Different exposure viewfinder vs. LV

ebow4444

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a question that is bothering me: I am a proud owner of my first Leica. It’s a M10-P with a Summacron 35mm f2.0. 
Now my „problem“: when I take the exact same picture with the exact same settings (aperture priority) with Live-View versus viewfinder, I get totally different exposures. The photo take with live-view seems to be nearly correct exposed, the one taken with the viewfinder is underexposed by 2 to 3 stops. Am I missing something? What am I doing wrong or is this „normal“? Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, jaapv said:

What is your  metering setting? If you use the EVF or Live View you can choose spot, etc. With the optical viewfinder you have only center-weighed. The metering method can make a vast difference.

You can use classic, spot or multi field metering with the optical viewfinder. You just get a monster shutter lag but it works fine. All you need to do is set it in the menu.

4 hours ago, jdlaing said:

You can use classic, spot or multi field metering with the optical viewfinder. You just get a monster shutter lag but it works fine. All you need to do is set it in the menu.

No, no, no, and an extra no! Obviously a typo, but spot and multi-field and are only available with Live View, centre weighted is available with both Live View and the optical viewfinder. Page 168 of the Manual sorts this out.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, 250swb said:

No, no, no, and an extra no! Obviously a typo, but spot and multi-field and are only available with Live View, centre weighted is available with both Live View and the optical viewfinder. Page 168 of the Manual sorts this out.

However, no one keeps you from using the optical rangefinder while live view is switched on.

5 hours ago, jdlaing said:

I think this might be the case with the M (Typ 240). Anyway, I think one of my digital M cameras was able to open the shutter, measure the light, close the shutter and then open and shut the shutter to take the picture. That might have caused your "monster shutter lag".

59 minutes ago, dau said:

However, no one keeps you from using the optical rangefinder while live view is switched on.

Yes, that is true, but somehow I doubt that the OP is doing that. The fact that he gets an exposure difference suggests that he switches the screen off and is switching between spot and center-weighed metering.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

vor 52 Minuten schrieb dau:

Metering is never done with the finder. Center weighted metering is done by measuring the light reflected by the curtain.

There is also a center weighted metering if You use LV. In this mode You don‘t need the reflection of the curtain. 

Maybe it becomes a bit confusing when different cameras come into the play that have not the same firmware.

So I would like to go back purely to the M10:

- When LV is off and we look through the Viewfinder (optical) then the light is measured on the stripes of the closed curtain. Practically this is center weighted and the result is shown in the viewfinder (arrows and the bullet in the middle).

- When using LV then the curtain evidently is open and we look through the sensor when we look at the screen. At the same time when LV is on we can as well look through the OVF of course. But while LV is "on" we see in the OVF the result of the light measurement that come from the sensor. Both indications, on the screen or in the OVF show the same. 

- In case of LV being "on" we can set the measurement method in the menu: Either Spot or Center weighted or Multi Field. And very important: While LV is "on" we see exactly the same indication in the OVF or on the screen.

Edited by M10 for me
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 250swb said:

Works fine on my M 240 P. 

1 hour ago, jdlaing said:

Works fine on my M 240 P. 

According to the M240 Manual (page 180) it works in exactly the same way as the M10, for multi field and spot metering the shutter must be open (live view), centre weighted it can be either open or closed. You saying your camera doesn't do that?

Edited by 250swb
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, 250swb said:

According to the M240 Manual (page 180) it works in exactly the same way as the M10, for multi field and spot metering the shutter must be open (live view), centre weighted it can be either open or closed. You saying your camera doesn't do that?

That’s correct. But you don’t have to push the live view button and the LCD screen stays off. You just use the OVF. Select the advanced metering in the menu and shoot to your heart's content using the viewfinder.

The issue IMHO is that Classic “centre-weighted” metering is from the shutter blades and “centre-weighted” metering in live view (regardless of whether the OVF or an EVF is in use) is from the sensor. Despite the having the same name they are not the same...

I believe they measure slightly different areas - the Live View version trying to mimic as far as possible the traditional shutter-reflected oval-ish metering area. 

I often find a difference of at least 1-stop between the two and use Live View only when I need spot or multi field metering (or the EVF)

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, ebow4444 said:

I have a question that is bothering me: I am a proud owner of my first Leica. It’s a M10-P with a Summacron 35mm f2.0. 
Now my „problem“: when I take the exact same picture with the exact same settings (aperture priority) with Live-View versus viewfinder, I get totally different exposures. The photo take with live-view seems to be nearly correct exposed, the one taken with the viewfinder is underexposed by 2 to 3 stops. Am I missing something? What am I doing wrong or is this „normal“? Thanks in advance!

Hi ebow4444,

Welcome to the forum. The short answer to your question is "yes this is normal". If you look at your exposure information (exif) data you will see that the Live-View versus viewfinder settings aren't actually  the same. Either your ISO and or shutter speed is different in your Live-View versus viewfinder shots. Other posts above have explained why that's the case.

Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, 250swb said:

According to the M240 Manual (page 180) it works in exactly the same way as the M10, for multi field and spot metering the shutter must be open (live view), centre weighted it can be either open or closed.

This happens not to be the case.

The manual for the M (Typ 240) says on page 180:

Required preliminary setting if not using live view mode
1. In the main menu (see p. 154/246) select Light Metering
Mode (page 1, CAMERA section), and
2. In the sub-menu select
– – Classic shutter metering, for the conventional metering
method described above, or
– – Advanced sensor metering if you want to be able to choose
between the three metering methods described below.

Hence, you can use the spot and multifield methods with the M even when not in live view mode, while the manual for the M10 restricts the spot and the multifield method to the live view mode.

One with Classic Metering

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!