Athens One Challenge

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I understand we are now allowed to travel to Luxemburg again * . It is discussed to make summer holidays in Italy possible again, so a lot can change until October.

Stefan

*up to now, it was not even allowed to travel to the neighbouring state of Schleswig-Holstein to get a bit of fresh air at the baltic sea, while the other way around our northern neighbours still came for shopping - license plates over here are telling your place of registration; for a rental car, it will be a different region anyhow.

Edited by StS
  • Like 1

Am 18.5.2020 um 06:53 schrieb StS:

I understand we are now allowed to travel to Luxemburg again 

Stefan, there were no restrictions for us Germans to cross the border to Luxembourg.

The Luxembourg people were not allowed to enter Germany (and Belgium and France). 
So Lux people were prisoners in their own little country 😞
I can assure you that they were not amused about Seehofer!

John (who still believes that we will meet in Athens this year)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sorry, John, I've misunderstood a radio announcement then. Living in a city-state, we were technically locked in our city, a bit like under siege.

I have my own opinion about Mr. Seehofer as well :)

And yes, still giving Athens a chance myself.

Stefan

Edited by StS
self-censorship :)
  • Like 1

The Greeks must be desperate if they allow British citizens in without quarantine (still has a high rate of new infections every day and has not yet reached the top of the curve). The Germans and French have closed the borders to non-nationals, so Switzerland is also locked up. We are hoping for an opening on 15 June - if only to buy essentials such as Weetabix, Alpen, Porridge, Little Scarlett Strawberry jam and Hellmans mayonnaise. As well as cheap meat too (good steak here costs CHF112/kg (about €100 or £90)). 

I am not looking forward to flying again. I have enjoyed my 3 months without a single flight. 

I also believe Athens will happen this year!

Edited by Sandokan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As the UK has the 2nd highest rate of cases and deaths it’s no surprise that other countries will ban us from travelling. Not to mention the fact that anyone coming back has to quarantine for 2 weeks! 

Basically, it’s impossible to travel from the UK for the foreseeable future. 

1 hour ago, earleygallery said:

As the UK has the 2nd highest rate of cases and deaths it’s no surprise that other countries will ban us from travelling. Not to mention the fact that anyone coming back has to quarantine for 2 weeks! 

Basically, it’s impossible to travel from the UK for the foreseeable future. 

...a lot of assumptions in that James - best to wait and see.

• Like 2

Well, I found Andy's suggestion very good to wait until end of June to see how to proceed. This still offers more than two months for booking. In normal times, this would allow to avoid the price increase close to departure for last minute business travellers. I have no clue how pricing works for airlines in not so normal times like these, there is a chance they even don't have pricing model themselves for such a situation.

Stefan

• Like 2

When flights from the U.K. to Greece in a couple of weeks time there will be a minimum of 7 days quarantine if you’re flying from Manchester, Heathrow or Gatwick.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/31/greece-to-resume-flights-from-uk-on-15-june-with-strict-rules

Edited by stunsworth

1 hour ago, stunsworth said:

When flights from the U.K. to Greece in a couple of weeks time there will be a minimum of 7 days quarantine if you’re flying from Manchester, Heathrow or Gatwick.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/31/greece-to-resume-flights-from-uk-on-15-june-with-strict-rules

The two tier system described in the article ends in July and there will only be spot checks afterwards; still a long way to go before the trip gets ruled out.

Edited by robert_parker

8 minutes ago, robert_parker said:

The two tier system described in the article ends in July and there will only be spot checks afterwards; still a long way to go before the trip gets ruled out.

Given the UK’s shambolic response to the virus I’d be amazed if there are unrestricted flights to Greece by Ocrober. I’d love to be proved wrong. 

Edited by stunsworth

I always have great respect for your opinion but I would say hold back and wait for the facts; allowing some speculation on my own part I suspect that the issue won't be flying into Greece, which may well mean that the challenge will be open to many forum members outside the UK but for those within the UK borders it will be what quarantine measures the UK retains and with what jurisdictions they are willing to interact, that will make the difference.

Edited by robert_parker

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I won’t start to fuel speculation but this is some reporting from The Times of London
https://apple.news/AZVymr_rATwCAdpocDAoA5g

The link is bad unless you are using an Apple device but the article suggests that there might be 'Air Bridges' in place in time for the challenge.

Edited by robert_parker