Athens One Challenge

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...spinning on the yarn about a Hong Kong Challenge - an absolute must-see evening event is going to the horse races. It is completely surreal to have a race track amongst skyscrapers.

I really shouldn't complain about my lot in these times, but I do start to miss the travelling...

Stefan

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, StS said:

Well, I like the idea of a continental One; just to throw more options in the ring (out of self-interest, since I get Germany all over the year :) ), Nice is nice in October, if you excuse the not-so-original pun and a two-day car-drive or a one-very-long-day train ride from Hamburg. Would be very close for Philippe, though, in case he is interested to join a conti-one. Similar for Marseille. Switzerland would be close for Ravi.

Hotels and rental cars can be had on pretty short notice; this combination would allow to take the final decision when the situation looks still good even early October.

Unfortunately, the Hamburg-Harwich ferry was discontinued some years ago.

Stefan

As someone who used the Harwich - Hamburg ferry quite a few times (the Prinz Line, if I remember correctly - think it was the slightly smaller Prinz Hamlet that went to Hamburg, the slightly larger ship went to Bremerhaven..) I have fond memories of the run down the Elbe at dawn towards St Pauli Pier.... 😊 

... possibly less fun  memories of the storms across the North Sea and the Friesian Islands...☝️🙃🤢💨 

Edited by robert_parker
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lanetomlane said:

Depending on the hotel situation and the infection rate I wouldn’t mind going to Nice, or anywhere in Europe that’s driveable. 

....in which case, back to Athens then.... 🚙💨 😁

Being serious for a moment, there are lots of beautiful places in Europe, within driving range, that could be exciting to visit - in France, Deauville, Arles, Perpignan, Cannes all have a strong photographic heritage, there is the totally fascinating Basque Country (Bilbao, St Sebastián) just across the border, one of the little states like Andorra or Liechtenstein (managed to spell that correctly first time 😉) and in Germany there are places like Zingst, Goslar and Hameln; also places like Paris might be a relatively easy run for many forum members, if the city itself is safe.

However, what needs to be carefully considered are the actual risks involved in for instance a one day or two day drive and associated accommodation, as well as the amount of free movement available in the location of choice.  

I can understand why many would not want to go to Athens and it would be a shame to swap one set of risks for the same risks sourced differently; consequently whilst I have a natural enthusiasm for driving and travel, I wouldn't want to encourage anyone to go anywhere against their better judgement. 

Many forum members, like it or not, legitimately fall into higher risk categories and it would be a shame if that particular game of Russian Roulette cost us some good friends or associates (particularly before they'd had chance to Will us their M10R, SL2, Noctilux, 35 FLE etc...😈).

This is one of those situations where you have to use your own judgement and conscience, both in assessing the risks of catching, or transporting, this nasty bug.

Nevertheless, maybe we'll find a way of having some fun.

9 hours ago, robert_parker said:

....in which case, back to Athens then.... 🚙💨 😁

I've driven to Greece before and it's a long haul. It was back in the seventies in a 2week old British Leyland Princess. I remember the run through Yugoslavia being particularly unpleasant because of all the trucks going to the Middle East in those days. In fact, rather than returning the same way we got a ferry to Corfu and then another to Brindisi and drove up through Italy into Switzerland.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, StS said:

You just have to start early, if you come with the Landrover :) (apologies, I think we used this line before).

Please Stefan, give this fine piece of British engineering some respect.😀😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am following all your arguments and I can see that Athens is fading away as a destination for this year. I was keen to go as I have never travelled there and had even given up a competition in Italy at the same date to the profound dismay of my fellow competitors. So, I may reconsider and take part, especially if the solution is to postpone the One Challenge, as suggested, in Spring. So, I am in favour of this postponement.

Pete, the situation doesn't look good in Beijing and we need 6 weeks, minimum, to send the containers with the set & costumes across the seas, so I am not holding my breath.

Stefan: I'd love a challenge in Taiwan! I lived there for a short period in '73 and a longer one in '76. Hong Kong is perfect for me, too, as it has been my second country/place for many years.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lanetomlane said:

My vote would be Hong Kong as I've spent so much time in Taiwan that I don't think I'd be interested in going again.

Hong Kong sounds fun... I wonder how long it takes to drive there....🚙💨 ☺️

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, lanetomlane said:

I've driven to Greece before and it's a long haul. It was back in the seventies in a 2week old British Leyland Princess. I remember the run through Yugoslavia being particularly unpleasant because of all the trucks going to the Middle East in those days. In fact, rather than returning the same way we got a ferry to Corfu and then another to Brindisi and drove up through Italy into Switzerland.

I think to be honest the old Yugoslavia route is tricky anyway in the current climate, it's probably necessary to run in from the North and come in through Thessaloniki 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lanetomlane said:

Please Stefan, give this fine piece of British engineering some respect.😀😉

Well, I guess it is part of the concept: it will certainly get you there - eventually.

There might be a similar benefit as attributed to the Citroën 2CV, it was said to be the safest car in the world. When the accident happened, the 2CV was not there yet...

Seriously, I would assume it has built-in defensive driving, I got a Range Rover as a rental for a longer motorway tour, although the car could be driven fast I subconciously slowed down after a while, since I guess it was against the concept of the vehicle.

Stefan

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I dont mind driving somewhere in Europe, which is easy for the Brits to get to. 

I was looking forward to Athens and would still go if folk were coming. But I fully understand many of us are at risk, so I would wear a mask if we do meet up, which would make talking, drinking and eating less than fun. 

Champagne region - Rheims? Although Epernay has my favourite vintner. 

Black Forest Region - Freiburg? 

Alsace - Colmar or Strasbourg? Not Mulhouse! And yes Lars & Stefan, there is a restaurant which has held 3* since 1963 there which has excellent accomodation. 

Mustard Region - Dijon? 

Lyon again, as the food and location were excellent. 

Burgundy region - I dont know exactly when Beaujolais is, but I suspect Oct. is too early. 

Belgium or Nederlands? All cities and towns are favourable. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sandokan said:

I was looking forward to Athens and would still go if folk were coming. But I fully understand many of us are at risk, so I would wear a mask if we do meet up, which would make talking, drinking and eating less than fun. 

I would take about the same position but maybe would manage without the mask where possible (not the least because if I were to wear a mask, I would look too much like my photo in the post office... 🤠)

• Haha 3

On 6/27/2020 at 4:20 PM, farnz said:

I recall that a Spring Seaside Challenge was held for a couple of years (Brighton 2011 and then Whitby 2012?) but not since.

On 6/28/2020 at 12:00 AM, robert_parker said:

...given that the decision is taken (by the forum members) not to proceed this year (might be Cleethorpes 2021.... 😷)

I keep suggesting Blackpool (and I'm serious, if you can't find something to photograph there you should find another hobby <grin>), but nothing ever comes of it. Hotels for all pockets are available - or rather will be once they reopen.

I wasn't planning on doing the Athens challenge this year, but even if I were I would have cancelled. The reopening at the moment is driven as much by politics and the economy as it is by science.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Sandokan said:

But I fully understand many of us are at risk, so I would wear a mask if we do meet up, which would make talking, drinking and eating less than fun. 

Not to mention that talking aside a mask would make eating and drinking enjoyably messy.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, stunsworth said:

Not to mention that talking aside a mask would make eating and drinking enjoyably messy.

Yes the mask protocol is interesting because if you need to wear a mask in one city then you will in any of the cities suggested , whether it’s Athens, Blackpool, Deauville or the Black Forest

little-known Greek proverb: “He that wears a mask in Athens wears it all over the world“

Edited by robert_parker

5 minutes ago, robert_parker said:

Yes the mask protocol is interesting because if you need to wear a mask in one city then you will in any of the cities suggested , whether it’s Athens, Blackpool, Deauville or the Black Forest

little-known Greek proverb: “He that wears a mask in Athens wears it all over the world“

The big advantage of a destination that's drivable (for us in the UK that's the UK itself and northern Europe) is that you don't have to sit in a small cylinder with several hundred other people breathing recycled air.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stunsworth said:

The big advantage of a destination that's drivable (for us in the UK that's the UK itself and northern Europe)

... and southern Europe.  I helped keep the passenger seat in Robert's BMW anchored on a drive to Seville for last year's One Challenge, Steve.

Pete.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, farnz said:

... and southern Europe.  I helped keep the passenger seat in Robert's BMW anchored on a drive to Seville for last year's One Challenge, Steve.

Pete.

Well, I was told in Lyon that it was never going to return to Northern Europe, so make sure Robert has the car serviced <grin>.

• Haha 1