Leica Q Viewfinder Problem

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Advice Please:

My Leica Q suddenly shows what looks like a semi transparent swipe on the left side of my viewfinder. Attached is an IPhone pic through the viewfinder to view this anomaly. 

I'm very concerned as to the cost to remove and or replace the viewfinder. If anyone knows of an independent Leica repair person, please advise. 

Thank you,

Barry 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

4 hours ago, Barry Shapiro said:

Advice Please:

My Leica Q suddenly shows what looks like a semi transparent swipe on the left side of my viewfinder. Attached is an IPhone pic through the viewfinder to view this anomaly. 

I'm very concerned as to the cost to remove and or replace the viewfinder. If anyone knows of an independent Leica repair person, please advise. 

Thank you,

Barry 

Barry,

I’m not aware of an independent Leica repair service in the US. Possibly others will tells us of someone. I can say over many years I’ve used the Leica Service Center in New Jersey. I’ve only had an excellent experience with them. Certainly you could send the camera to them and get an estimate. My experience is they are fast and fair on the cost. Good luck. 

That looks more like a motherboard/sensor problem. Does it show up on the LCD and in the images from the camera as well?  In that case it needs a sensor replacement, otherwise a new viewfinder. You need to send it to Leica.
There are no independent Leica repair persons for digital cameras worldwide.

I am afraid it requires a replacement EVF which will be done in Germany  under warranty or at cost if not covered.  Allow 3+ weeks turnaround. A search will show earlier reports.

A new waterproof version will be fitted.

Edited by wda
Added information

• 1 year later...

I seem to have acquired a similar problem in my EVF. My Q would not be in warranty. I'm wondering about my options for repair and cost.

Any for a UK resident advice would be appreciated.

Thank You   

2 hours ago, Alan Platt said:

I seem to have acquired a similar problem in my EVF. My Q would not be in warranty. I'm wondering about my options for repair and cost.

Any for a UK resident advice would be appreciated.

Thank You   

Alan, welcome.

Do search the forum. I reported on my experience in UK. It can be replaced with a new EVF. There is a cost if outside warranty period.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for the reply.

I don't know what happened, it just appeared, I've been nowhere near moisture.

I sent an email with photo to Leica customer support UK. Hopefully they will respond.

The camera seems to work ok but it's useless as faulty goods if ever I wanted to upgrade.  

Thanks again

Alan, you will receive an improved EVF plus a factory overhaul of your camera. So the repair should enhance its used value should you choose to upgrade. I had no warning and it happens randomly. At least we will have solved the problem before spares run out. I have not felt the need to upgrade my original Q.

I have the same issue. It affects the view through the viewfinder but does not affect the images at all. Mine started out slightly on the left side of the viewfinder but I'm pretty active outdoors with my camera so it progressively got worse to where I couldn't work around it anymore. To me, it looks like some kind of brush strip to possibly keep dust out of the viewfinder.

I sent my camera in about 5 weeks ago and just got a repair quote this morning: $186 USD, so for anyone considering sending their Q in, you have an idea of the repair cost.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a different experience.  I had the same issue, smudge marks on the viewfinder that did not affect picture quality.  I sent my camera to Leica in New Jersey and got a quote back for $557.50 USD with a 4-5 week turnaround time.  Hope this helps

Edited by georhey