Laptop verses Desktop

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The question of the right hardware often starts a religious war... 😉
I can only tell what mine hardware config is and that i am very satisfied with it.
I have a 2019 2018 Macmini (3,2 GHz Intel Core i7)  with 64GB ram and an external eGPU(Radeon RX Vega 56 8 GB).
Main Monitor is a 27" Eizo CG and a secound 24" Monitor from BenQ for pallettes etc…
I have a very fast external SSD as scratch disk too.
I use it mainly for Photoshop CC and CaptureOne. It outperformes the trashcan macpros very well.

I do not like editing on travel. I enjoy shooting and hiking etc.
But i do not want to sit in a hotelroom whilst vacation and edit pictures on a tiny laptop screen.
Because of that i have no laptop…

The new MacPro is way too expensive when configurating it as a Photographic workstation.
And the iMac Pro would be a too expensive second display for me.
I will not pay 10000€ for it. Would need wealthier clients then…

Edited by verwackelt

5 minutes ago, verwackelt said:

I have a 2019 Macmini (3,2 GHz Intel Core i7)  with 64GB ram and an external eGPU(Radeon RX Vega 56 8 GB).
Main Monitor is a 27" Eizo CG

We have nearly identical configurations. But I think you mean a 2018 MacMini that was purchased in 2019.  I don't recall an update to the MacMini since Oct 2018.  I would be great if I were wrong.

• 2 months later...

If it was me then I would definitely go for laptop as I have to move a lot and also do my work. If you work at home and do not have to visit your office and take your work with you then desktop is the right answer for you. Working in a desktop has some advantages like more powerful gpu and everything is replaceable. With laptop once your gpu is dead you cannot replace them as they have to be compatible your your device.

Did the thread opener ran away after all these high cost recommendations?

I have a Mirosoft Surface Book (Version 1) with 8GB ram and 128GB SSD. External monitor and an external raid-system to store the images are both connected with the Surface dock. I use Capture One and 8GB is ok for that, 16GB would be a bit better, no need for 32 or even 64 (unless you count waiting time in milliseconds). No image is stored on the SSD everything is on the external drive. As I use the Capture One catalog system, I have all the image previews on the SSD and Capture One lets me work on the image previews even when the external drive with the originals is not connected.  I like that feature.

I would not want to have a destop solution anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a MacBook Air from 2013 and my wife has a 21" iMac that is even older. I'm now retired bu my wife still does work that requires her to use Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop. I also have a Lightroom v 5.5 on that machine also. The iMac is painfully slow even with 16MB RAM and can no longer run current OS or any of the current programs from Adobe to MS. I'm tired of the old version of LR as it's missing a number of useful features and I want to do more work in LR. Current camera is a CL btw.

The question is: 

1) Do I temporarily hang on to the MacBook Air and use a thunderbolt docking station and add a monitor and ditch the iMac?

2) Replace the iMac with a new 27" iMac and keep the Air until it can no longer run current software?

3) Let both machines go and replace with either a MacBook Pro or MacBook Air, add a monitor and thunderbolt dock?

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Go for option 2). Both your machines are old and probably slow compared to new ones. A large screen is useful for post processing and for your wife's work. Buy a new iMac 27",  with 16GB of memory, more is not necessary and a 500GB SSD plus an external SSD for additional storage.

You have to answer the question of do you want a monitor designed for graphics?  The graphics artists that I know do not do color management at their computer; they do the color management at the printing company from the printer's proofs.  But if you are going to get a printer to attach to your computer for photographs, you will need to worry about color management.  None of the options you mention say what you intend to do for the monitor.  The iMac monitor is stunningly beautiful, but causes issues when you print.  That is why I use a MacMini and an Eizo Color Guard monitor instead of an iMac.

16 hours ago, AndreasG said:

Go for option 2). Both your machines are old and probably slow compared to new ones. A large screen is useful for post processing and for your wife's work. Buy a new iMac 27",  with 16GB of memory, more is not necessary and a 500GB SSD plus an external SSD for additional storage.

And/or give your imac 21 a 2nd life by building in an ssd. That will make it up to speed for most tasks. You could do this yourself if you are a bit handy with electronics. But there must be local computerserviceshops that will offer an ssd-upgrade. 

vor 7 Minuten schrieb poli:

And/or give your imac 21 a 2nd life by building in an ssd. That will make it up to speed for most tasks. You could do this yourself if you are a bit handy with electronics. But there must be local computerserviceshops that will offer an ssd-upgrade. 

That is an excellent advice, I did some years ago with a 2007 20" iMac. Instructions you get at ifixit, but you need to buy some suction cups to remove the front glass and you need a frame for the SSD, which is smaller than the HD. Can be done within 30min.

16 hours ago, Le Chef said:

I have a MacBook Air from 2013 and my wife has a 21" iMac that is even older. I'm now retired bu my wife still does work that requires her to use Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop. I also have a Lightroom v 5.5 on that machine also. The iMac is painfully slow even with 16MB RAM and can no longer run current OS or any of the current programs from Adobe to MS. I'm tired of the old version of LR as it's missing a number of useful features and I want to do more work in LR. Current camera is a CL btw.

The question is: 

1) Do I temporarily hang on to the MacBook Air and use a thunderbolt docking station and add a monitor and ditch the iMac?

2) Replace the iMac with a new 27" iMac and keep the Air until it can no longer run current software?

3) Let both machines go and replace with either a MacBook Pro or MacBook Air, add a monitor and thunderbolt dock?

Any suggestions gratefully received!

I think you are better off by replacing the stuff by a Mac Mini, USB-C external drive to store your data (2nd one for backup and Time Machine) and a 24" or 27" NEC Spectraview screen or similar. You can save money by going for refurbs. If you want to do a bit of editing away from your main computer, get an iPad Pro. Get your calibration up to speed at the same time.

This should keep you going for quite a while.

vor 1 Stunde schrieb jaapv:

think you are better off by replacing the stuff by a Mac Mini, USB-C external drive to store your data (2nd one for backup and Time Machine) and a 24" or 27" NEC Spectraview screen or similar. You can save money by going for refurbs. If you want to do a bit of editing away from your main computer, get an iPad Pro. Get your calibration up to speed at the same time.

This should keep you going for quite a while.

Best choice. And if a little bit money left, buy an external eGPU for the 2018 mac mini (see my specs at post #41of this thread). My mac mini - 2018 eGPU combo outperforms the trashcan mac pros…

Edited by verwackelt

Turning 65 is a b*tch and just makes you more impatient and more grumpy. There’s an irony that they push you to the front of the line which you reject because it categorizes you, but if it was the VIP line somewhere you would be happy. Strange things humans!

i like the idea of a Mac Mini but heard a rumor there might be a new one along soon. We have SSD’s already for storage and backup to both a Time Capsule and TimeMachine.

I now need to have a discussion with “Management” about this...

The new 2020 MacMini was just released last week.  The only difference is a higher capacity drive in each of the two standard configurations, saving about $200 for each.   A hoped for change to the internal graphics chip set did not happen.

My 2018 MacMini with Sonnet eGPU and AMD WX8200 also outperforms the MacPro trashcan with FirePro that it replaced.

• 2 weeks later...

Look into RAIDs for redundant external storage.  I like my Drobo 5D3 - Thunderbolt 3, five 3 1/2 in HDD desktop drive slots, hot swap failed HDDs and front end 250GB SSD.  Drawbacks - expensive and still reads at HDD speeds.  The problem I have with SSDs is that they are still very expensive for the number of tb you can get on a drive.