Buying Leica in Hong Kong

Landiah

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 2/26/2020 at 2:48 AM, insideline said:

I do quite a bit of business with Danny Ho at All Good Friend Camera in Hong Kong, Kowloon in the same area as these shops and he is incredibly responsive, very fast to ship and always seems to have great prices on both new and used Leica equipment. 

+1 for Danny. Great customer service.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently bought a mint copy of a 50mm Noctilux v4 for Gilbert of Fotopia. Other than requiring the funds to be wired to save on credit card charges it went smoothly. it took a few days for the funds to be wired. Shipped DHL. The lens was in perfect condition. 

Erik

Another very satisfied customer of Alex at Rangefinder.com.hk.  I got the entire TL lens line from him as well as the 28 M Summilux.  Paid via PayPal, shipped very promptly and received each lens, very well packed, from HK to California from 3 to 5 days later. 

Leica in Germany will honor the warranty. It's possible that the local Leica repair center, in whatever country you are based will not (that is not my experience in the US) but you can always send the camera/lens to Germany for repair under warranty.

Erik

Edited by egrossman

23 minutes ago, egan said:

How about warranty?

Leica in Germany will honor the warranty. It's possible that the local Leica repair center, in whatever country you are based will not (that is not my experience in the US) but you can always send the camera/lens to Germany for repair under warranty.

Erik

• 4 months later...
On 2/25/2020 at 2:48 PM, insideline said:

I do quite a bit of business with Danny Ho at All Good Friend Camera in Hong Kong, Kowloon in the same area as these shops and he is incredibly responsive, very fast to ship and always seems to have great prices on both new and used Leica equipment. 

Ever had any issues with new leicas bought from Danny? As far as warranty issue, his prices are pretty good but don’t want it to be a headache if I ever need to send it to Leica USA for warranty.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes I actually did have a small issue with a new Leica 75 1.25 Noctilux that arrived slightly front focussing but Leica USA took care of it as their stance is it is warranted from date of purchase worldwide and you receive a proper receipt plus the box has the manufacturing date on it and all are factory sealed and never opened. I have bought many lenses now from Danny and I have also sold him some of my rarer old lenses and he has been completely honest and now I bank transfer him the funds for an even better discount. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
1 hour ago, Leica Filmmatic said:

Did you have to pay an extra fee using a credit card? 

I have bought 2 m bodies and 3 lenses from Alex at rangefinder HK, all paid by credit card, never a dime more than advertised price + shipping.

of course when coming to North America there is a duties and tariff on declared value.

MKK has different price for USD and HKD if you switch them, probably to account for the currency exchange fee. If you'll be able to pay in HKD you'll be able to get some discount.

Bought a lens from them before and being charged with GST tax upon import, but it depends on your country. They'll let you declare lower value if you'll want to avoid paying too high of a tax but you'll also lose the insurance value if the package went missing.

All in all, not the best price but they cater international customer and provide smooth and prompt services and the website is very easy to navigate and place orders. Can't say the same for others.