How do I enjoy my M240 more?

petecarr

I find the FujiX100F makes a perfect companion to my MP240.  When I want to go simple and light, I leave the MP240 at home.  When I want more control or a couple different lenses, I leave the X100F at home.  Results from either system (Leica or Fuji) seem to be equally great.

3 hours ago, ktmrider2 said:

I find the FujiX100F makes a perfect companion to my MP240.  When I want to go simple and light, I leave the MP240 at home.  When I want more control or a couple different lenses, I leave the X100F at home.  Results from either system (Leica or Fuji) seem to be equally great.

I’ve been using Fuji since the first X100. It was great. It’s not for me anymore. Sold it all last year. Having another camera won’t help me enjoy my current camera. 

1 hour ago, ktmrider2 said:

petecarr:  it will if the Leica breaks.

I guess I’ll just switch to the Leica Q I often carry then.

1 hour ago, ktmrider2 said:

Want to enjoy the Leica more?  Spend money on travel or workshops, not on equipment.

I already do. Since owning it I’ve been to Edinburgh, Wales (night climb of Snowdon and horrific weather walk along the Holyhead coast), Hvar, Venice, Zadar, Amsterdam, Paris, London, Manchester, The Hague, Florence, etc. I travel. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Aging eyes - 66yrs old:

My perfect focus hit rate with the 240 had been going down causing me to shoot many iterations of the same composition and hope at least one capture was right.

Frustrated, I bought 3 negative (near sighted) diopters.  Turns out the -1.5 used without my glasses is perfect, hit rate soared to almost 100%.

PS:  I returned the other 2 diopters, were only used once each for a peek through - received a refund quickly.  In the future I may have up the strength, we'll see

My Leica M wish list includes a built-in focusable VF.

That said - a color M10 (or 11??) with a 40MP sensor can't be far off. 

Step one... make sure your eyes are corrected for good M viewing and focusing, including corrections for astigmatism and distance.  The focus patch is set at a virtual distance of 2m, with a minus .5 diopter built in.  I use glasses to correct for both astigmatism and distance, yet still require a +.5 diopter adjustment, which is common with aging eyes.  A visit to a local optician provided the opportunity to use their free trial diopters with my M (and my glasses) to determine optimal viewing.

Step two... make sure RF and lens are focusing properly.  You’ve got live view on the M240... simple to conduct tests  (on a tripod) to compare RF/LV.  Testing different lenses, at different apertures, will help determine any lens vs RF issues.

Step three... shoot a lot and, hopefully, have fun.  Some bond with the RF experience; some don’t.  

Failure to complete these steps, with step 3 last, can lead to endless frustration.  

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S