D-Lux3 - Exposure Sensor Repair & Replace Options

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My Leica D-Lux 3 that displays (1) a purple color shift for white colors in bright light; and (2) a photos show a green or yellow tint in low light.

I have looked over the presets and defaults. I cannot find a switch that improves the display.

I believe that the exposure sensor is damaged or malfunctioning.

Otherwise, the camera is in good shape cosmetically and according to a review of the presets and default, working correctly.

A used replacement on Ebay is about $150 to $200.

My questions are:

-1- Can I send my camera to the Leica repair for a new sensor for that amount of money? I know about the submission form that requires a maximum repair cost to be stated.

-2- Is a Leica repaired camera totally checked out and then repaired so as to insure long lasting functioning?

-3- Is it better to purchase another non-leica camera for $150 to $200 with improved specifications like increased megapixels?

Thanks for reviewing my questions,

Inkbox  

PS I encountered an error when uploading files; although I deleted the upload files, I cannot upload replacements.

I have used up all of my storage space and cannot locate a delete button in My Attachments. 

In view of its age my instinct is that it is time to upgrade to a later and younger D-Lux model. They are all excellent and any one would give you increased capabilities. Furthermore, operationally, you would have no difficulties in moving on to a later model. Buying an equally old model would leave you vulnerable to similar sensor failure as components age. Another reason to upgrade.

Even if Leica were able to repair this fault on a thirteen year old camera, I am sure that they would decline on economic grounds. I would advise you to replace the camera by one of the newer D-luxes.