica Display Protection Foil for M10, L24017. It's not like the clear plastic that comes on the camera. It's tough plastic and protects well, but the drawback is that it reduces display brightness and the surface is matte.

I also use the expert shield glass version. It doesn’t scratch;  you can see it does take a beating around the edges.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

On 1/7/2020 at 2:59 PM, bherman01545 said:

All;

I know that the M10 has an LCD made from Gorilla Glass, blah,blah,blah, but I've seen iPhone screens scratch and my M9P also scratched, and I'm very careful.

I prefer blah, blah, blah.  Haven’t scratched the screen on any of 4 digital Ms in 11 years.  Or my iPhone.  No special care involved other than occasional microfiber wipe. Not sure what you guys are doing to your gear.  :)

Jeff

• Like 1

I used both Leica official plastic film and the aftermarket gorilla glass one.

honestly I prefer plastic film, it’s matte so it will not reflect as much as glass one under the sun and the glass one is fingerprint, skin oil magnet.

The plastic does reduce the clarity of the screen but I couldn’t care less. I am not going to edit my photos within the camera, being able to actually see the image under sunlight is much more important to me.

• Like 1

A slightly different question: I've been looking for an M10 half case with both a battery door and LCD protection in leather (I don't want/need the screen). So far I've only found one by Angelo Pelle, and Kenjileather can customize one with these options at additional cost. 

Does anyone know of other options?

7 hours ago, Jeff S said:

I prefer blah, blah, blah.  Haven’t scratched the screen on any of 4 digital Ms in 11 years.  Or my iPhone.  No special care involved other than occasional microfiber wipe. Not sure what you guys are doing to your gear.  :)

Jeff

Good for you Jeff. I've paid thousands for a camera body and it goes everywhere with me usually crashing against my back as I wear it like a sling.  Hence, the LCD is rubbing against many surfaces. So for less than 1% of the money paid on the camera and about 10 minutes of time to install...my camera is now fully protected.  Peace of mind is worth the minimal cost.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, evikne said:

A slightly different question: I've been looking for an M10 half case with both a battery door and LCD protection in leather (I don't want/need the screen). So far I've only found one by Angelo Pelle, and Kenjileather can customize one with these options at additional cost. 

Arte Di Mano offer those customization as well but it will cost you an arm with all those upgrade options.

4 hours ago, TangoCharlie27 said:

Good for you Jeff. I've paid thousands for a camera body and it goes everywhere with me usually crashing against my back as I wear it like a sling.  Hence, the LCD is rubbing against many surfaces. So for less than 1% of the money paid on the camera and about 10 minutes of time to install...my camera is now fully protected.  Peace of mind is worth the minimal cost.

I’ve been using quality gear since the 70’s, taking it everywhere, with peace of mind. Like my cars, though, I do carry personal insurance that covers issues outside the warranty, including significant damage, loss or theft, even due to my own negligence.  Costs about 1.5% of gear value annually, with no deductible. Now THAT gives me peace of mind. We each make choices... no right or wrong. Some also choose to put a car bra on the front of their luxury vehicle to prevent dings; I don’t bother. Let’s not even get into another discussion on whether one leaves the plastic cover on the bottom of their M; I don’t want to lose any sleep.

Jeff

16 hours ago, evikne said:

I've thought about this also. I don't worry about the glass screen much, but I do have issues with the screen's bezel. It protrudes 2.6mm (according to my micrometer) and catches on jacket zippers and other things easily.

I’ve used the ACMAXX screen protectors, for years, on a number of different cameras. The LCD image remains bright and because it has a small border the edges of the protector don’t crack.  Glare is no worse than on the unprotected screen.

Here’s the M10 version:

ACMAXX 3.0" Hard LCD Screen Armor Protector Leica M10 M-10 20000 20001 M10P P

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

On 1/13/2020 at 10:20 PM, dickgillberg said:

I got Leicas screen protector for my M10P, it's ok, but maybe I would like a clear one better. And as I used to scratch any iPhone I have I don't trust LCDs cover. My sapphire glass watch also have some kind of scratches. Protect it while you can.

I use that too.  I am certain it degrades the image but I am not a big chimper.  Just happy to keep the screen in good nick, so it can be removed immediately before I decide to sell it (hopefully not for a while!).

On 1/13/2020 at 9:21 AM, evikne said:

IMHO, the best half cases are those made by Luigi Crescenzi.

https://luigicases.com/

2 hours ago, Fgcm said:

IMHO, the best half cases are those made by Luigi Crescenzi.

https://luigicases.com/

Thanks! His half cases look great, but he is definitely not a web designer. 😉

I really liked the solution with the hanging rear door. But I guess I'll have to email him to find out if they can also be delivered with a battery door.