Logo and red dot traveling shields for SL2?

setuporg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've met a wonderful local Leica enthusiast whole SL2 had a black strip covering the LEICA logo and a black square covering the red dot.  The rationale being, you don't want to advertise you're walking with black gold when traveling, especially in the tough spots.  It would be nice to have such things properly made and easily attached/detached.  Does anyone make such shields?

I just use a strip of black electrical tape, works perfectly and you can peel if off whenever you'd like, plus the edges do not "lift-up" after time.  It's almost impossible to even see the tape once it is attached -- it blends right in.

I tape over the ginormous LEICA billboard on the very front. I don't do this for "safety" reasons, but I do tape over the LEICA word to tone-down the possible conversation distraction.  Most often, when I have been taking social pictures of people in a group with the LEICA untaped, folks would ask if my camera is a Leica, and how I like it, and can they see it, et cetera -- so then while I am taking their picture, they are distracted with my camera.  With the LEICA taped over, my SL (and SL2) camera is just a camera.  I snap away, and move along.  I don't mind the red dot, and it doesn't seem to distract people.  I love talking about my camera, and Leicas, and sharing my enthusiasm for them, however when I'm taking someone's picture, I'd like to capture them more at ease.

• Like 4

Considering how few people I see carrying Leica gear ( a dozen or so in the last 10 years .... and half of those were on one workshop) and the very few that actually recognise the brand I have some doubts about common or garden street thieves in far flung destinations specifically targeting the Leica name on a camera ..... the rich looking bloke carrying it, maybe, but not the brand itself. If you look scruffy (for some of us this comes naturally ...) and generally blend in I doubt the local ruffians would pay you any more attention than if you were carrying a big Nikon or Canon. As always, be careful where and when you go, keep a low profile, preferably with company and have eyes in the back of your head. 

I suppose it might be different in Germany where Leica is better known ...... but there again they are a generally more law abiding lot than the ragamuffins elsewhere in the world.....

ps. DAG used to sell Black Dots to replace the red ones ...... and there is always painting over the white logo ..... many have done it and it is easily reversed......

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 4

The odds are that 99.999% of the people in this world have no idea what Leica is or means - nor should they. Especially in the "tough spots."

It is an infantile fantasy of the 0.001% that anyone gives a #$%^ that they carry a red-dot camera.

Of course, "a" camera that looks impressive or expensive otherwise may be a target - regardless of branding.

I happen to cover my M10 logos with black or silver tape (photo tape or duct tape) - for the totally personal reasons that 1) I like that they look more like an old unlogo-ed M2, and 2) if Leica wants me to advertise their product, they can offer to pay me a little something per month for the privilege. ;)

I see thighslapper is saying the same thing more or less, as I post. Perhaps more tactfully....

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

51 minutes ago, earleygallery said:

Leica really are missing a trick. They could sell 'Leica' brand gaffer tape for 100 (any currency) a roll and sell tons of it!!

I'm sure they happily would. But being Leica tape, it would have red dots on it...😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 12

28 minutes ago, Artin said:

It is an unrecognized brand by the vast majority and less then 1% know what it is what it’s worth or what it can do.. but the big ass lenses of the SL system now they do draw attention 

I have the battery grip mounted on my SL2 and 90-280 mounted. I carry it without any camera bag and other gear. I don’t even bother to drive sometimes. I hop on the train in city. No one gives a damn about About what I carry and certainly no second look from passerby.

• Like 1

I don't lose sleep over the red dot or the name on my camera causing me to be robbed while traveling, but then I stay out of the tough/rough/mean/criminally inclined parts of town.  I wear low profile economical clothing - no expensive shoes or costly camera bags - and I wear an economical Casio watch. 

So far, so good...

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Artin said:

Wow that is pretty unusual ,, for the few times that I pulled out my big Vario , it kind of did attract attention. Mostly the typical layman question of how far can I see with it. Most people think it can capture a picture of a man on the moon  lol

I only had rare encounters of fellow Leica enthusiasts sticking up conversation in unfamiliar grounds.

1 hour ago, sillbeers15 said:

I have the battery grip mounted on my SL2 and 90-280 mounted. I carry it without any camera bag and other gear. I don’t even bother to drive sometimes. I hop on the train in city. No one gives a damn about About what I carry and certainly no second look from passerby.

sure but in singapore you're safe anyways :)

2 hours ago, frame-it said:

sure but in singapore you're safe anyways :)

Actually I do so often when I travel overseas on family vacations. I often get more inspiration and want to shoot in less familiar environments. I

on photography subjects, such as landscape. I find Singapore pretty boring except on Architecture and birds.

Maybe it is me, I often Like to look for new subjects and application which I get to experience and learn rather than staying with familiar grounds.
That was why I venture into off camera lighting a while back on outdoor portraits. Doing so I got to learn lots on how to use light ( both ambient & fill), especially using larger flat surfaces to reflect light onto my subject.

• Like 1

ive walked in the dirty alleys of the most dodgy areas in vietnam, thailand, korea, japan & hong kong with the SL, no issues..one yakuza guy gave me a thumbs up and smiled when he saw the Leica Logo and didn't say anything when i took a few pics..even asked about my 2nd camera, which was a iiif :) i was taking a pic of their SUV's lined up on the street at night..i Did clone the numbers on the plate before posting that pic though.. here it is:

Leica iiif/50mm/Venus 800ASA

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

Gone are the days when the citizens of the rough parts knew that a Leica camera would be connected to a rich dentist’ neck strap, or when every thief in Rome understood the Red Dot and a Leica symbol meant a lavish lunch.  Now they mainly look for you to set down your iPhone, or instead for the clicks heard next to a Canon or Nikon typeface.  

3 minutes ago, frame-it said:

ive walked in the dirty alleys of the most dodgy areas in vietnam, thailand, korea, japan & hong kong with the SL, no issues..one yakuza guy gave me a thumbs up and smiled when he saw the Leica Logo and didn't say anything when i took a few pics..even asked about my 2nd camera, which was a iiif :) i was taking a pic of their SUV's lined up on the street at night..i Did clone the numbers on the plate before posting that pic though.. here it is:

Leica iiif/50mm/Venus 800ASA

Post the Yakuza please! 

You guys should avoid Johannesburg then, where anything, anywhere, anytime is up for grabs 😳 

When I'm in Jo'burg I only go out with 1 camera and 1 lens attached, stuffed into a tired-looking canvas messenger bag nothing else, no watch....

• Like 1

Whilst I don't think taping up the logo's on the camera will make it (you) any less of a target to muggers, I guess if it means that you FEEL more secure/relaxed about it then that's a reason enough to do it. 

Like others, I've only had the odd (about twice) time when someone recognised 'Leica' and stopped to discuss photography in general. I was also once asked about my Leica when I was in fact using a Nikon F2! 

• Like 1