Logo and red dot traveling shields for SL2?

setuporg

I use my black tape in risky areas during My street photography.

Like I did in Miami at night.

Funny thing I was stopped 4 times by people asking me about my Leica :-).

2 of them had a leica M others just like photography and knew Leica brand.

When in South Africa not using my Leica unless a couple of armed guards are with me....

Better stay safe 🙂

You guys should avoid Johannesburg then, where anything, anywhere, anytime is up for grabs

When in South Africa not using my Leica unless a couple of armed guards are with me....

I never really had an interest in going to South Africa; even less so now.  Life is too short to be subjected to crap such as this.

Edited by Herr Barnack

I'm traveling to Africa for business since 20 years.

When have time go for some street photography  I do in Kenya Tanzania etc but never in South African cities like Johannesburg, risk is simply too high and not only to lose your camera....

I could go with the right people but I don't like.

While I never cover my camera logos... hell if someone sees you have a camera and wants to rob you of it they'll do it regardless of brand... it not entirely true that people don't notice it's a Leica.  On first night, after shooting a concert while in an after hours eatery, gear in bag next to me,  a young woman commented that I was paying a lot of attention to my bag.  She then remarked, '...but I see you have a Leica'.  To which I responded, 'And a Hasselblad too.'  She smiled.

• Haha 2

Gaffer tape removes cleanly and takes a lot of abuse.  Almost four years on my Q (changed once) and applied to my SL the day I bought it.  Gaffer tape also cuts cleanly allowing precise fit/finish and nearly invisible.  I also cover all mic holes since neither camera is wet prepared.

I have a thumbs-up to another fellow carrying a Q and he gave me the weirdest look - probably thought that my Q was a Fuji...

It might not really protect anything but it does prevent subject curiosity.  And makes me more relaxed.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Relax... Only 1/ your wife, 2/ your banker and 3/ Leica know the value of your camera (in that order I suppose).

Africa is not a problem as long as you're not on your own. I'm planning to spend one day of photography in a township of Cape Town, but I've been there already with no camera, talked with the big shots in there, and when they will tell me I can go ahead with pictures, I'm sure I'll be safe. I started to work in Africa in 1980, and never stoped since then, only had one issue in Maputo in 1983 where I got my P4P stollen in my hotel room.

Anyway.. In Africa, like in Brazil, you might not want to take pictures unless you are with the proper people who really know the place you are in.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

I never really had an interest in going to South Africa; even less so now.  Life is too short to be subjected to crap such as this.

To bad, it’s a beautiful country. Been there six times the last five years. Walked with my silver M in both Johannesburg and Cape Town. Never felt threatened. Obviously not in dangerous areas.

Beautiful safaris !

I regret having not traveled there earlier. 

8 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

To bad, it’s a beautiful country. Been there six times the last five years. Walked with my silver M in both Johannesburg and Cape Town. Never felt threatened. Obviously not in dangerous areas.

Beautiful safaris !

I regret having not traveled there earlier. 

• Like 1

On 1/7/2020 at 8:26 AM, Tailwagger said:

A young woman commented that I was paying a lot of attention to my bag.  She then remarked, '...but I see you have a Leica'.  To which I responded, 'And a Hasselblad too.'  She smiled.

— Want to check out my Hasselblad?
She blushed.
— Not here!  There’s a great landscape nearby...  Is your tripod sturdy enough?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I now coverup the logo and the Red Dot on all my Leica equipment following the theft of my entire outfit in Barcelona.  It was all in a locked safe in my holiday apartment.  The thieves simply took the safe.

The Spanish police strongly advised me to avoid having the Leica logo etc. on display.  They told me that in their experience sophisticated professional thieves look out for people carrying such items and follow them back to where they are staying.  They wait until the owner goes out without the equipment and then move in.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Peter Branch said:

They wait until the owner goes out without the equipment and then move in. 

Very sorry to hear about your experience. However, at that point, the thieves have you under surveillance and a bit of tape isn't going to matter much.

I am Canadian.  I recently married a Brazilian.  We got married in Brazil - my first time there.  In the North East of Brazil - where domestic crime and violence is very intense.  (Women drive there with two purses in their car - a fake one on the seat and the real one under the seat!!).  My wife DEMANDED I NOT take my camera or lenses - she GUARANTEED me they would be stolen (and likely at gun point).  I bought a Ricoh GR II just for that trip (which I was ok with but not as enamoured as its enthusiasts are!! and which I have since sold).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Artin said:

I find it very disturbing indeed, where and how do they find the market to sell these goods , I mean every Leica product in the hands of the users is serial numbered and documented 

eventually this will show up on the market and get Identified stolen ... for instance my SL2 .. If I reported it stolen that unit will never be able to get on the Market or even on line for upgrading lenses or firmware. otherwise flags will go off 

to download firmware there is no login on the leica website.