MP-240 Corrupted files dng & BW jpeg

levo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Never had this problem before.... shooting on an MP-240, in DNG & jpeg, with jpeg set to BW film mode. Files are corrupted on jpegs and in DNG ( see screenshots ) Weird thing is, I had already imported some of these pictures yesterday without any problem. Today when I re-import them with some newer shots, they have also become corrupted, like the newer pictures? I have tried different SD cards, different card readers, corruption is still there. However if I switch to DNG & jpeg in normal colour mode, everything is fine - no corruption.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

52 minutes ago, jaapv said:

It looks like your import procedure is corrupting the files on your card. Do you take the standard precaution of locking the card before downloading?

Hello

I shoot SD cards all the time professionally, and have never needed to lock them  ( or know anyone that does ). I shoot Sony A9's and the Leica.  I import using Photo Mechanic. This is the first time that i have ever had a corruption issue. The odd thing is that it only seems to be happening when the jpeg is set to black and white that the DNG is totally corrupted. The issue resolves itself if I leave the jpeg in colour

• Like 1

I have experienced this problem intermittently in the past with DNG files from my M-P 240 and with my Fuji X100F.  I would have approximately 8-9% of my files become corrupted during import (not all of them, though).  At first, I thought it was due to the cards I was using, Lexar 32GB Professional 633x UHS-I SDHC Memory Card

After changing to the SanDisk 64GB Extreme PRO UHS-I SDXC Memory Card the issue seemed to resolve.  For a while.  Then it returned. 

Next, I got a surge suppressor, thinking the cause might be current fluctuations during the import.  After a while, the issue reappeared. 

I then got an external card reader, which seemed to help.

I have not had this problem with my Q2 using SanDisk 64GB Extreme PRO UHS-I SDXC Memory Cards; the last couple of imports after using my M-P 240 with the SanDisk 64GB cards have not had corrupted files.

I got on Adobe's help forum to ask others if they have had corrupted files during import and what the cause was.  I got no replies so apparently levo and I are the only ones on this planet of 7.7 billion inhabitants that have had this problem.

I have asked my Lightroom guru/mentor and he has no idea what was causing this.

I have never gotten a definitive answer on this problem, but at least the corrupted files during import from my M-P 240 and SanDisk cards has gone away.  For the time being, that is.

"...Do you take the standard precaution of locking the card before downloading?"

@jaapv, I have never heard that you are supposed to lock the card before downloading; does that prevent file corruption?

Edited by Herr Barnack

Yes and the writing back of redundant hidden files. Or even problematic ones, like .DS Store which can hamper copy operations.   In theory it could even  prevent the introduction of a virus on your camera although I have never heard of that actually happening.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, jaapv said:

I forget to quite often as well Still, it is best practioce. That little slider is not there for decoration purp[oses.

Quite a pain when the slider tends to lock by itself on some cards so i would gladly do without that. YMMV.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2019 at 7:14 PM, jaapv said:

It looks like your import procedure is corrupting the files on your card. Do you take the standard precaution of locking the card before downloading?

Correct Answer!!

I have returned home now, and imported the same card to my iMac in my office.... No corruption on any of the files DNG or jpeg, all are perfect!

Now this means that the problem was on the import of the cards (via two different card readers) in to Photo Mechanic on my Macbook Pro. The MP240 is fine ( firmware 2.0.6.0), as are the two Sandisk cards that I tried (Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s 64GB and 16GB)

I have never seen this issue before, of a card being corrupted only on ingest in to a particular computer. As I said, I tried ingesting with two different card readers, and both suffered corruption?

Any ideas?

16 hours ago, dugby said:

Levo,  

1) What version of M240 firmware (latest is currently 2.0.6.0) was used to capture those image files ?

2) What is the brand, model and capacity of SD card ?

1) v2.0.6.0

2) Sandisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s, 64GB and 16GB cards

• 2 years later...

I am having this very same issue.  I am also using an MP240 (Firmware is v 2.1.0.0) with Sandisk Extreme Pro 64gb cards, importing to Photo Mechanic and then Lightroom.  Shooting RAW+JPG, the JPG's survive, while RAW files become corrupted.  Were any of you able to determine why this happens and/or how to prevent it? 

vor 1 Stunde schrieb matthoult:

I am having this very same issue.  I am also using an MP240 (Firmware is v 2.1.0.0) with Sandisk Extreme Pro 64gb cards, importing to Photo Mechanic and then Lightroom.  Shooting RAW+JPG, the JPG's survive, while RAW files become corrupted.  Were any of you able to determine why this happens and/or how to prevent it? 

I had such a problem - not very often - a while ago. It seems that it was an import problem in Capture One. Loading via the Finder (Mac) makes no problems. Sometimes the photos got corrupt after a while on the SSD/harddisk by opening too often. That was  also a problem in C1 in connection with the SSD - mostly with jpgs.

Am 27.5.2022 um 13:30 schrieb lct:

i would format your card with SD Formatter in the first place and see what happens.

What exactly is this tool supposed to do? It's better than formatting an SD card with you standard operating system tools but should be equal to formatting it in any camera. I don't know of any camera that does formatting wrong. I can format an SD card in any of my cameras (3 different brands) and can use it in any camera of the other 2 brands (respecting size limitations). Every camera adds it's own subdirectoris like 100LEICA, 101_PANA, etc, when I use a non empty card. I would go so far that with a non faulty and non falsified cards, the camera is never the problem. If the card is probably the problem, don't fix it, throw it away and get a proper card.