Leica SL2, 64GB or 128GB SD UHS II Cards?

bherman01545

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just wondering what you all use for storage capacity for your SL2s? I have mostly 32GB cards that I use for my CL, but just picked up two 64GB UHS II 300MB/sec cards.

I might want to pick-up a couple more.

Should I get 64GB or 128GB? I shoot in full res DNG+JPEG and backup from one card to the next, so, storage-wise, in actuality, I'm only using one card.

Thanks, Brad

I only shoot DNG, but now I find that  I need 2x 64GB cards for a typical for me  half day of rapid series shooting in studio

that is 1000+ exposures. About 83MB a click.  Lossless compression shrinks them significantly afterwards in Lightroom for storage. Not surprisingly still about twice the file size as from the SL. I use SD1+SD2 configuration too.

I recall starting with 4MB cards when the M8 was pretty new. That’s the megapixel escalation for you

Bherman01545,  I use the a combination of 32GB and 64GB cards with the SL2, M and CF cards for the S007 for my business.  I only shoot DNG in the field and download the card every day of shooting or if I am on a remote or challenging hike, replace the card with another every day.  Sometimes, I shoot the two separate cards for the same scene.  Reason being, my business involves hiking to remote and challenging locations to create landscape photographs for my corporate and private collector clients.  The reason for either downloading or changing the card out every day or shoot two cards with the same scene is to preclude loss of the images for a variety of reasons.  In my early years, I learned a hard lesson while hiking to a remote mountain area in Alaska, only to find the cards were corrupted on return. The experience was costly.  Now, I don't shoot video and never shoot JPEG.  There are many genres of photography and almost everyone will offer their well intentioned advice, but only you will find what works best for you.   Hope this helps.  Merry Christmas!  r/ Mark

• Like 1

20 hours ago, hoppyman said:

I recall starting with 4MB cards when the M8 was pretty new. That’s the megapixel escalation for you

do you mean 4GB? a 4MB card wouldn't even hold one image :)

a 4gb would hold about 350 images on the M8...but when I look at those images now, they are so small. Considering that was nearly 15 years ago, not too bad of an escalation when you consider a typical PC had a 100gb or smaller drive.

I think I was using 8gb and 16gb cards in my M8

3 hours ago, digitalfx said:

do you mean 4GB? a 4MB card wouldn't even hold one image :)

a 4gb would hold about 350 images on the M8...but when I look at those images now, they are so small. Considering that was nearly 15 years ago, not too bad of an escalation when you consider a typical PC had a 100gb or smaller drive.

I think I was using 8gb and 16gb cards in my M8

Haah yes those pesky typos, Yes 4GB SDHC cards in my M8.

On the original question, I haven’t determined as yet whether 170 MB/s write standard is as good for the SL2 for me as the 300 MB/s ones which are more expensive of course. I tend to shoot rapid sequences. I haven’t managed to saturate the buffer in the first couple of thousand frames, while it can happen with my S. Possibly more to do with the processor and buffer sizes. Certainly was the case on my M9 and the M I recall.