Is £2500 to much for a mint as new M6 Classic, Black Chrome

Wow, seems absolutely crazy but I've seen a well know Leica dealer asking that kind of money for a bang average condition M7 recently so maybe I need to rethink what is the going rate for a film Leica nowadays.

That said, even allowing for inflation and the possibility that used film bodies are thin on the ground, I'd have thought £1200 might be nearer the mark.

Edited by wattsy

I paid £1000 for a M6ttl and a 50mm Summicron, and a 35mm summilux for just over £200 but it was about twenty years ago! On a serious note the prices are getting silly even a couple of years ago you could still pick up M42 and M4P for less than £500, rough M2s for less than £300 and the standard price for a good M6 was £800.

14 minutes ago, wattsy said:

Wow, seems absolutely crazy but I've seen a well know Leica dealer asking that kind of money for a bang average condition M7 recently so maybe I need to rethink what is the going rate for a film Leica nowadays.

Agree, but they are not flying off the shelves. Starts to make a new MA look good value.

• Like 1

£2500/$3281USD/€2938 for a mint as new M6 Classic, Black Chrome?!?!

Absolute robbery! 😵

Check on ebay - right now there are a couple of M6 cameras described as mint in the $2400-2500USD range.  Beware of sellers form Asia, particularly Japan.  The asking prices are so overinflated that they should be considered delusional (usually). 

Also take a look at http://www.sherrykrauter.com/store?category=M+Cameras - there a nice M6 Titanium for sale there along with multiple other M6 cameras.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Frase said:

I paid £1000 for a M6ttl and a 50mm Summicron, and a 35mm summilux for just over £200 but it was about twenty years ago! On a serious note the prices are getting silly even a couple of years ago you could still pick up M42 and M4P for less than £500, rough M2s for less than £300 and the standard price for a good M6 was £800.

20 years ago!?! That's a century in dog-years.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, activeuk said:

Is £2500 to much for a mint as new M6 Classic, Black Chrome 

Well if you're prepared to buy from the other side of the Atlantic, there's a very reliable and trusted reseller called Igor Camera Exchange who shows the following listing:

Leica M6 TTL #2468692, .72x, TITANIUM  top and bottom plates, strap, cap, Ex++/Mint- $1795, which translate to £1380

5 hours ago, Pyrogallol said:

Yes

I should have said a bit more - unless there is something special about black chrome that I am not aware of, I believe around £1500 would be right price for an almost mint classic M6 ( not the electronic shutter M6TTL version).

I had a black classic M6, boxed with papers, for six years and sold it last year for twice what I had paid for it. The profit paid for my black M4P, so I can count that as having cost me nothing.

Edited by Pyrogallol

but if you have a look at prices every were ebay or just a google search etc  they are like £1800 up this one is from leica its self and mint can not tel its been used

please if they are going for £1500 or less were are they

Edited by activeuk