SL APO Summicrons stiff focus

tom0511

My Apo-Summicron-SL 90 was very stiff. It has gone back to Wetzlar for fixing, agreed to be free under guarantee.
It was first appraised by Leica in London, who agreed it was too stiff, then Wetzlar confirmed it would be a free fix once it had been received there. I didn't have to argue.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 2

I’ve had 3 50 Summicron APO SL lenses so far over the past two months and the torque required to turn the focus ring varied quite a bit throughout the 3.  

1 had too tight focus and I could not turn it without using my whole hand grip (lensrental one which only had 10 days of service on it), 1 was perfect, and the current one is pretty tight and is difficult to be turned with two fingers.  

Here’s why I ended up having 3x of them: one lens I rented from lensrentals.  one I purchased from Leica USA, but I bought it and sent it back due to a QC issue with the weather seal rubber missing a sizeable chunk (see pic below).  my current 50 APO SL came from Leica EU, but it had a noticeable imperfection on the front element.  (See pic below).  

just FYI, the QC or “fit and finish” control is seriously lacking with the SL lenses especially the 35 and 50.  

have to say that all 3 of the 50’s were pretty close to perfectly centered though.  Incredible lens tho really, just sucks these issues aren’t caught when the retail boxes are packaged and checked.  None of these issues effected picture quality though, but I had to send them back because I won’t be able to resell the lenses in the future (If I need the cash, switch systems, upgrade, etc.) at market price or as “mint” condition because of the visible defects.  unfortunate because it’s one of the nicest lenses I’ve ever used. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by NRKstudio

My 35mm is so stiff its very difficult to function in MF. It also makes an occasional squeak 

But today, I received a new 50mm SL Summicron (arrived at the dealer this week) and the focus is PERFECT!!! I wonder if they addressed the issue on new lenses? Pretty much every single SL lens I have handled in the past has an aggressively stiff MF.

I think I'll send the 35mm back to have it addressed- I wish it didn't take 4 months though.

I sus

9 hours ago, Jeff S said:

I’m waiting for the body to arrive, but just playing around with the focus ring on my SL75, I notice that it’s much stiffer than the two longer SL zooms, which focus very smoothly. Troubling.

Jeff

I wouldn't be too concerned until you try it on the SL2...I think the focus by wire system wants a stiffer focus than you would want on an analog manual focus lens.

I want to give mine some more time before I ship it in for service, Im still debating if the stiffer lens is really a problem. I tend to over focus with the SL as im used to my M lenses. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, NRKstudio said:

Does anyone know how to make the focus ring movement linear on the SL2, I read on Reid reviews it was possible but I have not yet encountered the setting to make it possible.  Thank you!  

Not available yet AFAIK, pending FW update.

Jeff

6 hours ago, digitalfx said:

I sus

I wouldn't be too concerned until you try it on the SL2...I think the focus by wire system wants a stiffer focus than you would want on an analog manual focus lens.

I want to give mine some more time before I ship it in for service, Im still debating if the stiffer lens is really a problem. I tend to over focus with the SL as im used to my M lenses. 

The manual focus on my other two SL lenses (16-35, 24-90) is unproblematic. I had it for several months, with no improvement, before returning it for fixing.

Edited by LocalHero1953

On 12/30/2019 at 11:04 AM, m9photo said:

Surprisingly $5k lenses did not even pass a good quality control from the beginning?

I’ve had a SL body with a hair in the view finder, yet it was signed off by fritz, then a SL 50 lens with a massive inclusion in one of the front elements, you could see it a mile away, and yet signed off by fritz as well, then a SL body with a dodgy sensor and supposedly fixed by “Leica customer service” ...twice ...LOL 

anyway do not trust the inspection certificate it’s total nonsense 

Edited by hillavoider

I have the SL 35, 50 and 90. All are a bit stiffer than you might expect if you have never handled an SL lens (Me). They all turn very smoothly and the fit and alignment of the focus ring within the main housing is perfect and the tiny reveal between the two never varies when turning the ring. I'm impressed! My 90 is a bit stiffer than the other two though. I don't think I will ever be able to use a Japanese autu-focus lens again and subject myself to the loose jiggle and plastic on plastic rubbing noise of most of those lenses. I also have a dozen M mount lenses. Mostly fairly new, as I sold off my older film stuff and Mandlers. Mine are all very consistent as to both the aperture and focus feel, with one exception - my 50 Summarit focus is very light. The rest are great. I must be lucky!!

I just have one, the 50mm, and it is very stiff as well. I am not often using MF, so I have not thought about it too much, but I did try to rack the focus a bunch of times to see if it would loosen. So far no. It seems strange to me as well. I think it would be more beneficial to have a looser than normal focus, especially with non-linear focusing...if you turn slowly then you get slow, but precise results. The focus on mine is so stiff that it is hard to make small adjustments. As with Tom, this has not been an issue on the S lenses at all, but I suspect that is because they are not focus by wire.