Can’t Enable Bluetooth

alywit

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been using the Fotos app, on our vacation to transfer images to my iPad. Despite it’s bugs it was working well enough. Today I went to Fotos=>Bluetooth and it will not enable, it’s Off. It isn’t active and when I click anywhere on the menu it says I should get the app for my phone which I already have and used. Even if the app software is terrible shouldn’t I still be able to activate Bluetooth on the camera? Is something wrong with my camera? 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

On the S1R, I only turn Bluetooth OFF when installing new firmware.  (Firmware won't install if the camera is subject to interrupts from outside.  This will probably apply to the SL2 eventually as well.)  On my SL2, I can turn Bluetooth OFF and ON again without problems.  This sounds like a problem   Incidentally, the error messages for Fotos must have been translated from Slovenian by Slovaks -- they are not sensible.  I couldn't attach Fotos to the SL2 today because it was already paired, and I kept following an error message that said start up pairing.  That was apparently the wrong thing to do.

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

It's so erratic I can't be bothered fiddling around.  Leica Fotos, as with a lot of technology is a case of "Plug & Pray..."

I purchased a Lighting to SD card reader for image transfer to an iPad.  It works seamlessly every time and it's fast.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by michali
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It happened to me also with Q2. Impossible to turn BT ON. 
I have to sync my Q2 with the fotos app once again : delete your camera from the App. Then add the Q2 once again. 

Fotos is a mess. Worst it is now cripple with some functionalities available only to paid customers ! 

What a shame from Leica ! Fotos does not worth 50€ p.a. It is slow as molasses. And unreliable. 
By the way after paying 2,000 to 8,000 € per camera. Fotos should be free. I think that we paid enough already. 

By the way, latest LR for iPad update, allows for direct download from Apple SD card to Lightning adapter. 
So no need to pay outrageous 50€ for LR integration. 

Edited by nicci78
  • Thanks 2

I went ahead and purchased the lightning to SD card reader in order to circumvent the use of the Fotos app altogether. Thanks for the helpful suggestion. That will make transferring images much easier when I’m not near my desktop computer. 

Separately though I still can’t turn on Bluetooth. I guess I don’t have to worry about it since it isn’t needed for updating firmware or anything else right?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, alywit said:

I went ahead and purchased the lightning to SD card reader in order to circumvent the use of the Fotos app altogether. Thanks for the helpful suggestion. That will make transferring images much easier when I’m not near my desktop computer. 

Separately though I still can’t turn on Bluetooth. I guess I don’t have to worry about it since it isn’t needed for updating firmware or anything else right?

Hopefully, Leica will update the Fotos app in the first quarter of 2020 to include GPS functionality; for that and to use the phone as a remote release, you will still need BT.
Have you connected the Fotos app with your camera successfully? Enabling BT does not help you if you have not paired your camera with the phone (using Fotos app).

BTW, I have had mixed results in using Fotos to synch the SL2 up with the current local time.  I'm not sure if worked on Android but not on iOS.  Has that worked for others?  I spend time in multiple time zones, and it is not uncommon to see pictures that seem to have been taken late at night on the wrong day...

6 hours ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

BTW, I have had mixed results in using Fotos to synch the SL2 up with the current local time.  I'm not sure if worked on Android but not on iOS.  Has that worked for others?  I spend time in multiple time zones, and it is not uncommon to see pictures that seem to have been taken late at night on the wrong day...

On Android, I noticed the time was off by an hour here in the Washington DC area - two different SL2, one from the Leica DC store and my own - and it seemed to be related to the Daylight Savings Time difference. Camera Settings -> Date & Time -> Daylight Savings Time = Off

8 hours ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

If I am correct, BT is currently used only to establish a WiFi connection 'quickly.' With WiFi connection active, the time zone and time get set correctly in my recent test.
Ideally (and hopefully soon to be implemented), once turned on, SL2 would establish a BT connection by itself, adjusting clock and sending GPS data when necessary.

The way this is done in other cameras (my experience is with Lumix Synch and the S1R), the BT link passes time and GPS information, and the WiFi doesn't even wake up until it is needed to transfer pictures of permit remote operation.  Several people have said that in the SL2 (and the Q2?) the WiFi is used to transfer even time and GPS, but I am not sure from my own observations with the SL2.

7 hours ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

The way this is done in other cameras (my experience is with Lumix Synch and the S1R), the BT link passes time and GPS information, and the WiFi doesn't even wake up until it is needed to transfer pictures of permit remote operation.  Several people have said that in the SL2 (and the Q2?) the WiFi is used to transfer even time and GPS, but I am not sure from my own observations with the SL2.

My observation is that nothing happens (time adjustment, GPS coordinates transfer) until WiFi connection is established. You can see that WiFi is still active by looking at the icon on SL2's LCD and by checking the WiFi on your phone. With BT connection as in S1R and Z 7, once you turn the camera on, the connection is established (in most cases). On SL2, I need to explicitly trigger WiFI connection from Leica Fotos app.

At the moment, it seems to require Wi-fi, which takes ages to set up, to get GPS. And even after it is set up, the GPS icon doesn’t show up for a bit. Wi-fi eats battery big time.

The current set up is not usable.  The implementation seems to be of beta quality. 

A better design and much more refined implementation are required.

(This is on iOS. I have no idea whether Android is any better.)

19 minutes ago, jrp said:

At the moment, it seems to require Wi-fi, which takes ages to set up, to get GPS. And even after it is set up, the GPS icon doesn’t show up for a bit. Wi-fi eats battery big time.

The current set up is not usable.  The implementation seems to be of beta quality. 

A better design and much more refined implementation are required.

(This is on iOS. I have no idea whether Android is any better.)

I have read on FB that Leica will fix it in a first quarter update of the app. I agree that right now it is not usable for GPS. It is OK for occasionally setting the time and time zone.

2 hours ago, Leicaiste said:

Hopefully the upgrade of the firmware will be for free. 

Now that whe have to pay for Foto 2.0, I wonder ?

It should be for free IMO.

Nobody has to pay for Leica FOTOS 2.0. Only the Leica FOTOS Pro version requires subscription. 

Are you paying for Leica FOTOS 2.0?

• 3 months later...

I am very happy with my SL2.  I have tried to get location information using Fotos many times to no avail. I can connect my iPhone and camera easily but never got location information. I hope Leica will issue a firmware upgrade and/or update Fotos to solve the problem. I can control my camera from my phone and download pictures but no GPS info.

Not yet.  This probably should have happened by now, since multiple other camera makers (esp. Panasonic S1) can do it.  It probably only requires some upgrades to Fotos, maybe also firmware, but that's not clear.  What I'd like to see is that I start Fotos with the camera initially powered on, stick the phone in a pocket and forget it, and the camera geolocates my photos. 

What can go wrong?  Well, if I get an incoming phone call, I might have to restart Fotos.  And if the camera goes into a deep sleep, with present firmware, it might not reach out to reestablish the connection on wakeup.  And there is the small matter of getting the software to work, in this case, on both camera and on phones of mulitple types.  That software is probably written by two or three different teams, currently only talking over Zoom.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick