Is the M9 still worth it in 2020?

shirubadanieru

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone, can't believe it's 2020 already! Here's my first post of the year : ) 

After shooting digital with the M-D, M10 for a few years I sold all digital cameras in 2019 and shot only film for a year. 
It was a great experience, and moving forward my Leica M4 will continue to be my main camera. That being said I still felt I wanted a backup digital camera, mostly for B&W since my lab stopped developing it.

I first thought of getting the M9M, but I'm not a fan of the black chrome finish (plus all my lenses are silver); I found a great deal on the M9P black paint and decided to get it. To be honest, I love it waay, way more than the other M digital cameras that came after it. The M10 is definitely a more robust, higher quality, modern product but for some reason I never bounded with it (I owned all 3 variations, M10, M10P, and M10D)...The M9, on the other hand, makes me feel like carrying it everywhere I go. The colors are great, B&W files look good too, and ISO is similar to film, and I even like the shutter sound ahah.

Of course I still prefer the colors I get from film, but I'd say the M9 files are the next best thing. So to me, the M9 is definitely worth it in 2020 (and probably still in 2030 unless Leica makes something similar to what they achieved with this camera; I mean...who needs 41mp...just stick with the basics and work on bringing the soul of the M9 back into the new Leica lineup). I'm curious to know what you all think, what's your experience with the M9? Have you used other leicas and came back to the M9? Is it your favorite digital camera, or do you think it ran its course and is an outdated dinosaur?

Would be great to hear from you, and wish you all a great 2020! 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, shirubadanieru said:

Is it your favorite digital camera

Yes, same reasons, also after 1 year M10. I just differ from your story about the MM1, I own both. For me it goes too far to prefer an M9 for B&W work above the MM1 just because of the black chrome finish of its body, although I grant everyone a good feeling with his equipment to come to good results.

@otto.f I love the M9M (I used to own it and it's probably my favorite digital actually), but at that time my main camera was the M10 and M9M, whereas now my main camera is film and I just wanted to add one digital camera to simplify my gear. I did think a lot about getting the M9M instead, but given it was the only digital I thought that having the M9 would be a better option, that plus price difference (1500~2000usd more expensive) were the main reasons...byt then yeah I much prefer black paint / silver to black chrome...silver lenses  just don't go well with black chrome from my perspective and I only own three lenses, all silver from the 1950s. The M9M though, is such an amazing camera, I definitely agree with you!

• Like 1

M9 is definitely my favourite camera, I do shoot film with both M2 and MP though. I think the M9 files are ever so close to film results with hardly any PP and the ISO capabilities (or lack of) are more akin to shooting film.

• Like 4

Happy new year to you, too.

I have a variation of your situation. Here is my own personal take.

In cynical disbelief that the M9 corrosion fiasco would ever be solved by a redesigned sensor (I did not believe this promise), I traded my faithful grey M9 for an M240.  It was late 2014.

I had loved my M9 (my forum name is testament to that!).  The trade-in was in anger at Leica at the time.  I vowed to myself I would never buy another digital M.  The 240 replacement would be my last.  It was one of the factors that led me heavily to film use in the last five years.  I learned to develop and wet-print my own film at home - even colour prints.

Well, the redesigned M9 sensor came out and it was hat-eating time for me.  I hardly ever use my M240 - it is basically a forgotten camera.  It is infinitely more flexible and useful as a digital camera than the M9 - live view, electronic spirit level, R-lens capability, even movies.  These are nice features to have, but since I rarely use them, the camera sits unused, or rather acts as a lens-testing platform to judge things like haze and bokeh on old lenses. My film cameras have all the fun - the M240 rarely leaves the cupboard, and almost never leaves the house.

A few days ago a friend offered me his beautiful black M9P.  Like new condition, new sensor, 7k actuations, and a (not low but still reasonable) price (£2,200).

I felt an immediate bond to the M9.  It feels like a camera I *know and understand* perfectly.  And the images are stunning!  Holding it and using it was/is a deeply tempting experience.

Ultimately, however, I am declining it.  For several reasons:

1.  Shooting it side by side with the M240 the difference is visible.  The M9 makes (to my eye) undeniably more beautiful images.  M9 images look “filmic” right out of the camera.  M240 images look dead by comparison, and although I know they can be adjusted in LR, I hate using LR.  But is that difference worth buying an M9 again?

2.  On the M9 (unlike the M240) my wide angle lenses (notably the Elmarit 28 ASPH, 2011 version, but also the Summilux 21) show a green cast along the edges and corners.  The green shows up in overcast skies in landscapes, and in rooms with white walls indoors.  I don’t like it, and here prefer the M240, which just gives me neutral colours all the way across the frame.

3.  Believe it or not, I still feel sore about what happened with my M9 in 2014.  To my mind there was an element of the weasel in Leica’s behaviour with the M9, particularly when they implied that sensor corrosion was a user-fault in wet-cleaning sensors.  And when they ignored that my camera was corroded, and it went back and forth between Oxford and Solms before I had to go in person to Mayfair and got a fair solution there, it was infuriating.  I am not a forgiving person - I’m sure you are, so forget my point 3.

4.  I love film!  If the M9 produces files that look filmic, that’s not so much a reason for me to buy another one, than a reason to shoot more film!

Anyway, your thoughts may very well vary from mine.  I totally see where you are coming from on this M9 dilemma!

I look forward to reading this thread.  It might even convince me to change my mind and buy my friend’s M9P!

Edited by M9reno
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I must confess that I never considered selling my M9, on the contrary, I had it upgraded to a-la-carte and engraved with my name.
Afterwards I did buy a nice a-la-carte type M240 and liked it for its features and as the first 21st century M, even if its images required more postprocessing. When Leica revoked that thought with the M10 I was rather sore at them, bought a CL for modern use and sold the 240.

Now I am happy that it worked out that way. The CL is my daily camera, the M9 (or MM1 or M6) the one to go to when I "go colour rangefinder" The image quality is still as stunning as it was a decade ago. In fact it went to Leica for a CLA and viewfinder LED replacement a few months ago, as I plan to hold on to it until it -or I- falls to pieces.

Quite satisfied now, my M/LTM stable now only consists of "never sell" cameras - Standard, iiif, M6, M9, MM1.

So yes, to me the M9 is definitely worth it in 2020.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, M9reno said:

I look forward to reading this thread.  It might even convince me to change my mind and buy my friend’s M9P!

I think it time for you to move on, Alfonso. Buy your friends M9 and sell the M240 (I never bonded to mine). I don't recognise the colour casts - they may not be there with the new sensor but it is difficult getting the true capability  from any digital camera unless you record as RAW files and post process. Even just hitting the 'auto' button in LR will make a huge difference. Good luck with you decision making!

• Like 4

I never bonded with my M9.

I hated the inconsistent white balance and the jpgs.

I disliked the thickness of the body and the occasional electronic lock up.

I am not sorry that I sold it.

Now, if Zeiss produced a digital version of the wonderful Ikon film rangefinder camera, I would be the first in the queue.

Lots, no loads of oddity in this thread. 

First of all, who shots bw film and give it for lab? This is easiest film type to develop. 

Then, camera color. Is it all about matching your purse? If you have load of money to use film camera as main while paying for lab all the time, you simply have enough to pay for custom repainting.

And why M9 is not good in 2020? Did Leica put self detractors chips in all M9, set at 2020?

Sorry...  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, pedaes said:

I think it time for you to move on, Alfonso. Buy your friends M9 and sell the M240 (I never bonded to mine). I don't recognise the colour casts - they may not be there with the new sensor but it is difficult getting the true capability  from any digital camera unless you record as RAW files and post process. Even just hitting the 'auto' button in LR will make a huge difference. Good luck with you decision making!

Thank you, pedaes - I agree about moving on.  I'll be the first to admit I'm horribly rancorous, and I should know better, as it's been a rather problematic personal fault in my life!

As for the M9's green colour casts along the corners and far sides, this is the sort of thing I'm getting.  And you're right that hitting the auto button in LR (thank you for the tip!) improves things, but not massively.  The first image is unprocessed - the second 'auto' LR.  The lens is the Elmarit version 11606.  The cast on the Summilux is similar but less pronounced.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The problem is even worse outdoors.  Same lens.  This time, 'auto' in LR has worsened the problem!  Undoubtedly, part of the issue here is the Elmarit's normal optical vignetting (like the above shots, these are at f/2.8 or f/4) - but the green cast is nevertheless considerable and annoying.

12 minutes ago, M9reno said:

Thank you, pedaes - I agree about moving on.  I'll be the first to admit I'm horribly rancorous, and I should know better, as it's been a rather problematic personal fault in my life!

As for the M9's green colour casts along the corners and far sides, this is the sort of thing I'm getting.  And you're right that hitting the auto button in LR (thank you for the tip!) improves things, but not massively.  The first image is unprocessed - the second 'auto' LR.  The lens is the Elmarit version 11606.  The cast on the Summilux is similar but less pronounced.

I have 3 M9 and have yet to see this colour cast, maybe it's not all M9s?

• Like 2

Just a comparison of the M9 and M(240), respectively, if only just to assure everybody that walls in my house are not painted a light shade of green!

Same lens.  Both without PP except for 'auto' on LR.

Sadly, only the M(240) gives me usable results with this lens.  I'm sure I could learn to improve the M9 yield in PP, but am frankly unwilling to put in the time.  I also like the lens, so am not keen to blame it.

21 minutes ago, Ko.Fe. said:

Lots, no loads of oddity in this thread. Ce at home

First of all, who shots bw film and give it for lab? This is easiest film type to develop. 

Then, camera color. Is it all about matching your purse? If you have load of money to use film camera as main while paying for lab all the time, you simply have enough to pay for custom repainting.nt feel comfortable sending 

And why M9 is not good in 2020? Did Leica put self detractors chips in all M9, set at 2020?

Sorry...  end on a digital camera whil

Please relax we are all friends here, and not everyone can / wants to do what for you may take for granted. I live in Asia and there are a lot of labs here that offer great service for great prices; plus houses are small and the less things I have at home the better :) given I mainly shoot film, yes the least amount of money I can spend on a digital body while still enjoying the camera does matter. I wouldn’t feel comfortable spending 5000~7000usd for a camera that’s my secondary body. Others may have different thoughts around this and that’s totally fine by me. I was just asking a question to people who love / want to use / or stopped using the M9 in 2020, to have a nice and constructive conversation around a great camera like the M9 after 11 years of its release, that’s what a community is for isn’t it. If you want to argue I’d appreciate it if you go to another thread / community please. If you do want to share your thoughts and have a nice conversation amongst friends please join in though :) 

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, shirubadanieru said:

Please relax we are all friends here, and not everyone can / wants to do what for you may take for granted. I live in Asia and there are a lot of labs here that offer great service for great prices; plus houses are small and the less things I have at home the better :) given I mainly shoot film, yes the least amount of money I can spend on a digital body while still enjoying the camera does matter. I wouldn’t feel comfortable spending 5000~7000usd for a camera that’s my secondary body. Others may have different thoughts around this and that’s totally fine by me. I was just asking a question to people who love / want to use / or stopped using the M9 in 2020, to have a nice and constructive conversation around a great camera like the M9 after 11 years of its release, that’s what a community is for isn’t it. If you want to argue I’d appreciate it if you go to another thread / community please. If you do want to share your thoughts and have a nice conversation amongst friends please join in though :) 

I'm not in Asia. I'm at LUF longer than you are. If you prefer forums where people do not exchange honest opinions, ask questions, but call each other as "friends", this is not what I see at LUF.

Please, learn about this forum more. Here is m9 pictures thread which I asked for to be opened and where I contribute including bw.

Here is link in my sig. Have a look and then make the choice who is your friend.

You could always put me in ignore list if you not get used to people asking questions straight.

35 minutes ago, Ko.Fe. said:

I'm not in Asia. I'm at LUF longer than you are. If you prefer forums where people do not exchange honest opinions, ask questions, but call each other as "friends", this is not what I see at LUF.

Please, learn about this forum more. Here is m9 pictures thread which I asked for to be opened and where I contribute including bw.

Here is link in my sig. Have a look and then make the choice who is your friend.

You could always put me in ignore list if you not get used to people asking questions straight.

There is a big difference between "honest opinions" and your crass and critical comments. Cheers, jc

• Like 4