Athens One Challenge

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2020 at 10:26 AM, farnz said:

In my view the One Challenge isn't really about the photography side of things but about seeing old friends, meeting new ones, having a pleasant time and a few laughs, and getting to know a new venue a little so I'd be happy if it just skipped a year if the situation is the same in October.  Happy either way really.

Pete.

You've forgotten having a beer, or two.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lanetomlane said:

You've forgotten having a beer, or two.

1 hour ago, Gibbo said:

I haven't 😜

… Given, as I hope will be the case, that we'll be to all intents and purposes out of this and all make it to the event, I think I might take up drinking for the duration of 'The One' Challenge… think I'll start with a neat Meths and a Match (lousy taste but great kick - tried some by mistake in a lab class once... 😆)

41 minutes ago, farnz said:

By the way, Tom, I hope you and Eileen are both well and not stranded in some far-flung corner of the world.  (Does a globe have corners ... ?)

Pete.

Thanks Pete, we were going to Florida in a week or two but I guess now we'll be lucky if we can make Southend. Trust you are staying safe and well.

Cheers, Tom

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, lanetomlane said:

Thanks Pete, we were going to Florida in a week or two but I guess now we'll be lucky if we can make Southend. Trust you are staying safe and well.

Cheers, Tom

I am thanks, Tom, but cabin fever is creeping up.  I can feel it ...

Pete.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, farnz said:

I am thanks, Tom, but cabin fever is creeping up.  I can feel it ...

Pete.

I know what you mean. I had two weeks of self quarantine after returning from Singapore, 2 days of freedom followed by 18 days of "stay at home". The windows have been polished twice - if only to get a better view of the world. 

My jeans no longer fit, my stretchy jogging bottoms may need to be let out and I no longer bother with the bottom buttons on a shirt - the video camera is pointed upwards. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Good afternoon everyone.

As this situation continues to upset anything and everything about "normal" life, I just thought that it might be an idea to post an update on the current thinking re the Challenge this year.

October seems a long way off, but it is still unclear where the world will be by then, especially with regards to flights, hotels, restaurants and cafes etc. Indeed, visitors might still not be allowed into the country at all, or might still need quarantining when they get back! Who knows? (Not me).

I think that it would be sensible to take stock at the end of June. Things might be a little bit clearer by then, either way and a decision to proceed or defer for 12 months can be made then.

We have already booked flights, accommodation and car hire, some of which can be cancelled, but maybe some can't.

I would therefore suggest that if you are planning to join the Challenge (and why wouldn't you?) and have not already booked flights, it might be sensible to wait until the end of June before doing so.

I don't want anyone to be out of pocket!

Thanks, and "Stay Home. Stay Safe"

• Thanks 5

• 2 weeks later...

This is only from UK perspective but July 4th is one of the advertised 'milestone' dates for the next major review of policy and other arrangements such as travel.  Might be worth hanging on until at least then before coming to a decision, at least from this jurisdiction, as there might reasonably be some additional insight into the prospects for travel and a review of international matters based on the experience of others.

• Thanks 2