Leica T with tl 35mm 1.4 or 23mm 1.7

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had 55-135mm and just bought 11-23mm.  While they both work well for me during day light, there are lot to be desired when I try 11-23mm when the sun goes down or when I am out and about in coffee shop, etc at night times.  For those who are using the T (or had it) now, do you preferred 23mm or 35mm TL for casual evening usage.  Also do you find T acceptable, or annoying to the point you have to upgrade for CL, or TL2. 

Another though is sell them all and just get a used Q and call it done....

Edited by late9sound

28 minutes ago, late9sound said:

I had 55-135mm and just bought 11-23mm.  While they both work well for me during day light, there are lot to be desired when I try 11-23mm when the sun goes down or when I am out and about in coffee shop, etc at night times.  For those who are using the T (or had it) now, do you preferred 23mm or 35mm TL for casual evening usage.  Also do you find T acceptable, or annoying to the point you have to upgrade for CL, or TL2. 

Another though is sell them all and just get a used Q and call it done....

Just to say that when frame-it queried your original statement (at least I assume that's so) containing a misidentified lens, you apparently went back and edited your original. When you do that without indicating it, you inadvertently, I'm sure, make frame-it look kind of dumb. So, if you edit because someone's caught a mistake, it would be courteous to indicate that. thanks.

As to selling them all for the Q, you'd be without any usable images beyond = 50mm. If that's okay, the Q is a terrific camera. 

3 minutes ago, bags27 said:

Just to say that when frame-it queried your original statement (at least I assume that's so) containing a misidentified lens, you apparently went back and edited your original. When you do that without indicating it, you inadvertently, I'm sure, make frame-it look kind of dumb. So, if you edit because someone's caught a mistake, it would be courteous to indicate that. thanks.

As to selling them all for the Q, you'd be without any usable images beyond = 50mm. If that's okay, the Q is a terrific camera. 

😋

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, frame-it said:

i used the original T with the 23mm a lot at night on the street..finally i switched to the summilux M at f1.4..a difference between horrible ISO 1600+ [23/f2] and fairly acceptable  ISO 800 [50/1.4], but i guess the 24MP TL2 might be better?

Are you saying that the 50 is the a replacement for the 23? Maybe if you switch to an M, but you have a 75mm equivalent vs a 35mm equivalent, seems to me 2 very different lenses.  ISO 1600 isn't too bad on my CL, not sure of the T. Older processor so maybe the noise is worse. Anyway a 24 Summilux would seem to be close, but hugely expensive. a 35 TL Summilux would seem to be the way to go if f2 isn't enough. The 23 is a really good lens, but if f1.4 is desired the 35 TL Summilux would seem to be the answer. But I do find my 35 preasph Summilux to be too tight when I am working and I find the 23 back on the camera.

Edited by tommonego@gmail.com

9 hours ago, digitalfx said:

you really need both :)

The Summilux is pretty special...but the 23mm is no slouch either. Both are excellent lenses with two different looks.

yes i still have the 23 T-summicron but dont use it...now i use the SL, film cameras and my GFX

The 35mm TL is better in low light on the T, because it’ll stop action with a faster shutter speed if you need, but it’s a lot to carry for casual evening photography (rather large and heavy).  The 23mm works fine- and is a good FOV for the coffee shop but needs a slower shutter speed on the T because of the f/2 and the T’s practical ISO limitations (1600). I loved my T but upgraded to the CL and never looked back.  Faster AF that actually works in low light and the ISO boost extends the usefulness of all the lenses.  With the CL it’s more a matter of selecting the lens based on your desired FOV and size to carry. I hope this is helpful. 

1600 ISO on the CL is still pretty good. Things (for me) decline after that, especially for real detail in shadow, but 1600 is still good. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by geoffreyg
  • Like 1

On 1/2/2020 at 1:53 PM, DGP said:

The 35mm TL is better in low light on the T, because it’ll stop action with a faster shutter speed if you need, but it’s a lot to carry for casual evening photography (rather large and heavy).  The 23mm works fine- and is a good FOV for the coffee shop but needs a slower shutter speed on the T because of the f/2 and the T’s practical ISO limitations (1600). I loved my T but upgraded to the CL and never looked back.  Faster AF that actually works in low light and the ISO boost extends the usefulness of all the lenses.  With the CL it’s more a matter of selecting the lens based on your desired FOV and size to carry. I hope this is helpful. 

You mean with the CL, you can still use 11-23mm or 18-56mm, etc... at night times?