New M10-P Mysterious Stains

Fallancer

2 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

This is weird - as jaapv said, I have never seen anything like it either. 

My guess is either your sensor needs a wet cleaning, or your sensor is defective.  If you clean your sensor and these marks/stains persist, try a second cleaning.  If they are still present after that, return the camera to your Leica dealer and ask for a replacement. 

Since the camera is less than 30 days old since you purchased it, I would think your dealer could give you a replacement and send this one in to Leica Wetzlar to have it made right.

Sensor cleaning is not brain surgery - there's no need to pay a camera store $50 or more to do it.  See post #8 in this thread: 

Best of luck - let us know how things turn out.

I have a M10P since august and when I did a long exposure picture I noticed some specs like the OP. Not so many, but anyway. It does not bother me, but I tried to blow the sensor with my rocket blower but I think it didn't had any progress. I had this with my M240 as well when it was new. I think it's some kind of oil.

Advising a photog to clean the sensor of a new camera at the risk of voiding its warranty is something this lawyer would never do. The OP's camera has as defect. It is up to the seller to fix it, not to the OP unless he agrees to do it at his own risk obviously. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, jdlaing said:

Since when does cleaning a sensor void the warranty?

Using too much fluid for cleaning can damage the sensor by example and i broke a sensor cover glass with a LensPen kit recently so those things don't happen only to newbies.

Not much new to add - I'm as mystified as anyone - but the thing which I found most odd was, if I have understood the issue correctly, is that the dots appear most prominently when the lens is wide-open; normally the ubiquitous dust spots are at their PITA best when the aperture is set to 'Wee'.

If it were me I'd try out some more tests with the white A4 paper at various apertures and different ISOs to see just how regularly the phenomenon occurs.

Absolutely bizarre.

Philip.

P.S. Not that it will be any help to the OP but it was curious to see that the group lowest-right were trying to replicate the 'Big Dipper'...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, lct said:

Using too much fluid for cleaning can damage the sensor by example and i broke a sensor cover glass with a LensPen kit recently so those things don't happen only to newbies.

You broke the cover glass on a Leica camera cleaning the sensor?

11 minutes ago, jdlaing said:

You broke the cover glass on a Leica camera cleaning the sensor?

It was an ultra thin Kolari Vision cover glass but the rationale is the same: do nothing to void your warranty or do it at your own risk. 

18 minutes ago, lct said:

It was an ultra thin Kolari Vision cover glass but the rationale is the same: do nothing to void your warranty or do it at your own risk. 

Well...... the fact that it was a third party mod the warranty was void anyway. 

Best not to panic about doing a simple task like cleaning a sensor. If you can’t handle it pay a pro.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jdlaing said:

Best not to panic about doing a simple task like cleaning a sensor. If you can’t handle it pay a pro.

My advice was for free but i'll have to charge you if you ask me more :D. More seriously, I wouldn't touch it with tongs myself. Straight to the dealer.

Thanks all and I have sent the camera in.

Those stains are invisible if lights are good despite of low ISO or high ISO, nor big aperture or small. It only exists (I my tests) in low near dark environment and fast shutter speed (don’t give the sensor enough time to capture the lights).

2 hours ago, Fallancer said:

Thanks all and I have sent the camera in.

Those stains are invisible if lights are good despite of low ISO or high ISO, nor big aperture or small. It only exists (I my tests) in low near dark environment and fast shutter speed (don’t give the sensor enough time to capture the lights).

If you pull up shadows too far you’ll get things like that. 

• Like 2

I bet you are seeing a sort of digital artifact (capture or processing) and not physical stains; the latter ones would show up under many other conditions/pics

pushing hard high ISO shadows exposes all kind of strange things that can go in in digital capture (as jdlaing, post above) said

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nitnaros said:

I bet you are seeing a sort of digital artifact (capture or processing) and not physical stains; the latter ones would show up under many other conditions/pics

pushing hard high ISO shadows exposes all kind of strange things that can go in in digital capture (as jdlaing, post above) said

I used D750 50m with the same manual setting in the same environment, LR to increase the contrast and exposure. I don't see it is there.

In case of pushing high ISO shadows exposes I would expect to see just noises, my thoughts.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I have the same problem as you described. my body is m10p, and I try m35/1.4a,m21/3.4a and m50/1.4a,the black spots are in the same position. so, it can be sure the black spots are on the cmos.

the circumstances were: I shot on iso 1600 ,iso 3200 and iso 6400, F1.4, under exposure,when I import the pictures to Lightroom, I found these black spots on the darkness area when I increase the exposure. I found different lens also have the same black spots on the same position. it looks like oil or some liquid on cmos. but I am quite sure the surface of cmos is very clean. I think it is a widespread problem on M10P. What can I do? mail the m10p to Leica and fix? please help. many thanks.

Sry for being that late to the party. My camera Leica M10 had the same issue. I figured it out after some time, as it was only visible with higher iso values (IIRC 6400+) and only in some cases (highly over exposing in post processing). Nonetheless I sent my camera in, they said it is a sensor fault which can occur in very rare cases. I got my camera replaced as they wanted my camera for further investigations.

But it took quite some time to convince the Leica Customer Care that this is not some cleaning issue :) But I highly believe as of now they should be informed about such an issue. Hopefully this helps.

TL;DR: This is a sensor issue, I believe it is linked to some hardware calibration. Cleaning does not help. And in my case, it was only linked to dark areas, shot with high iso and heavy lifting the exposure in post-processing. Not related to lens or aperture.

Edited by BJohn
  • Like 1

If these spots don't magnify in size/sharpness when closing down the aperture;
if these spots don't manifest when shooting during daylight at low ISOs;
if these spots don't show up in the internal cleanup routine;
if these spots don't vanish or change places after a wet clean,

it must be a hardware fault. Perhaps Leica replaces the unit; perhaps they'll send you a firmware that fixes it.

• Like 1