EVF gets darker with long exposures and small apertures

Push

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I’m new to the Q2, can you help me with a quick question please?

I've noticed that the EVF gets slightly darker on longer (e.g 1/30) exposures when I half press the shutter button. The actual exposure looks more like the EVF before I half pressed the shutter.

The smaller the aperture the more noticeable it is.

Any ideas?

thank you.

On 12/26/2019 at 1:48 PM, Push said:

Hi,

I’m new to the Q2, can you help me with a quick question please?

I've noticed that the EVF gets slightly darker on longer (e.g 1/30) exposures when I half press the shutter button. The actual exposure looks more like the EVF before I half pressed the shutter.

The smaller the aperture the more noticeable it is.

Any ideas?

thank you.

I'm also new to Leica and the Q2 and wondering the same thing . . .

I have found some postings on dpreview saying that it is a deliberate feature of the Q that the EVF operates at f1.7 until the shutter is half pressed when it changes to the taking aperture.  That is a feature of several mirrorless cameras but the effect is that it  can show a considerably different displayed view when you half press  in some light levels.  My main issue is that  if you then want to apply exposure compensation (otherwise than by changing the aperture in manual exposure mode) you need to move the adjustment wheel at the same time as keeping the shutter half-pressed, which is quite tricky using fingers on the same hand and can lead to taking unwanted shots. If you lift your forefinger off the shutter, on my Q1 the display reverts to to the  f1.7 view and the exposure information vanishes, so adjusting the exposure compensation then becomes useless.  On my CL the display  resulting from half pressing  the shutter remains if you lift your finger from it, so you can then easily apply exposure compensation and see the result. That is a better implementation.  In my view the ability to pre-view the shot on virtually a WYSIWYG basis, for exposure and focus, is the main benefit of having an EVF. 

Philip

5 hours ago, Philip Freedman said:

I have found some postings on dpreview saying that it is a deliberate feature of the Q that the EVF operates at f1.7 until the shutter is half pressed when it changes to the taking aperture.  That is a feature of several mirrorless cameras but the effect is that it  can show a considerably different displayed view when you half press  in some light levels.  My main issue is that  if you then want to apply exposure compensation (otherwise than by changing the aperture in manual exposure mode) you need to move the adjustment wheel at the same time as keeping the shutter half-pressed, which is quite tricky using fingers on the same hand and can lead to taking unwanted shots. If you lift your forefinger off the shutter, on my Q1 the display reverts to to the  f1.7 view and the exposure information vanishes, so adjusting the exposure compensation then becomes useless.  On my CL the display  resulting from half pressing  the shutter remains if you lift your finger from it, so you can then easily apply exposure compensation and see the result. That is a better implementation.  In my view the ability to pre-view the shot on virtually a WYSIWYG basis, for exposure and focus, is the main benefit of having an EVF. 

Philip

You can select the function of the adjustment wheel with the FN button.  I've was having the same issue as you describe until I found that I could default the wheel to exposure compensation without having to half press the shutter. Whenever I start to turn the wheel the EC scale comes on in the display.