g2van

My CL suddenly died - what to do?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Last night I took out my CL and it wouldn't turn on. Charged all batteries, still nothing. Changed lenses, changed SD cards, nothing.

It was working fine just a few days ago and had been all this while i.e. more than 6 months. I have original Leica battery plus 2 Lumix batteries. All never gave me any trouble.

Am I missing something? Can anyone suggest some things to try before I have to send it on a long trip to Wetzlar?  This is my 2nd bad experience with the CL system - first my 11-23mm lens just stopped working (it's being repaired now) and now the body.....sigh.....

Yeah tried your suggestion - no difference. Not cold here, nice and balmy 20 degrees (celcius) no sudden drop or use in rain etc. Last used a week ago, all fine, left in cupboard after. Now- just dead. 

Sorry this has happened to you, mine has never missed a beat. My T however has the occasional tantram and I usually try a few crazy things to get it going.

One of it's favourites is when i leave it turned on and then put the battery in/out a few times pretty quickly (try not to break the catch)

Another thing I do is to leave it (without battery) wrapped in a tea towel in the freezer for an hour then try it.

BUT.... I think your best option is to send it in for repair and ask for a loaner camera until it is fixed.

t is a pity that these things happen with such expensive cameras and lenses.
Leica should maximize its quality controls.
Good luck and happy new year.

Umm... How can quality control predict future faults on a camera that leaves the factory working flawlessly?
It is very unfortunate for the owner if it happens, but sudden failure of electronic gear does happen occasionally, irrespective of price. The failed component might have cost 10 cents.  That is what guarantees are for.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 12/26/2019 at 11:11 PM, Marac said:

One of it's favourites is when i leave it turned on and then put the battery in/out a few times pretty quickly (try not to break the catch)

What on earth led you to try that to get it restarted 😳

8 hours ago, MarkP said:

What on earth led you to try that to get it restarted 😳

It worked on an old Canon 10D after my good friend suggested it.

On 12/26/2019 at 7:11 AM, Marac said:

Sorry this has happened to you, mine has never missed a beat. My T however has the occasional tantram and I usually try a few crazy things to get it going.

Another thing I do is to leave it (without battery) wrapped in a tea towel in the freezer for an hour then try it.

BUT.... I think your best option is to send it in for repair and ask for a loaner camera until it is fixed.

I have the same problem with my "T" (701).  Usually, when I remove the battery and then re-insert it, it starts working again. I even sent it once to Leica USA (New Jersey); but I still have the same problem unsolved!  Touching the wood, my CL is still working fine!

Ciao Louis! I've the same problems on the T as well as the TL2. - And with the same problem solving. (camera off - Battery out / in - camera again on - working)

I've had the issue of the menu and playback is frozen on the display screen. Only shows info in the DVF. In coldish weather. I haven't updated the FW, but I like the old app. . . 

I turn off and remove the battery and nothing. Then out of the blue it works. It has a mind of its own. It's actually concerning.

Well, I had to send it in for repairs and hope that all will be resolved without costing too much!

Still happy with the CL system, just need it to work properly again and soon :)