Logo and red dot traveling shields for SL2?

setuporg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica were informed at the time of the theft and marked their SAP based records accordingly.  I understand that the items can now never be serviced or repaired by Leica.

However whilst all reputable main dealers will check with such a data base before agreeing to part exchange etc. it does not mean there are no dealers willing to trade in such goods.

The point that once the thieves had identified the camera then they would have followed me anyway is a valid one.

But having the Leica Logo on display is a very big help to their spotters.  These are professional gangs. 

• Like 1

Can the large white “Leica” paint be removed from the CL? Several years ago I removed the white “M” from a black chrome M by picking the paint out of the engraving with just a wooden tooth pick. It didnt look bad at all.  In fact I like it better.

I realize black gaffers tape would work...

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Jeffry Abt said:

Can the large white “Leica” paint be removed from the CL? Several years ago I removed the white “M” from a black chrome M by picking the paint out of the engraving with just a wooden tooth pick. It didnt look bad at all.  In fact I like it better.

I realize black gaffers tape would work...

I used black touch up paint on my S1R, was easily removed when I sold the camera. See the link below:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/295943-s-t-r-a-p/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-3732982

I was surprised to read how few members have had 'The Public', having recognised the camera, come up to them when out shooting. None of my M's has ever sported a Red Dot (M2; M8.2; M9-P; M-D 262) but, even so, I frequently encounter other Leica-toting chaps notice the thing even although I invariably carry my camera on a wrist-strap which means it's hanging down somewhere below the level of my left hip.

Of course it could be that our fellow Leica users, sharp-eyed as we all know them to be, spot my M when they are merely having a double-take of the dodgy-looking geezer with what appears to be a muggers cosh in their left hand.

Philip.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeff S said:

So you changed your practice of leaving black paint upon sale?  

Jeff

Sold my Fuji XT-2 with the black paint -stealth version . When I sold the S1R my dealer asked me if I could remove it the black paint, which I did.  It took a toothpick & 1/2 an hour.

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Black electrical tape all the way, every day. I do this with all my cameras, as it levels the playing field for both camera fans, photographers and subjects alike. Some curious photogs will still ask, particularly as they dont see an SL everyday, especially not with a Zeiss 35 distagon 1.4 and polariser lol.

Works for me

• Like 1

I cover the logos on my Leicas, but I did it on my Fujifilm and Canon cameras before that. I just think the splash of white in a black background acts almost like a semaphore flag as it moves up to the eye.

I use an offcut of matt black vinyl used for wrapping cars. It is very thin, stretches to conform easily, and comes off cleanly. Cuts easily, and cleanly, with a scalpel. Small pieces available for a few pounds off Amazon or eBay.

Even used a piece to cover the Leica script on the top of my MP240.