Adapter questions

pridbor

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1) is there a C/Y to R adapter ?

2) 2x adapters - I understand that there are differences between the 2x and 2x apo adaptors, but is it really worth the $7-900 additional cost (eBay) ?

I took the attached image with the 180 Apo Telyt f3.4 (1500 meters to the high School with all the windows) with my regular 2x adapter and to my eyes it's not too bad.

But I tend to listen to you fellows, so please enlighten me as to how much better you think it would have been with the "apo"

Thanks

Preben

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I already accepted previous comments over many years of following things here before getting back into photography again, that the Apo is better, but $ wise ? Had it been $3-400 then I might never have given it another thought, but upwards to $1000 (ROM for my R9), that gives me pause.

I had hoped you would tell me that my image sucks and I don't take offense. And then explain to me why and where you find the flaws, as I said I think that I could live with the results. Image is of course better on my PC without conversion to jpg and reduced size etc.

Thanks

Preben

Leicaiste I did once before follow my countryman Torsten Overgaard's thread, but it was/is a bit confusing to me as there were goings back and forth on tech things which I thought he should have known being the accomplished Photographer he is. I'm not criticizing him as we have this forum to turn to when in doubt, and I certainly has benefited from that. 

That said I took his words in his early posts to mean that he couldn't tell any difference in the tests he performed. Unfortunately his links to his images leads now as then directly to Leica's website so I couldn't see the results for myself, one more reason for my post.

Preben

James, honestly none so far!  But I recently acquired an R9 didn't want to preclude getting ROM lenses in the future.

But I get your point, and might very well change my mind on that topic, those lenses are not cheap

Thanks

Preben 

Preben, if you have ROM lenses for your R9, then I really would recommend that you look around to find a good value 2x Apo ROM extender, and then dig deep into your pocket! The Apo version is recognised as being optically far superior to the original version. It's helpful that the extender's ROM chip sends "correct"  aperture information to the camera. (Maybe the non-ROM Apo does this mechanically though via the cam linkage - I don't know.) However, if your lenses are not ROM, then there is a good reason also to get a non ROM Apo extender. If you put a non ROM lens on a ROM Apo extender, then you get no viewfinder display of the aperture. Presumably the ROM extender tells the camera to expect display  information via its ROM chip, which would not be fortthcoming.

The "ROM chip" on an Apo ROM extender is actually a small microprocessor which talks to the ROM lens on one side and the camera on the other, making conversions where necessary.

• Like 1

Interesting topic. Two years ago I came across a plain-Jane 2x Extender-R in a local camera shop at a sale price of £25 and as I had some R lenses it seemed a no-brainer to buy it and see how well (or not) it worked.  For a quick assessment I paired it with my 90mm Elmarit-R and my M240 + EVF and took a stroll.  Below is an example result - in LR zoomed into 1:1 then cropped and exported.  Obviously I do not have an APO version to make comparisons but for my likely occasional use the results are not too shabby - especially for the princely sum involved. ;)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Keith (M)
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

For the original question a CX/Y to R adapter is not possible as Leica R lenses have a flange focal distance of 47mm which is greater than the 45.5mm of Contax/Yashica lenses. A Contax lens would not therefore focus to infinity on an R body. A CX/Y to M adapter is possible and I have two of them: a cheapo no-name far eastern one and a Novoflex one. Novoflex also now make a CX/Y to L adapter. 

Wilson

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

"Preben, if you have ROM lenses for your R9, then I really would recommend that you look around to find a good value 2x Apo ROM extender, and then dig deep into your pocket!"

Well John, I took your advice, digging deep into my pocket, and got a "2x Apo ROM extender", $650. Most I saw advertised were a few hundreds more so I too the plunge at this one.

I still don't have a ROM lens for my R9, but I also didn't have an "2x Apo ROM extender" before either so .... 🙂 (the extender is in the mail so I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival) 

Thanks all for your inputs!

Preben

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, pridbor said:

"Preben, if you have ROM lenses for your R9, then I really would recommend that you look around to find a good value 2x Apo ROM extender, and then dig deep into your pocket!"

Well John, I took your advice, digging deep into my pocket, and got a "2x Apo ROM extender", $650. Most I saw advertised were a few hundreds more so I too the plunge at this one.

I still don't have a ROM lens for my R9, but I also didn't have an "2x Apo ROM extender" before either so .... 🙂 (the extender is in the mail so I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival) 

Thanks all for your inputs!

Preben

Preben, enjoy - I'm sure you won't regret it!

Word of warning if you use the 2X APO extender with the R adapter L or R adapter M. You have to mount the lens on the extender before mounting it on the R adapter L or one of the cams will be in the wrong position, preventing lenses mounting on the extender. I did a post on this some time ago with some photos illustrating the issue. It is because the R adapter L and R adapter M are non-mechanical adapters with no cam linkages, whereas the Extenders are mechanically linked to the lens and to R bodies. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Thanks 1

Wilson,

Words of wisdom/experience??!! 🙂

I obviously already tried it out and did it in the wrong sequence! It was onto a Metabone adapter on my Sony a7rii so I hope that no damage done? I also assume that mounting the lens/ 2x extender on my R9 won't require any particular sequencing? although with your warning in mind I will try to apply the same sequence whenever I use the extender i.e. always the lens onto the extender before mounting the "assembly" onto a camera.

Many thanks for this warning!

Preben 

19 minutes ago, pridbor said:

Wilson,

Words of wisdom/experience??!! 🙂

I obviously already tried it out and did it in the wrong sequence! It was onto a Metabone adapter on my Sony a7rii so I hope that no damage done? I also assume that mounting the lens/ 2x extender on my R9 won't require any particular sequencing? although with your warning in mind I will try to apply the same sequence whenever I use the extender i.e. always the lens onto the extender before mounting the "assembly" onto a camera.

Many thanks for this warning!

Preben 

It is the other way round when using the extender on an R camera. You must mount the extender on the camera first to get the cams in the correct position and then mount the lens to the extender. I will do some experimenting again tomorrow. I have a feeling you may need to manually move one of the cams on the camera mount of the extender if mounting it on the lens first, as you would need to do if using R to L or R to M adapters. Obviously the cam cannot be moved if you mount the extender on the adapter first. I will check and revert. 

Wilson

PS I was correct in my recollection. If you are looking to mount a lens on the extender without the extender mounted on an R camera, then you must move the auto-aperture cam at the camera side of the extender's mount clockwise to the end of its travel. It is quite easy to do this with the tip of your finger when mounting the extender on the lens. This is only when you are using the extender with an R to L or R to M adapter, as they have no linkage to move the auto aperture cam into the position to allow the lens to mount on the extender. If you need a photo of the extender camera side mount to identify the auto aperture cam, let me know and I will post a photo tomorrow but I think if you search for threads on the APO 2X Extender-R  you will find one of my previous posts from about 10 months ago, with photos demonstrating what has to be done. W

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1