Contax G lens adapter success and failure.

assinder

Advertisement (gone after registration)

100% crop of above image unprocessed.

Great detail & sharpness.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

4 minutes ago, michali said:

Image with the SL2 & Contax G 45mm Planar ISO200 f2 @ 1/50s

Can you explain the magenta bleed all over the bottom left corner and above your cat? Thanks...

3 minutes ago, wellfleet said:

Can you explain the magenta bleed all over the bottom left corner and above your cat? Thanks...

That's Jpeg artefact from the quick compression I did to post here. 

I've now redone it as "Save for Web"

40 minutes ago, michali said:

I received the adapter and very pleased with it. It works on both the SL2 as well as the CL.

I have 3 Contax G lenses: 90mm Sonnar, 45mm Planar & 28mm Biogon.

90mm f2.8 Sonnar & 45mm f2 Planar - Both of these lenses work seamlessly on the SL2 & CL. Focus is smooth and aperture clicks nicely into place. IQ is excellent- see next post.

28mm f2.8 Biogon - doesn't fit on either camera. The tabs on the rear of the lens and the rear element of the lens, protrude past the adapter and bump up against the mount chamber. 

In terms of removing the lens, I noticed that you have to set the aperture to between f8 & f11 in order to remove the lens from the adapter. You'll notice that f8 to f11 are the default setting on the lens when it's removed.

Thanks for the info.

I have 5 Contax G lenses: 90mm Sonnar, 45mm Planar, 35mm Planar, 28mm Biogon and 16mm Hologan.

I agree with you comments on the 90mm f2.8 Sonnar & 45mm f2 Planar can add that:

- 35mm Planar works seamlessly on the SL & CL

- 16mm Hologon does not work on the SL or CL.  I have it in a M mount and does work on my M bodies (film and digital)

I did hope that the would work on the SL, but I had problems with it.

In regards to getting the lenses off the adapter, my screwdriver bent the leaver a bit and now it appears to work.

OK I promise this is the last cat picture 🤥   Raining here this PM, so the cats have been hanging around my studio; they're perfect subjects to test lenses on when no one else is available. 

Leica CL & Contax G 90mm f2.8 Sonnar.   IQ, colours and resolution are excellent as well with the CL.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, michali said:

OK I promise this is the last cat picture 🤥   Raining here this PM, so the cats have been hanging around my studio; they're perfect subjects to test lenses on when no one else is available. 

Leica CL & Contax G 90mm f2.8 Sonnar.   IQ, colours and resolution are excellent as well with the CL.

Hello Mike,

Nice photos. Nice cats.

You should continue using cats as subjects because they are not only nice to look at but they also provide a wide range of colors & textures as well as fine detail, etc. Win, win, win, etc.

Best Regards,

Michael

4 hours ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

Hello Mike,

Nice photos. Nice cats.

You should continue using cats as subjects because they are not only nice to look at but they also provide a wide range of colors & textures as well as fine detail, etc. Win, win, win, etc.

Best Regards,

Michael

Thank you Michael, appreciate your comments. You're right they make very good subjects with great expressions.

I divide my time between my domestic cats and wild cats. It always reminds me of the snide comment someone made on this Forum some years ago about Leica owners spending all this money to take pictures of their cats 😂

Here's a really grumpy cat   -Sony Alpha 850 & Leica VE R 105-280mm f4.2 with Leitax Mount:

Edited by michali

On 1/15/2020 at 12:25 AM, michali said:

I received the adapter and very pleased with it. It works on both the SL2 as well as the CL.

I have 3 Contax G lenses: 90mm Sonnar, 45mm Planar & 28mm Biogon.

90mm f2.8 Sonnar & 45mm f2 Planar - Both of these lenses work seamlessly on the SL2 & CL. Focus is smooth and aperture clicks nicely into place. IQ is excellent- see next post.

28mm f2.8 Biogon - doesn't fit on either camera. The tabs on the rear of the lens and the rear element of the lens, protrude past the adapter and bump up against the mount chamber. 

Thank you for the experiment. Its a pity the wide angles didn't work.

On 1/13/2020 at 11:37 AM, Danno_photoguy said:

OK, I went in with a small screwdriver and lifter the latch, got the lens off, but fearful of placing another one on it. 

Hi,

I am glad to find out that you have the same problem of "cannot remove the lens from the adapter".

I also sat the aperture "between f8 and f11" but still have no result. Please let me know if you have further solution. Thanks in advance

quidam

I am glad this has proved so useful. I have just tried the 45mm and 90mm on my CL again and they do indeed work so I have no idea why my first attempt failed, not careful enough probably,  I am just delighted to be proved wrong! It does seem to be the case that the 21m and 28mm can't work because the lens prongs are too long and knock up against the throat inside the CL. I wonder if they could be trimmed without damaging anything - I'm not the one to risk it.

As far as lenses jamming on the adapter is concerned,  I experienced this problem with other adapters (G to Sony nex) and it does seem to be the case that the little locking tab on the adapter is the problem and needs adjusting or bending to allow it to be removed. I also think different copies of the same adapter don't always exhibit the same problem -  quality control I guess. 

I now wonder if this was the problem with the 35-70 which I managed to mount on the adapter but had a hell of a job removing, so panicked that I might break something. I might buy a second adapter purely to see if I can "adapt" it with a screwdriver. I will give it more thought as it would be great to have the zoom work on the CL as the ability to use higher IS0 speeds would overcome the 3.5 aperture restriction.

All in all though, this has been a great find and I hope everyone has good experiences with it. All tips and tricks are gratefully received!

Nick.

47 minutes ago, assinder said:

........... It does seem to be the case that the 21m and 28mm can't work because the lens prongs are too long and knock up against the throat inside the CL. I wonder if they could be trimmed without damaging anything - I'm not the one to risk it......

Hi Nick, I was also thinking of trimming the tabs at the back of the lens.  However I suspect that's only 1/2  the problem, the rear lens element also seems to stick out past the rear of the adapter. I'm concerned about how close this element gets to the camera's sensor.

Best

Mike

Edited by michali

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2020 at 2:23 PM, Danno_photoguy said:

Thanks for the info.

I have 5 Contax G lenses: 90mm Sonnar, 45mm Planar, 35mm Planar, 28mm Biogon and 16mm Hologan.

I agree with you comments on the 90mm f2.8 Sonnar & 45mm f2 Planar can add that:

- 35mm Planar works seamlessly on the SL & CL

- 16mm Hologon does not work on the SL or CL.  I have it in a M mount and does work on my M bodies (film and digital)

I did hope that the would work on the SL, but I had problems with it.

In regards to getting the lenses off the adapter, my screwdriver bent the leaver a bit and now it appears to work.

Same here, had trouble with an M modified 16 Hologon on the SL, yet it mounts  on M bodies without any mechanical issues. 

Edited by JMF

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

This is amazing. i just had to make an forum account. I already gave up on adapting the Contax g lenses to the sl2s 

but since Contax g system is my main working system these news are so amazing. I just ordered the adapter. wasn't easy to find. Ebay.de doesnt show it in the results 

and i had to go to Ebay.com. thank you for sharing your experiences. Looking forward to finally shoot these lenses digitally. 

• 4 weeks later...

i just got my adapter. 35 mm works fine but i have trouble mounting the 45 mm. it doesnt rotate in enough so i can fix it with the litte metal piece that stops it from rotating back.

Anyone got this issue or has an idea how to solve this? 

But with the 35 mm it works wonderful!

Can I be an absolute pain please. I've read, and re-read this thread. Is there a definitive list of lenses that work, and those that do not work. All I can see is that the 21 and 16 will not. The 28 I am not sure, while the 35, 45, and 90 seem to work OK?

And, is there any difference, T/TL/TL2/CL as opposed the SL?

Gary