Leica Telyt-R 350mm f4.8 Experiences, images?

mdg1371

Morning!

Good lens. I use mine quite regulary. but since I do slides - and haven't got a good scanner, I can't show pics.

But here you can see some pics take wit the Tely 350:

https://www.juzaphoto.com/recensione.php?l=en&t=leica_telyt350_f4-8r

And here someone did a comparision with a 180Apo+converter:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/episa/4467251089/

Torsten

I think that this lens on SL2 would not be "good enough".

For the low price of this lens, just try it.

Precise focussing can be hard (low contrast, even with long throw focus ring).

I have this 4.8/350mm lens since some decades, ok for "fast films" (or lower Mpix sensor) , but not as nice with slow fine grain film which in this respect I use

the Telyt-R follow focus lighter 6.8/400 (if some "flat field not required" of course ).

If you can afford the best that I own Apo-Telyt-R 4/280mm (internal smooth focus to 1.7m) which when adding the Apo-Extender-R x1.4 or x2 can "do miracles".

Or another route quite correct (if a bit flimsy to use handhold) outfit of "kit" Apo-Telyt-R 3.4/180mm and x2 apo ( ...6.8/360mm) better correction/contrast wide open than the 350mm close down to f/6.8.

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 2

Some old pics from the Telyt-R 4.8/350mm

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

R6, 350mm on Kodachrome 64

• Like 2

As seen here, with more black in field same setup

• Like 2

The 350 is a very good lens for what it is - a 40-year-old non-APO lens from just before the APO revolution. It did the best possible with the technology of the time (not counting special military lenses - e.g. the 180mm APO-Telyt), and would have surpassed the pre-ED Nikkor 300-400s and Canon's non-fluorite teles.

Image below taken with one mounted on a Canon 5D DSLR. Reasonably sharp, but with lots of red/cyan color fringing in the blur areas (longitudinal chromatic aberration). Note red/blue-green blobs/edges in the fuzzy people and other background objects. (cropped image - full image shown at lower-right).

If a fast aperture is not an issue, an APO-Telyt 180 f/3.4 with a high-end teleconverter (1.4x = "252mm f/4.8"; 2x = "360mm f/6.8") will outperform the 350 - I've used the 1.4x/180 combo myself and it is gorgeous. The 280 APO-Telyt f/4 would be the ultimate, with the original (1984) f/2.8 APO-Telyt coming close behind (larger, heavier, faster - but cheaper than the f/4 version).

Nevertheless, there were no doubt many decent pictures made with the 350 over its lifetime.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, as Andy wrote, good lens when it was released some decades ago.

I was happy user, then.

Andy, one detail though not to put "unhappy" futur user of Apo-Telyt-R 3.4/180 who wants to use Leitz/Leica Apo-Extender-R x1.4 with this lens.

Rear lens element of this 3.4/180mm would not allow the mounting of the Apo-Extender-R x1.4 with protruding front element.

X2 is fine with nice outcome.

However, it's possible mounting this x1.4 at rear of the other same period Elmarit-R 2.8/180mm which I did use when I had this 180mm.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

.......However, it's possible mounting this x1.4 at rear of the other same period Elmarit-R 2.8/180mm which I did use when I had this 180mm.

.... and it's also possible to mount the 1.4X Apo Extender on the very last variant of the APO  Elmarit-R 2.8/180 type 11357 (which had a slight redesign of the rear element to allow this) though I think it's true to say that the 1.4 Apo Extender was never available in ROM form.

Just caught this  regarding the Leica Telyt-R 350mm f4.8. I like to  comment that this is one of my favorite lenses . Every year I go  to  the Planes of Fame Air show in Chino California and this is the one lens I will  use  to  get exciting shots from the tarmac .  I find its better then using one of my Nikon auto  zoom lenses.

I also  find this lens is great for shooting portraits  without being noticed😊 

Here are a few examples

Edited by Henry Taylor
add on words
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

It is a good lens, Walter Mandler design, and I like it a lot. Maybe not the lens of choice today if you're in serious wildlife shooting. I use it every so often, it performs great for my needs. Biggest weakness, CA, has already been mentioned. Focussing can be a bit demanding as well. Abusing it for "bug shooting", I like to combine it with the R Macro Adapter, results are great, at least to my eye (see Image of hatching emperor dragonfly, A. Imperator).
There is an excellent article written by Marco Cavina about this lens (in Italian though), just Google for Marcocavina and telyt 350

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

I've found that this 350mm old style that I must use more by now ( on M nowaday).

Some Kodachromes projected on wide screen had some snaps and relative flat field comparing to my other Telyts (two cemented achromats).

Here used on heavy tripod in Paris center, hieroglyphs study, Place de la Concorde.

no extender, plain 350mm

second frame, barely acceptable, but not that bad

here Kodachrome 64 + 350mm with x2 Apo-Extender-R on R6

"scan" with M240, Beoon, Focotar 50

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 3

On 1/7/2020 at 5:29 PM, Henry Taylor said:

Just caught this  regarding the Leica Telyt-R 350mm f4.8. I like to  comment that this is one of my favorite lenses . Every year I go  to  the Planes of Fame Air show in Chino California and this is the one lens I will  use  to  get exciting shots from the tarmac .  I find its better then using one of my Nikon auto  zoom lenses.

I also  find this lens is great for shooting portraits  without being noticed😊 

Here are a few examples

I like your plane fotos very much. These old lenses (250 and 350) are perfect for it.

The 250 was actually the reason my first camera as a student was a R4. Or better a phantastic picture of a mountain top with terribly dark clouds of a thunderstorm rising behind it (looking almost a bit greenish).  Only much later was I able to buy them used (after the R failure). I find their shape really wonderful, the most beautiful tele lenses. I was then later a bit disappointed when I saw tests comparing them to Apo lenses (less contrasty). But I don’t care anymore, and for some topics (like unnoticed remote portraits, or here airshows) I like them still very much.

Thanks for showing your fotos. Before, I did usually not dare to show pics shot with them (a Leica lens and not Apo)

Edited by caissa
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

@Henry Taylor quite amazing you’ve managed to capture flying planes with this lens.. they do look great and sharp.. what body did you shoot with.

@mdg1371
My response could be too late for you but I just got my copy of the 350mm f4.8 for my SL2 mirrorless body with a novoflex adapter and I have mixed feelings about it.

PROS: inexpensive, pretty sharp

CONS: heavy, manual focusing can be hard, it takes a while to nail focus because of the focal length.. But Henry’s shots of the plane gives me confidence that it can be done with some learning curve I guess.. 

Overall I think I am happy with the purchase.. might have to use it with a monopod to get the most out of it..

check out my sample shots cropped almost 50%.. very sharp!!

I am not bothered by CA or anything.. it’s not always going to be an issue and I don’t intend to use this lens heavily.. for my purpose this fits the bill perfectly..

Edited by aksclix
More details added
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nice -  glad to see you got yourself an excellent lens. Yes, its a little heavy but you get use to it . That's the lens I take to the air shows here in California and I'm 85 and it hasn't slowed me down. I found for me  using a tripod gets in the way for now, but when I reach  86 I'll probably reconsider.😎

Edited by Henry Taylor
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Oh I'm sorry I forgot to. mention  which camera I have been using with my 350mm Leica . I have an old D600 Nikon which does a great job for me . 

Edited by Henry Taylor
  • Like 4