andybarton

Athens One Challenge

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’m liking the idea of Blackpool. 

I’ve been working on improving Blackpool for 14 years. And I’ve been making a difference. 

3 minutes ago, stunsworth said:

Well, I was told in Lyon that it was never going to return to Northern Europe, so make sure Robert has the car serviced <grin>.

Hmm ... I don't know who would have said that or how they would even know since the next year's destination is chosen from a group vote basically 'on the fly', isn't it?  Personally I would have no problem returning to northern Europe or Scandinavia come to that. 

Pete.

2 minutes ago, farnz said:

Hmm ... I don't know who would have said that or how they would even know since the next year's destination is chosen from a group vote basically 'on the fly', isn't it?

As I remember it some of the attendees had got together before the meal to make sure Seville was nominated and then voted for it. When the voting sheets were going round I was told to vote for Seville. Naturally being an awkward sod I didn’t. 

I was there but no one told me where to vote for while in Lyon. 

I don’t like the idea that there is a deliberate effort to skew voting for the next year. That’s totally against the spirit of the Challenge 

6 minutes ago, andybarton said:

I was there but no one told me where to vote for while in Lyon. 

I don’t like the idea that there is a deliberate effort to skew voting for the next year. That’s totally against the spirit of the Challenge 

I quite agree.

Pete.

27 minutes ago, andybarton said:

I don’t like the idea that there is a deliberate effort to skew voting for the next year. That’s totally against the spirit of the Challenge 

I didn’t like it either, but it didn’t break any rules - though I agree it’s not in the spirit of the event.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, stunsworth said:

I keep suggesting Blackpool (and I'm serious, if you can't find something to photograph there you should find another hobby <grin>), but nothing ever comes of it. Hotels for all pockets are available - or rather will be once they reopen.

I wasn't planning on doing the Athens challenge this year, but even if I were I would have cancelled. The reopening at the moment is driven as much by politics and the economy as it is by science.

I've only been to Blackpool once quite a few years ago, but I agree it would make an interesting challenge destination, especially for Martin Parr fans!

Whilst I wasn't in Lyon I do recall others at previous challenges suggesting to nominate warmer destinations given that the challenge is in October. I must admit I'd like to see some more 'leftfield' places than the typical city destinations that are usually chosen. I think I suggested Croydon and Tel Aviv in the past!

However I have really enjoyed every challenge I've attended in the past, meeting old and new friends being the best part and whilst I won't go to Athens this year I really hope to do many more in the future.

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, earleygallery said:

Whilst I wasn't in Lyon I do recall others at previous challenges suggesting to nominate warmer destinations given that the challenge is in October. I must admit I'd like to see some more 'leftfield' places than the typical city destinations that are usually chosen. I think I suggested Croydon and Tel Aviv in the past!

However I have really enjoyed every challenge I've attended in the past, meeting old and new friends being the best part and whilst I won't go to Athens this year I really hope to do many more in the future.

I seem to remember that in Seville there was quite a strong vote for either Jerusalem or Tel Aviv - I don't remember which but Athens won

Edited by robert_parker

40 minutes ago, robert_parker said:

I seem to remember that in Seville there was quite a strong vote for either Jerusalem or Tel Aviv - I don't remember which but Athens won

What happened to Croydon then?.....

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, earleygallery said:

What happened to Croydon then?.....

How far back shall we go?

Sorry, that's not what you meant, is it? 😜

Edited by Gibbo

10 minutes ago, stunsworth said:

It’s a long story, but basically the airport closed and things fell apart from there. 

No! It fell apart after they opened a Nando's in town.......

The irony is that I've sold my flat (in Croydon) and currently live in a neighbouring borough, and am looking to buy somewhere a little further out. I found out today that my office is relocating to.......East Croydon!!!

I've just read that Greece have change their immigration rules, one has to register on a website 48 hrs before arriving. One will be sent a QR code, which needs to be shown to immigration. One will learn at immigration, whether one needs to be tested for CoV19, the rules deciding this are unclear. If this is the case, one needs to stay quarantined in the hotel room until the test report is available, the paper writes in experience this can be up to 36 hrs. Source is Handelsblatt (in German). I'll hand in a picture of the plastic flower on the desk of my hotel room then :).

If I may make a suggestion - at the moment the situation in October is completely unclear to me, we might get a second wave or the rules can be changed, as we've just seen. For a meeting on the continent it appears to be useful to pick a location in September, which is accessible by car for the usual suspects, err participants (meaning western or central Europe) and has neither an immediate health situation nor special regulations which make travelling questionable.

Rental cars are available on short notice, I wouldn't expect much issues with hotel rooms either. Personally, if I have to pay a cancellation fee due to a last minute situation change, so be it.

I guess we are also all of full age and can make sound judgements regarding our health situation and personal risk.

Stefan

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, StS said:

I've just read that Greece have change their immigration rules, one has to register on a website 48 hrs before arriving. One will be sent a QR code, which needs to be shown to immigration. One will learn at immigration, whether one needs to be tested for CoV19, the rules deciding this are unclear. If this is the case, one needs to stay quarantined in the hotel room until the test report is available, the paper writes in experience this can be up to 36 hrs. Source is Handelsblatt (in German). I'll hand in a picture of the plastic flower on the desk of my hotel room then :).

If I may make a suggestion - at the moment the situation in October is completely unclear to me, we might get a second wave or the rules can be changed, as we've just seen. For a meeting on the continent it appears to be useful to pick a location in September, which is accessible by car for the usual suspects, err participants (meaning western or central Europe) and has neither an immediate health situation nor special regulations which make travelling questionable.

Rental cars are available on short notice, I wouldn't expect much issues with hotel rooms either. Personally, if I have to pay a cancellation fee due to a last minute situation change, so be it.

I guess we are also all of full age and can make sound judgements regarding our health situation and personal risk.

Stefan

I agree with Stephan - this a matter for maturity and judgement based on one's individual circumstances and conscience. 

The idea of taking a decision later rather than sooner also seems to me to be the soundest way forward - it might be that the travel deals aren't quite as fine as we would normally expect but in this situation normal protocols regarding timing don't apply anyway due the the chaos in which the travel industry currently finds itself placed.

So my vote would be to leave it a bit longer and see what opportunities develop - it's a long time between now and October, or whenever we go.

Edited by robert_parker

Regarding a Challenge in Northern Europe - I remember we discussed a possible challenge in Hamburg, where I would be happy to contribute local knowledge but cautioned concerning the weather conditions. November over here is typically the worst month with our core competencies of rain and wind, often in the combination of horizontal rain. Sometimes, November starts already in October over here...

Stefan

I'm just managing the expectations :).

Actually, the hidden charme of northern cities are the long summer evenings. When I moved to Munich, I wondered why they switch off the lights at 10pm.

May to September has my full recommendation (it does never hurt to bring an umbrella, but the same rule applies, which I once learned from an Irishman and probably applies for seaside climate in general - if you don't like the weather, just wait five minutes). One can be lucky in April and in October. I had easter holidays at 25°C and sunshine but also with snow.

Stefan