Cable shutter release not working

Johnclare369

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I lost my cable release which I had used on my M10 since I got the body about two years ago. So I bought a new one (A Leica one) in the Leica Store in Mayfair, London. It worked for the first day, then stopped working. It's odd because you wouldn't think anything could go wrong with something so mechanical and simple. But it has. When I press the shutter release at the end of the cable, the prong at the other end does not stick out (the action what would normally trigger the shutter). I can't see anywhere to screw it tighter etc. 

All idea welcome as I can't easily get back to the store to return it. 

13 hours ago, Johnclare369 said:

All idea welcome as I can't easily get back to the store to return it. 

As Peter says - just post it back. Plenty on e-bay, just get correct threads. Nikon ones work fine.

Edited by pedaes

Sounds like the plunger has become disconnected from the plunger somewhere inside the cable release.  I remember years ago I had a cable release that occasionally did the same thing because the screw collar that held the cable release to the outer sheathing had worked loose so the plunger just pushed the outer sheath with it and the prong didn't appear.  Half a minute's work putting things back in place and re-tightening the screw collar sorted things out so perhaps something similar has happened to yours.

Of course these days few things are made to be fixable so it might be a case of returning it to Leica Mayfair for a replacement or refund.

Pete.