Laptop verses Desktop

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On the 7th January I am expecting my Q2 to be delivered. Being new to this Forum I have probably missed any/all the advice made on the best computor to download the photos taken from that massive  sensor. I am in the market to replace my old laptop so it makes sense to start the year off with the right kit in support of the new camera. Any advice would be welcomed.  

If you want the best for postprocessing at home:
Mac Mini with 32 GB RAM and Eizo CG monitor, preferably 24" or larger. 2TB external drive to store your data (and best to lock in the safe when not using), use the internal drive for images you are working on.  .
On the road: iPad Pro 12.9. Lightroom CC will synchronize through the Cloud automatically.
Backup to cloud storage

Start out with high-end postprocessing software, Lightroom CC or Capture One. Work on learning  it, if  needed. And do get your filing system organized from day one...

• Like 2

I have a 3000$ Lenovo P70 Windows 10 laptop with 32GB of memory and NVIDIA Quadra4000 card.
Speed is acceptable good but i belive that a desktop with the same parameters can be considerable faster.
Good desktop motherboards and memories can have for example faster memory transfer speeds and you can overclock/tweak them ur upgrade.
Windows gaming laptops/desktops are usually fast machines for photograpers

If you are already a Apple user, well then either a Macbook or a IMac will do the trick with less tweaking but at a higher price.

Chris

Imacs are very nice as living-room computers, but one cannot get the monitor screen to taste, which is the most important part of image processing. I have Windows at my work  and wouldn't have it for my photographic use but that is just me

My filing system organization is like this:
d:/photos/year/place/yyyymmdd+Location/and here go all files (Photos and videos)
As i mostly (still) remember where i took a certain shot i am able to find it rather fast.

If you start with a new software (lightroom/Phase1/etc) then it would be good to tag and describe each photo as this will make it much faster to search for a special photo.
If you have a lot of photos from a lot of years not  cataloged then it's a hell of work to catalog all..... (thats why mine are not tagged)

Chris

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

don't buy mac mini.

The only worthy mac right now are :

• entry level MacBook Pro 13" with 2 thunderbolt (do not add any option. Otherwise buy the 16")
  • MacBook Pro 16"  (32GB RAM option if you can afford it. Photoshop and Lightroom will thank you)
  • iMac 27'' 5K with SSD option (do not buy fusion drive non sense) upgrade RAM by yourself

What to avoid at all cost :

1. Lack of proper graphic card, makes mac mini a very very bad choice. You can add an eGPU, but in this case, just buy an iMac.
  2. MacBook Air is way too expensive for what it is. Especially compare to MBP 13 with two thunderbolt.
  3. MacBook Pro 13'' with four thunderbolt are way too expensive, compare to MacBook Pro 16''.
  4. iMac 21.5" is too expensive for what is it. Buy a MacBook Pro 13" and add an external 4K screen instead.

If you can afford it and justify it with your work :

• iMac Pro
  • Mac Pro (it is actually little bit cheaper than comparable PC competition) Upgrade RAM and storage by yourself. 

To conclude, right now the best value is the 16" MacBook Pro. Almost perfect : no butterfly keyboard ! Even 4 & 8TB SSD options are cheaper than fast external thunderbolt 3 SSD equivalent. Only 32 & 64 RAM options are outrageously priced. 

By the way, I have a love/hate relationship with iPad. Latest iPadOS are making them worst, not better. New gestures are crazy

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Probably superfluous to say that I disagree completely. Except for tha MacPro. The weak point of all Macs for photo editing is their screen That rules out all MacBooks and iMacs. The only exception being a relatively affordable MacBook Air 13” with full specs for travel. Shop around I bought the 2018 one mid 2019 for 1600 Euro.  Or get an iPad Pro. 

I agree with Nicci78’s summary of the current state of Mac.  However one can not get optimal colour calibration on laptop screens for workflow from file to print.  I would recommend a properly colour-calibrated external screen (Ezio or cheaper but still excellent NEC Miltisync).

vor einer Stunde schrieb nicci78:

Mac Pro (it is actually little bit cheaper than comparable PC competition) Upgrade RAM and storage by yourself. 

I just know the Mac World from my buddy who is camera man and he swears on mac.
 A upgradable MacPro would eliminate the problem that for any smalles problem the machine need to go to Apple Service Center, and it can be upgraded with standard parts.

I have a external 4K Monitor in my main house in Italy and i like that setup, big monitor is only for editing photo and video, laptop screen is for all the rest.

Chris

Greetings,

Wont agree, Jaap! 😊

I connect the MB Pro to a Nec multi sync calibrated screen, thru a OWC Thunderbolt dock. I get advantages of both worlds, being a set you can use on the go (with no calibrated screen we agree) as well as a pretty good desktop system as soon as you plug your laptop to a single Thunderbolt cable which gives you everything you need: external power, video, storage (still got my firewire drives there!), a card reader, a fast ethernet connection - faster than wifi, etc. All with a single cable connection! Loopedeck is permanently connected, got wireless keyboard, track pad... 

The set is much cheaper than a Mac Pro, totally unjustified investment for whoever uses only Lightroom - IMHO. I'd rather buy 2 prime lenses 🙄

Have a great day !

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Yes, I have a simpler - and much smaller-  portable extension for my Macbook Pro (but it has a card reader as well) and slip that in my bag when travelling as well as using it on my desk, but my vintage Macpro, fully upgraded and with  Eizo CG screens is my editing computer. However, that seems to be a quite practical setup you have. My only gripe with the MacBook pro laptops is that they are a bit of a lump to carry about. The Air range and ciPad Pro solve that problem. About investment, my experience is that Macs last at least twice as long, making them - well, not cheap- , but reasonably priced.

19 hours ago, Viking 1 said:

On the 7th January I am expecting my Q2 to be delivered. Being new to this Forum I have probably missed any/all the advice made on the best computor to download the photos taken from that massive  sensor. I am in the market to replace my old laptop so it makes sense to start the year off with the right kit in support of the new camera. Any advice would be welcomed.  

or an HP Zbook, full loaded with dreamcolor display, dual SSD's, loads of ram and powerful video card..check which software actually uses the card, some use only the CPU's, so if its gonna be  multipurpose laptop, get a monster GPU and 8 core i9 Cpus

or just get a fully loaded Macbook pro 16"

20 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

Of course you calibrate Apple monitors (MacBook or iMac one) 

If you really want, you can add a shade around the screen. 
Or just plug the external screen of your choice. 

That does not make them more suitable for photoediting. They are laid out for good. even excellent, viewing, making them naturally contrasty and poppy, which is not the best for editing. No calibration can eliminate that bias completely. I see it immediately when I put a Macbook, calibrated Retina, next to an Eizo screen. The Eizo looks flat in comparison, much better.

They have transition to metal APIs. Way better than old Open GL. 

One more reason to have a proper graphic card that the Mac mini lack. Its CG is so lame that a small MacBook Air have a more powerful one ! 
eGPU is not ready for prime time yet. And I think that they will never be a viable solution. Thunderbolt 3 is a major bottleneck. 

So just plug an Eizo monitor as a secondary screen. 
I work with 2 then 3 screens for the last 10 years. I will never go to only one. 

I even get a fourth one with my iPad Pro 

And a fifth one with my TV. 

Never too many screen real estate. 

Edited by nicci78

Yes, of course you can plug a screen in, but that rather defeats the purpose of an iMac or laptop, let alone the ergonomics of screen-keyboard position. It will always be skewed.

BTW, I am sure that Mac Minis have Metal support, as Mojave and Catalina cannot be installed without it.

And if you need it, one can have an external graphics card through Thunderbolt3