Athens One Challenge

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Basic details:

Saturday 10th October 2020

Noon

Athens

That's all there is for now!

But, this was in the Guardian today - something to consider

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2020/jan/07/hot-spot-the-tribes-of-the-acropolis-in-pictures

Thanks Andy. Hotel Zafolia looks good but quite expensive for what it is. 

I also checked flights - Easyjet flies there but only on Wednesdays so I would have to stay the whole week. There are worse places to be I guess. 

Anybody interested in a quick weekend trip there in Spring to scout it out? 

I would but not sure if I could make it. 

We have sorted accommodation and paid for flights so there’s definitely two of us going 😊

I am in for the Challenge. 

As for the scouting trip in Spring, maybe not - I may have a dozen boxes of toilet paper to finish up this year :) 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 3/12/2020 at 9:54 PM, Sandokan said:

I am in for the Challenge. 

As for the scouting trip in Spring, maybe not - I may have a dozen boxes of toilet paper to finish up this year :) 

If you're unable to use the toilet rolls, Ravi, I feel sure that the Invisible Man will take them.

Pete.

2 hours ago, farnz said:

If you're unable to use the toilet rolls, Ravi, I feel sure that the Invisible Man will take them.

Pete.

I had an appointment with the Invisible Man - but I had to tell him I couldn't see him.... 😎

Let’s see how this develops. Ann thought of the “Take a photograph within a mile of your home Challenge” a few years ago. I think it might have been one New Year’s Day. 

Anyway, something like that could be a good idea.

Before Christmas, Ravi invited me for a recce weekend in Athens in April, but I couldn’t afford the time then. Obviously that wouldn’t be happening now in any case.

Posted (edited)

In my view the One Challenge isn't really about the photography side of things but about seeing old friends, meeting new ones, having a pleasant time and a few laughs, and getting to know a new venue a little so I'd be happy if it just skipped a year if the situation is the same in October.  Happy either way really.

Pete.

Edited by farnz

...until you spend most of the workday in video calls, the sensation starts to wear off slightly and I wonder, whether the headset will make a permanent impression. :)

My suggestion would be to wait how things develop. I have the (nonscientifically funded) gut feeling that things might have cleared up until October. I'm confident they will be happy to sell us flights and hotels to boost at least their Q4 results.

Stefan

Just my opinion.

I think this will all be over after Easter. It is all about slowing down / stopping the spread of the virus and 5 weeks should do that, followed by a couple of extra weeks just to be sure. 

I am keeping track through this tracker. No evidence that it is slowing down yet. https://www.corona-data.ch/ but we have had "stay at home" for just a week now. 

I am still hopeful for a holiday in USA in July and no concerns for the One Challenge. 

My hope is that by October we will have a vaccin but without this it might be difficult to stop the virus.

Having cancelled a trip to Venice earlier in March and probably cancelling a week on North Uist in June any day now, it will be a remarkable year to have one’s first holiday in October. 

Probably, every generation says this (maybe history is only linear when looking back), but we appear to live in strange times.

Stefan