Contax G lens adapter success and failure.

assinder

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So the adapter works positively with the sl? Theres no play in the mount?  I had issues with the leica m macro adapter to L mount before so im wary to use kipon again, but i always wanted to try g lenses.

Edited by cboy

• 3 months later...

I decided to go down this rabbit hole and have been very pleased so far with lens performance. 

Here are my findings...

Kipon adapter is built well and has no play.

45mm & 90mm work flawlessly. Incredibly Sharp. 

35mm exhibits corner smearing wide open and goes away around 5.6 / 8. Worst performing lens on digital sensors. Needs a PCX Filter.

28mm needs the tabs chopped off and works beautifully with the SL, no corner smearing or drastic color shifts compared to sony A7R. No need for a PCX Filter imo. Amazing lens.

Considering buying the legendary 21mm and chopping off the tabs as well. Another user has mentioned corner smearing when converted to M-mount. Hopefully this is not the case. The rear element does not protrude as much as the 28mm. Anyone have more insight or a copy for sale?

• 9 months later...

Late to the post. I found that you actually don’t need to remove the tab to fit g21/28 on SL body. The tabs will protrude into the rectangular opening in the body limiting the rotation of the lens-adapter assembly. The trick is to install the adapter on the camera first. G lenses actually don’t rotate when installed on the mount. I am only curious now if the rear group including the round tabs of  g35-70 fit into 36x24cm opening. 

• 1 month later...

Can anyone comment on what the focusing experiencs is like with the Kipon adapter? I have some legacy Contax/Yashica lenses that I love and am adapting, but I'm drawn to the G adapter because of the much shorter flange focal distance of the G cameras, allowing the lens to sit much closer to the body.  I think this will be especially beneficial on the CL.  But I've some got some reservations anout manually-focusing an AF lens via an adapter.  Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 8/17/2022 at 10:51 PM, MJB said:

Can anyone comment on what the focusing experiencs is like with the Kipon adapter? I have some legacy Contax/Yashica lenses that I love and am adapting, but I'm drawn to the G adapter because of the much shorter flange focal distance of the G cameras, allowing the lens to sit much closer to the body.  I think this will be especially beneficial on the CL.  But I've some got some reservations anout manually-focusing an AF lens via an adapter.  Thanks.

You've gotta focus with the metal ring on the kipon adapter. It's stiff, and thin, so if you've got quite large/thick fingers it could be a pain. 

Takes a while to get used to it, but well worth it for the amazing lenses you get at this price/quality ratio. 

Remember the 21mm has quite prominent magenta vignetting and the 28mm ever so slightly (but still better than the sonys).
My favorite lenses on the SL are 28, 45, 90 !

2 hours ago, jo kami said:

You've gotta focus with the metal ring on the kipon adapter. It's stiff, and thin, so if you've got quite large/thick fingers it could be a pain. 

Takes a while to get used to it, but well worth it for the amazing lenses you get at this price/quality ratio. 

Remember the 21mm has quite prominent magenta vignetting and the 28mm ever so slightly (but still better than the sonys).
My favorite lenses on the SL are 28, 45, 90 !

I actually went ahead and ordered the adapter and just got it yesterday - great timing!

The focus rings is not the greatest feel, but I'm getting used to it.  It seemed to have a rough spot where it stick a little, but it feels like it's breaking in.  Not as nice feeling as a true manual focus lens, but it works.  I have the 28, 45, and 90 G lenses and feel like that's a pretty ideal spread and a relatively compact set.  I wish I could use them on my CL (which I prefer in many ways over the SL), but the crop factor of course turns the lenses into weird effective focal lengths, and I don't think the 28 is even useable without trimming, which I'm reluctant to do.

4 minutes ago, MJB said:

I actually went ahead and ordered the adapter and just got it yesterday - great timing!

The focus rings is not the greatest feel, but I'm getting used to it.  It seemed to have a rough spot where it stick a little, but it feels like it's breaking in.  Not as nice feeling as a true manual focus lens, but it works.  I have the 28, 45, and 90 G lenses and feel like that's a pretty ideal spread and a relatively compact set.  I wish I could use them on my CL (which I prefer in many ways over the SL), but the crop factor of course turns the lenses into weird effective focal lengths, and I don't think the 28 is even useable without trimming, which I'm reluctant to do.

Did you also find you can adapt the 28 G to the SL camera without clipping the rear tabs on the 28 G? I am able to adapt the 28 G to Sony Emount with a flange distance of 18mm without any need to clip the tabs on the lens. I think the Lmount is a flange distance of 20mm. 

1 hour ago, LBJ2 said:

Did you also find you can adapt the 28 G to the SL camera without clipping the rear tabs on the 28 G? I am able to adapt the 28 G to Sony Emount with a flange distance of 18mm without any need to clip the tabs on the lens. I think the Lmount is a flange distance of 20mm. 

The 28 fits on the SL but not as readily as the 45 or 90.  You have to give it just a little bit of extra push to engage the bayonet mount, which is a little nerve-wracking, but it seems to work okay once mounted.  I cannot get it to mount on the CL at all.  I think in both cases it would be easier if the tabs were trimmed, but I'm not 100% sure that the rea relement would clear the CL's sensor.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/19/2020 at 11:24 AM, michali said:

Hi Nick, I was also thinking of trimming the tabs at the back of the lens.  However I suspect that's only 1/2  the problem, the rear lens element also seems to stick out past the rear of the adapter. I'm concerned about how close this element gets to the camera's sensor.

Best

Mike

On 5/28/2021 at 4:52 AM, marckrause said:

i just got my adapter. 35 mm works fine but i have trouble mounting the 45 mm. it doesnt rotate in enough so i can fix it with the litte metal piece that stops it from rotating back.

Anyone got this issue or has an idea how to solve this? 

But with the 35 mm it works wonderful!

On 1/14/2020 at 11:23 AM, Danno_photoguy said:

Thanks for the info.

I have 5 Contax G lenses: 90mm Sonnar, 45mm Planar, 35mm Planar, 28mm Biogon and 16mm Hologan.

I agree with you comments on the 90mm f2.8 Sonnar & 45mm f2 Planar can add that:

- 35mm Planar works seamlessly on the SL & CL

- 16mm Hologon does not work on the SL or CL.  I have it in a M mount and does work on my M bodies (film and digital)

I did hope that the would work on the SL, but I had problems with it.

In regards to getting the lenses off the adapter, my screwdriver bent the leaver a bit and now it appears to work.

On 5/28/2021 at 6:45 PM, gbealnz said:

Can I be an absolute pain please. I've read, and re-read this thread. Is there a definitive list of lenses that work, and those that do not work. All I can see is that the 21 and 16 will not. The 28 I am not sure, while the 35, 45, and 90 seem to work OK?

And, is there any difference, T/TL/TL2/CL as opposed the SL?

Gary

On 9/11/2022 at 6:41 AM, MJB said:

The 28 fits on the SL but not as readily as the 45 or 90.  You have to give it just a little bit of extra push to engage the bayonet mount, which is a little nerve-wracking, but it seems to work okay once mounted.  I cannot get it to mount on the CL at all.  I think in both cases it would be easier if the tabs were trimmed, but I'm not 100% sure that the rea relement would clear the CL's sensor.

Thanks all for motivating me to try the Kipon Contax G to Leica Lmount adapter for my Contax G lenses 28, 45, 90 on my SL2. I did a quick test today with all three and a G 28 wide-open corners at F2.8 compare on both the Sony A1 and the Leica SL2:

-Most importantly, similar to Sony Emount cameras, no need to clip CZ Contax G28 back tabs to adapt this lens to the Leica SL2 using the Kipon adapter (KIPON Adapter for Contax G-Mount Lens to Leica L-Mount Camera)

-Like @marckrause I had some trouble initially adapting the Contax G 45 to the Kipon/SL2 adapter, Contax G 90 and 28 adapted perfectly, first try

-From my experience, CZ Contax G 28, 45, 90 are all adaptable to the SL2 with the Kipon adapter. Seems from others in this thread, the CZ Contax G 35 too

-See below heavily/extreme cropped left corner screen shot of lanai carpet test handheld with the Contax G 28 at F2.8 adapted: Top left = Leica SL2 w/ Kipon adapter, top right = Sony A1 w/ TechArt AF adapter, bottom image is the Sony A1 + TechArt adapter and the PCX filter (homemade) screwed on to the front of the Contax G 28. * I pushed vignetting corners on each image to +56 in LRC to better see smear/cast otherwise SOOC converted to jpeg. I left the chair leg in the crop just for reference 

• 10 months later...

I've just seen that there is a second adapter for mounting Contax G lenses on L-cameras.

The adapter is from Laina and costs 44 Euros:

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005005700204525.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.43.28654d7cQA5QFy&algo_pvid=ee4c0f2e-a6a8-4f00-9e70-c95b457ac966&algo_exp_id=ee4c0f2e-a6a8-4f00-9e70-c95b457ac966-21&pdp_npi=4%40dis!EUR!44.00!44.0!!!337.18!!%40210313e916940078328337027e1292!12000034050635123!sea!LU!0!A&curPageLogUid=moirKr5BM1E0&gatewayAdapt=glo2deu

I would like to ask if users of Contax G lenses on Leica SL2/SL2-S and Leica CL are still happy with the rendering of Contax G lenses on Leica SL2/SL2-S and Leica CL.

I am mainly interested in 28mm and 45mm lenses and to a minor degree in the 35mm lens.

Thanks in advance

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

The manufacturer "rework-lens" sells Leica M-mount converters for Contax 21, 28, 35 and 45 on Ebay.
But I can't find any more information on the subject.

https://www.ebay.de/str/reworklens?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=707-127634-2357-0&ssspo=PYpjxpJ9Szu&sssrc=3418065&ssuid=CmGjtfulSqa&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I converted a Contax G 28mm using the rework-lens kit a few weeks ago. I also converted a the 45mm and 35mm G lenses using the Funleader conversion kits a few months back. 

All 3 work very well, and it's a lot of fun having G lenses on an M body - the G lens series were my favorite lenses, especially the 45mm, but I sold all of them when I went digital. Yes, I bought them again to convert to M lenses. 

The Funleader is a little higher quality and nicer-looking than the rework-lens kit, but the rework-lens it totally fine. The lettering is a bit wonky and the helicoid is a little rougher, but it's a small issue compared with being able to use the G 28mm lenses again. 

I haven't tried the 21mm kit, but I expect it'll be much the same. 

The trickiest part of all the conversions is getting the lens spacing correct. I used a digital M body and focused using the rangefinder on a ruler lying on a table at about 2-3 meters. If the captured image had an object focus further than the actual focus I added to the spacer, it too close I reduced it. Both kits come with a set of spacers, I think in 100 um increments. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2023 at 10:03 AM, Krycek said:

I've just seen that there is a second adapter for mounting Contax G lenses on L-cameras.

The adapter is from Laina and costs 44 Euros:

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005005700204525.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.43.28654d7cQA5QFy&algo_pvid=ee4c0f2e-a6a8-4f00-9e70-c95b457ac966&algo_exp_id=ee4c0f2e-a6a8-4f00-9e70-c95b457ac966-21&pdp_npi=4%40dis!EUR!44.00!44.0!!!337.18!!%40210313e916940078328337027e1292!12000034050635123!sea!LU!0!A&curPageLogUid=moirKr5BM1E0&gatewayAdapt=glo2deu

I would like to ask if users of Contax G lenses on Leica SL2/SL2-S and Leica CL are still happy with the rendering of Contax G lenses on Leica SL2/SL2-S and Leica CL.

I am mainly interested in 28mm and 45mm lenses and to a minor degree in the 35mm lens.

Thanks in advance

I am not a fan of the too thin manual focus ring on the very similar design/build of the Contax-G to L-mount Kippon or Laina adapters, however the Laina adapter's low price prompted me to try this adapter again.  

So far, the Laina adapter's design, tight fit and finish looks very good on the camera with the silver Contax G 28 lens. I need to do more real-world IQ testing in a couple different scenarios with this adapter on the SL2 with and without the PCX filter ( *the PCX filter helps improve the corners at F2.8 with the Contax G Lens on digital sensors). My experience so far is no difference in use or IQ from using the Kippon other than the much lower price. 

Kit wise, certainly a good looking compact/lightweight SL2 kit. 

• Thanks 1

vor 6 Stunden schrieb LBJ2:

Je ne suis pas fan de la bague de mise au point manuelle trop fine sur la conception/construction très similaire des adaptateurs Contax-G vers monture L Kippon ou Laina, cependant le bas prix de l'adaptateur Laina m'a incité à réessayer cet adaptateur.  

Jusqu'à présent, la conception, l'ajustement serré et la finition de l'adaptateur Laina sont très bons sur l'appareil photo équipé de l'objectif Contax G 28 argenté. Je dois faire davantage de tests de QI dans le monde réel dans quelques scénarios différents avec cet adaptateur sur le SL2 avec et sans le filtre PCX (*le filtre PCX aide à améliorer les coins à F2.8 avec l'objectif Contax G sur les capteurs numériques). Mon expérience jusqu'à présent ne fait aucune différence d'utilisation ou de QI par rapport à l'utilisation du Kippon autre que le prix beaucoup plus bas. 

En termes de kit, certainement un beau kit SL2 compact/léger. 

Super! Very nice!
I can't wait to read about your tests with the Laina adapter, this lens and with or without filter!
Good work!

• Like 1

On 9/23/2023 at 3:02 PM, Krycek said:

Super! Very nice!
I can't wait to read about your tests with the Laina adapter, this lens and with or without filter!
Good work!

Thank you. After some hours with this Contax G 28 + Laina Adapter+ SL2 kit, the filter appears to contribute up to a significant difference along the corners and edges of the frame with the Conatx G even to F5.6 ( Similar to what I see on Sony sensors too). This applies to close, medium and far distance compositions. 

1: First image with the filter ( click on image for more detail) 

2: Second image is without the filter ( click on mage for more detail) 

3. Screen shots depict left and right side of the frame of both images Left side without the filter, Right side with the filter 

These photos were edited in LR: using Adobe Color Profile, LR Landscape 5 (LN05) Preset, subtracted Vignette to +72  

*Images are both F5.6 even though the camera estimated F4.8 (EXIF)

Edited by LBJ2
  • Thanks 1