leica s 006/007 and battery grip problem

msadat

all batteries drain...

in fact I did a simple study with three of my M10 batteries (same maker as S batteries) and found that after 6 months of storage, EACH battery had discharged 70% of its charge. All batteries were previously functional and were about 1-2 years old. they were stored under ideal conditions in a climate controlled cabinet..

Result: always check your batteries before you use the camera.

Albert

20 hours ago, msadat said:

i have noticed this couple of times on s 006 with the battery grip, if the battery in the camera dies/runs out, the camera is not usable even if the battery in the grip still has juice? has anybody noticed something like this

Did you double check that the grip was powered on?

ok, the switch on the power grip is only to turn on/off the control switches on the grip. here is another test you can do, if u have a s6/s7 with a grip, take the battery out of the camera and see if the grip can power the camera. i tested this on two s7 and a battery in the grip can not power the camera! which means when the battery in the camera dies, there is no power

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 1/6/2020 at 8:15 AM, albireo_double said:

In my experience, the batteries deplete very quickly when left in the grip, no matter if the grip is stored in the ON or OFF state. I've made it a habit to take the batteries out of the grip before storing the grip away.

the point was about a possible  problem with the grip providing power when the camera battery dies

Doesn’t the camera use both batteries simultaneously and so they will be depleted equally assuming they are equal in age/ condition? You can’t choose to use from one only can you?  I hardly use mine, just put it on my S2 backup with the older battery types to play and you are right msadat that power is available even when the grip is switched off, just the extra controls are affected.

32 minutes ago, hoppyman said:

Doesn’t the camera use both batteries simultaneously and so they will be depleted equally assuming they are equal in age/ condition? You can’t choose to use from one only can you?  I hardly use mine, just put it on my S2 backup with the older battery types to play and you are right msadat that power is available even when the grip is switched off, just the extra controls are affected.

it makes sense to use the grip first and then the camera, since the grip battery is easier to change but i don't know how leica has implemented it.

I think if you really wanted to know you could start with two fully charged original brand batteries in equal condition and monitor the reported levels  until each is exhausted. That would be a lot of exposures.

Very likely we use our S cameras differently. My Typ 007 is normally on a tripod used in portrait orientation on an L Plate. That L plate only fits camera without grip anyway. Unlike with the SL I find the S camera shape quite comfortable to handle like that. I rotate my two batteries and have shot maybe 45 000 exposures over four years so far. With moderate  review ( I have off by default) I typically shoot 1000 plus exposures over four hours on the fitted battery without exhausting it,  so I am happy with battery life in camera and my two batteries that I guess are ageing but still appear to be fine.

10 hours ago, John McMaster said:

I have used the RRS grip on both S2-P with multigrip and currently S(007) with grip, obviously does not align the lens over the head the same as w/o the grip but it does work...

john

Hi John you mean the one piece L grip designed for the S Body??? You found it secure and indexed so it doesn’t twist in use?

Mine hasn’t been off my Typ 007 for some years. I might have a play then