Jump to content

Buying Leica in Hong Kong


Landiah
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi from Hong Kong.

9 Days Photo & Camera and Rangefinder.com.hk are both good and reputable. I’ve made several purchases from 9 Days in the past and have no complaints. These have websites which are kept up-to-date.

You may be lucky also if you go into an actual Leica store and flash cash or card and intimate that you’re a serious buyer and and then quote prices of items in stock at one or both of the above grey market dealers. In other words give them the impression that you’re aware of what’s what in Hong Kong. Not really about bargaining or haggling, more about showing them you know you have options.

In addition to the official Leica Stores, there’s also Tin Cheung Camera store. They can be quite open to a bit of negotiation when they’re in the mood. Could try the Hong Kong Island Branch and ask for Queena. Have bought bodies and lenses from her and was happy with results.

Lots of other options for 2nd hand lenses in Champagne Court, TST. David Chan’s store is famous.

Definitely do *not* go into any ‘camera store’ at street level in Causeway Bay or TST — these guys are scammers — nobody can afford to be honest selling cameras at street level in these insanely expensive property price locations.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, kinch123 said:

Hi from Hong Kong.

9 Days Photo & Camera and Rangefinder.com.hk are both good and reputable. I’ve made several purchases from 9 Days in the past and have no complaints. These have websites which are kept up-to-date.

You may be lucky also if you go into an actual Leica store and flash cash or card and intimate that you’re a serious buyer and and then quote prices of items in stock at one or both of the above grey market dealers. In other words give them the impression that you’re aware of what’s what in Hong Kong. Not really about bargaining or haggling, more about showing them you know you have options.

In addition to the official Leica Stores, there’s also Tin Cheung Camera store. They can be quite open to a bit of negotiation when they’re in the mood. Could try the Hong Kong Island Branch and ask for Queena. Have bought bodies and lenses from her and was happy with results.

Lots of other options for 2nd hand lenses in Champagne Court, TST. David Chan’s store is famous.

Definitely do *not* go into any ‘camera store’ at street level in Causeway Bay or TST — these guys are scammers — nobody can afford to be honest selling cameras at street level in these insanely expensive property price locations.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

This is fantastic detailed advice for our OP. Deserves to be 'Pinned' IMHO.

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ktmrider2 said:

How far is Chan's store from Hong Kong International?   Are the demonstrations making street travel difficult?  I am presently in the Philippines and thought I might skip over to Hong Kong in mid February.  Thanks

Champagne Court is at 40 Carnarvon Road, Tsimshatsui (TST). Easy to find in Google Maps. Not very far from TST MTR Exit B2. I wouldn't bother with trying to navigate there in a taxi, I'd use train and feet.

Impossible to say anything about street demonstrations on any given date in the future. I was in Champagne Court afternoon of December 24 and life was proceeding as usual. By the same evening, there were some fun and games pitting the Good Burghers of Hong Kong against Asia's No-longer Quite Finest happening all around TST and places further North in Kowloon. However there was nothing very unexpected about this: everybody knew roughly what was going to happen and approximately where and when.

As with so many things, Timing is Everything. As a general rule, Monday-Saturday daytime trading hours are OK. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I have done a lot of business with Gilbert at Fotopia and found his prices to be fair and he is honest to deal with. If you pay with a credit card he will, as most sellers do in HK, add the 3% transaction charge to the price.So it is better to pay cash if you can. I bought an M10 from him and it developed a dead pixel line after a few weeks. I sent it to New Jersey Leica with a copy of my HK receipt and it was repaired under warranty.

I may have been lucky but appreciated the support - your warranty mileage may, of course, vary. Tin Cheung is another shop where I have bought without problems. At the Leica stores - the one I have dealt with is in IFC 2 on Hong Kong Island - don't be shy about asking for a discount from the ticketed price. It may not work every time but is worth a try.

Camera shops in Champagne Court are not what they once were and David Chan's store is half the square footage it once was. I have bought from him, he is a character, but I always felt that somehow, the deal was not favourable to me. David deals mostly in used equipment and given the humidity in Hong Kong that can be a problem with mold. Returning something is also hard to do. For used equipment I would go to Gilbert at Fotopia - check his website for what is available.

Good Hunting.

Howard

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Archiver said:

+1 for Tin Cheung Camera. I've bought cameras and lenses from them (albeit about 11 years ago) and they were great. They have a good range of gear, and even had a Hermes edition in the cabinet in 2013, if that takes your fancy.

I'm definitely not the type to buy a Hermes Edition but I am the type to go for the dotless stuff. The vendor I asked about has in item I would be interested in whereas the others do not, which is why I asked about them in particular. Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 12/30/2019 at 5:56 PM, kinch123 said:

there’s also Tin Cheung Camera store. They can be quite open to a bit of negotiation when they’re in the mood. Could try the Hong Kong Island Branch 

Tin Cheung in Stanley Street had closed down last time I passed by in January. They used to sell new Leica stock at the full retail price ....or grey market if you asked. Poor trade-in prices. New gear only.

For service, competitiveness, and fair trade-in prices, Fotopia HK are exceptional. They have a great selection of early lenses too. 

M&K Kamera in Tsim Sha Tsui have a great selection of quality used lenses and film bodies at OK prices (though not cheap) but are not so competitive with trade-in prices.

Meteor HK in Causeway Bay have a good selection of used Leica gear but best to go in the evening when the owner is there if you want to haggle. They also do evening slideshows and Leica photographer presentations.

Rangefinder HK have very competitive prices for new grey market gear but don’t expect knowledgable staff unless the owner is there. They also sometimes advertise items that are not in stock so be careful if you’re ordering online. No used stock.

9Days have a great looking store and good used stock but prices are relatively high. Trade-in prices are not competitive.

There is also a newish Leica boutique and cafe in Causeway Bay. Prices are list but the espressos are great, and they have a largish exhibition space.

The Leica HK service centre is also in Causeway Bay but they can only do simple adjustments and sensor cleaning. Complex repairs are sent to Shanghai who have great staff and faster turnaround than Leica HQ my experience. My MM1 sensor replacement was turned around in 3 weeks or so and they also fitted a new shutter for free. Good with email updates too in my experience .

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Jumper said:

Tin Cheung in Stanley Street had closed down last time I passed by in January. They used to sell new Leica stock at the full retail price ....or grey market if you asked. Poor trade-in prices. New gear only.

For service, competitiveness, and fair trade-in prices, Fotopia HK are exceptional. They have a great selection of early lenses too. 

M&K Kamera in Tsim Sha Tsui have a great selection of quality used lenses and film bodies at OK prices (though not cheap) but are not so competitive with trade-in prices.

Meteor HK in Causeway Bay have a good selection of used Leica gear but best to go in the evening when the owner is there if you want to haggle. They also do evening slideshows and Leica photographer presentations.

Rangefinder HK have very competitive prices for new grey market gear but don’t expect knowledgable staff unless the owner is there. They also sometimes advertise items that are not in stock so be careful if you’re ordering online. No used stock.

9Days have a great looking store and good used stock but prices are relatively high. Trade-in prices are not competitive.

There is also a newish Leica boutique and cafe in Causeway Bay. Prices are list but the espressos are great, and they have a largish exhibition space.

The Leica HK service centre is also in Causeway Bay but they can only do simple adjustments and sensor cleaning. Complex repairs are sent to Shanghai who have great staff and faster turnaround than Leica HQ my experience. My MM1 sensor replacement was turned around in 3 weeks or so and they also fitted a new shutter for free. Good with email updates too in my experience .

 

Really good info here thanks!

Got an email from Tin Cheung a while back about the opening of the new Central branch to replace the closed one in Stanley Street -- it's now in Man Yee Building Shopping Arcade. Haven't been there to check it out yet though.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tin Cheung has three locations, in iSquare shopping mall on Nathan Road, in Man Yee Arcade in Central, and in Sim City, Shantung Street Mong Kok. They used to be in the K11 Art Mall back in 2013.

David Chan's place in Champagne Court in Tsim Sha Tsui is legendary, although I've never bought there. There are a few camera shops in there with a lot of cool gear.

Edited by Archiver
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I was going to Hong Kong to restart my visa clock from the Philippines sometime in the next two weeks and I planned on spending time camera hunting.  That is now cancelled due to the cronovirus as the Philippines is not letting non natives back into the country if they come from Hong Kong, Macau or a couple other Chinese cities.  Maybe I am not understanding but the flu has killed many more people in the same period of time as the cronovirus.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/9/2020 at 2:50 AM, ktmrider2 said:

Well, I was going to Hong Kong to restart my visa clock from the Philippines sometime in the next two weeks and I planned on spending time camera hunting.  That is now cancelled due to the cronovirus as the Philippines is not letting non natives back into the country if they come from Hong Kong, Macau or a couple other Chinese cities.  Maybe I am not understanding but the flu has killed many more people in the same period of time as the cronovirus.

I hear a lot of these shops are far down on business due to the virus so lest hope things improve for everyone for everyones health and the business and hobby of photography. 

Edited by insideline
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 2/7/2020 at 6:03 PM, Archiver said:

Tin Cheung has three locations, in iSquare shopping mall on Nathan Road, in Man Yee Arcade in Central, and in Sim City, Shantung Street Mong Kok. They used to be in the K11 Art Mall back in 2013.

David Chan's place in Champagne Court in Tsim Sha Tsui is legendary, although I've never bought there. There are a few camera shops in there with a lot of cool gear.

I do quite a bit of business with Danny Ho at All Good Friend Camera in Hong Kong, Kowloon in the same area as these shops and he is incredibly responsive, very fast to ship and always seems to have great prices on both new and used Leica equipment. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...