Lightroom color profiles for Leica CL. Where to get and how to install.

eev776

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After importing my photos to Lightroom what I see in a camera Embedded preview is looks fantastic to me, but when I switch to Develop DNG's my images appear very far from what it looks in Embedded preview. To solve this issue I'm trying to get a correct color profile for Leica CL.

Anybody knows how to install Leca CL color profile and where to get one for Lightroom 2019?

Thanks!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by eev776

1 hour ago, eev776 said:

After importing my photos to Lightroom what I see in a camera Embedded preview is looks fantastic to me, but when I switch to Develop DNG's my images appear very far from what it looks in Embedded preview. To solve this issue I'm trying to get a correct color profile for Leica CL.

Anybody knows how to install Leca CL color profile and where to get one for Lightroom 2019?

Thanks!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

You can make your own, easily, see Frame-it's post above, but you can also tweak the image to your liking and save that as default. As for your example - a sunset is always completely inaccurate, whatever profile you use. You may like the left-hand one, but the right-hand one is probably closer to what the camera saw. Judge colour in "normal" light.

• Like 1

That's guy's video, is way to complex, not a good answer...

He says "it's easy", so it's like I have to go and buy now that checker board for $95, and do that every time.

That is sucks, too bad Leica CL don't have it's own profile in Lightroom, very frustrating. 

Making you own profile it's whole different subject, anybody can recommend a good video about it?

8 hours ago, frame-it said:

the latest LR doesn't have a CL profile? weird..

there is a profile in capture one

you can convert it from icm to icc and place it in the correct folder...see if it helps

otherwise make your own profile :)

Where do you get icm?

How do you convert it and from icm?

Where do you you find correct folder?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

30 minutes ago, eev776 said:

He says "it's easy", so it's like I have to go and buy now that checker board for $95, and do that every time.

It’s relatively cheap IMO, and you don’t need to do this every time once you save a few profiles for typical lighting conditions.  This is much simpler to do in LR Classic than LR CC, which is what the video covers. A simple search will bring up various other tutorials on using the Passport.

Jeff

eev776, what profile are you using in Develop?  Embedded or Adobe Standard?  I don't have a CL file to see what is available in Develop/Profile/Browse/Adobe Raw or Camera Matching.  I looked for a sample CL .dng file on Leica AG's website, but I couldn't find one.

There is a post from Wilson Laidlaw (13 Dec 2017) on the Leica CL subforum that says Adobe added support for the Leica CL in ACR / Photoshop / Lightroom.  I would still be interested in knowing what profile are you selecting in the Adobe Develop module.

3 hours ago, eev776 said:

That's guy's video, is way to complex, not a good answer...

That is sucks, too bad Leica CL don't have it's own profile in Lightroom, very frustrating. 

Making you own profile it's whole different subject, anybody can recommend a good video about it?

You only have to do it once, for a few light situations and a multi-illumunant. Basically I only use either my bright-sunn or multi one.

It takes not more than five minutes - actually much less to create a profile.  Basically, take a photograph of the target, import in your computer, open the X-rite app, and drag the DNG into the window. Done.

1 hour ago, jaapv said:

You only have to do it once, for a few light situations and a multi-illumunant. Basically I only use either my bright-sunn or multi one.

It takes not more than five minutes - actually much less to create a profile.  Basically, take a photograph of the target, import in your computer, open the X-rite app, and drag the DNG into the window. Done.

Sound good, but it's no so easy! 

Especially since I don't have that color passport target, can you guys share a DNG of it one that you took before, or somebody else's link so I can upload it to my Lightroom.

X-rite app there like 14 x-rite apps on their website, which one to choose, it also probably also cost another $$$?

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, eev776 said:

Especially since I don't have that color passport target, can you guys share a DNG of it one that you took before, or somebody else's link so I can upload it to my Lightroom.

X-rite app there like 14 x-rite apps on their website, which one to choose, it also probably also cost another $$$?

Thanks!

its all in one bundle, including the software

https://www.xrite.com/categories/calibration-profiling/colorchecker-targets/colorchecker-passport-photo-2

"Custom DNG and/or ICC Camera Profiles
ColorChecker Passport Photo 2 also includes camera calibration software to create custom camera profiles based on your individual camera/lens/lighting combinations for both DNG and ICC workflows, and a Lightroom® Plug-In to create custom camera profiles directly in Adobe® Lightroom® Classic and Lightroom® Classic CC. ColorChecker Classic target is supported by third party software solutions, including Hasselblad Phocus, Black Magic DaVinci Resolve, and 3D LUT Creator. "

Edited by frame-it
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, frame-it said:

rename this to LeicaCL-Generic.icc and try importing it into lightroom

LeicaCL-Generic.icm 216.97 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks for sharing, but this is isn't working.

I download it and renamed from .icm to .icc

Placed renamed file to: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/CameraProfiles 

In Lightroom went to Profile Browser > plus sign > Import Profiles  

Not working it appears grey-shaded Lightroom can't see it?

Any other suggestions?

Just now, eev776 said:

Thanks for sharing, but this is isn't working.

I download it and renamed from .icm to .icc

Placed renamed file to: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/CameraProfiles 

In Lightroom went to Profile Browser > plus sign > Import Profiles  

Not working it appears grey-shaded Lightroom can't see it?

Any other suggestions?

here you go..the best suggestion :)

https://www.xrite.com/categories/calibration-profiling/colorchecker-targets/colorchecker-passport-photo-2

"Custom DNG and/or ICC Camera Profiles
ColorChecker Passport Photo 2 also includes camera calibration software to create custom camera profiles based on your individual camera/lens/lighting combinations for both DNG and ICC workflows, and a Lightroom® Plug-In to create custom camera profiles directly in Adobe® Lightroom® Classic and Lightroom® Classic CC. ColorChecker Classic target is supported by third party software solutions, including Hasselblad Phocus, Black Magic DaVinci Resolve, and 3D LUT Creator. "

1 hour ago, eev776 said:

Thanks!

Come on, you bought a Leica and you complain about less than 100 Euro for a colour target and grey card and white-balance card included, with free profile-making software? You can't be serious.
Besides, if you want to equalize colours between different cameras (brands) during a shoot, you need the colourchecker anyway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Come on, you bought a Leica and you complain about less than 100 Euro for a colour target and grey card and white-balance card included, with free profile-making software? You can't be serious.
Besides, if you want to equalize colours between different cameras (brands) during a shoot, you need the colourchecker anyway.

I see what you saying about spending extra $119 more bucks, after buying Leica. 

At the beginning, all answers look like it was all really easy.

Well already spending my second hour with Lightroom support, trying to figure out why camera profile does not appear in my Lightroom.

Thanks for your help!