M8 2.005

crow

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Greetings, and I wish everyone a happy new year.

I am a loyal M8 user. Sold an M8 a couple of years ago, had the money to buy a used M9,

came close two times, and chose to look for another M8 again. Got one that seemed a little bit off

rangefinder-wise, had the usual spots on the sensor surface, sent it to Leica Wetzlar, had it serviced, 

and it's fine. I enjoy the x1,3 crop factor its sensor has.

Recently I came across a feature regarding the silent shutter use, in Firmware 2.005.

Mine reads 2.024. I tried to find something on Leica's site, but have been unlucky so far.

Had I known that earlier I would have mentioned to Leica Service before sending it.

Anyone knows if there is a chance upgrading to 2.005?

Edited by crow
getting notified with every response/answer

Howdy there,

yes you are correct.

Well, when I saw this on youtube, and heard the sound of the first click,

it sounded about 70% quieter than the one delayed when shutter is continually pressed.

When I tried this on my M8, you are right, the shutter operation splits in two, the second click is delayed until released.

The first sound however is louder as the first. 

On youtube the first sound is almost silent compared to the second. 

I was wrong about the firmware. You are right about 2.024 >2.005. 

I had not read what's new on 2.024(which includes the shutter feature).

Why split the noise produced when the first click is louder than the second? Why get rid off the second sound if it does not make shooting more discreet?

I am sure there must be a reason it's done.

Edited by crow

At that stage, when M8 was newly released, the shutter in M8 choice was ahead of Leica M family with it's 1/8000/ "X" to 1/250, first on M camera.

The shutter was (is) louder (and more vibrations in my use), that ennoyed many people, so Leica Camera did two things :

- new firmware for M8 to "delayed shutter cocking" action but as the shutter is the same, the "first shutter" sound is always there

- later on with M8-2 ...the fastest shutter only limited to 1/4000/ "X" to 1/180 to be quieter and less vibrations

(until now the most recent M10-P which is the "quietest" shutter)

The shutter itself is not too loud - especially on the M8-2. The rewind of the shutter (the second sound) is more obtrusive. The idea is to take the shot using only the first click and then cover the camera with your coat (or move to a discreet spot) to cover up the second sound.

BTW, never use discreet shutter and continuous together. It doesn't make sense and you will have trouble with the camera freezing.

The shutter itself is not too loud - especially on the M8-2. The rewind of the shutter (the second sound) is more obtrusive. The idea is to take the shot using only the first click and then cover the camera with your coat (or move to a discreet spot) to cover up the second sound.

Yeap it makes sense. So, the movement of the camera only plays a significant role during the opening and closing of the shutter, since the second click represents moving readyfor the next shot, kind of like advancing the film on a film camera. Thanks jaapv.
Edited by crow

4 hours ago, crow said:

So, the movement of the camera only plays a significant role during the opening and closing of the shutter, since the second click represents moving readyfor the next shot

Not necessarily the movement. You can cough for instance to mask the noise made by the motor recocking the shutter (serious).

4 hours ago, crow said:

the M8 is quieter than D.S.L.R.  including mirror-less( I can only speak of up to 24mpx which I own)

Due to that same motor, my M8.2 is noisier than any of my mirrorless cameras i must say. Aside from its digital noise, it is my only gripe about this otherwise great camera which remains the sharper or at least one of the very sharper due to its thin sensor stack. 

Edited by lct

Honestly, the M8.2 shutter has never been an issue for me. In fact, I enjoy the confirmed "feedback" from the motor as confirmation of the shot....I also use a Leica soft shutter release button on my M8.2 because I want to be half-depressed at all times ready to shoot. We all have our preferences as we are all unique in how we approach photography. The m*.2 is so much fun and in so many ways, fast modern and beautiful in its renderings that it is one of my favorite Leica bodies (I own 4, including an M240, a recently acquired SL and Digital CL). All the cameras have different scopes of use. Clearly, the M8.2 doesn't go anywhere near inclement weather because of my affection and respect for its age and longevity at this point intake.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/1/2020 at 11:11 AM, crow said:

Recently I came across a feature regarding the silent shutter use, in Firmware 2.005

The discreet shutter is an option that must be used only when you really need it, because it drains your battery double faster than the normal shutter. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2020 at 1:43 PM, epand56 said:

The discreet shutter is an option that must be used only when you really need it, because it drains your battery double faster than the normal shutter. 

Thank you, that is really good to know. 

• Like 1