bherman01545

Leica SL2, 64GB or 128GB SD UHS II Cards?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just wondering what you all use for storage capacity for your SL2s? I have mostly 32GB cards that I use for my CL, but just picked up two 64GB UHS II 300MB/sec cards.

I might want to pick-up a couple more.

Should I get 64GB or 128GB? I shoot in full res DNG+JPEG and backup from one card to the next, so, storage-wise, in actuality, I'm only using one card.

Thanks, Brad

I only shoot DNG, but now I find that  I need 2x 64GB cards for a typical for me  half day of rapid series shooting in studio

that is 1000+ exposures. About 83MB a click.  Lossless compression shrinks them significantly afterwards in Lightroom for storage. Not surprisingly still about twice the file size as from the SL. I use SD1+SD2 configuration too.

I recall starting with 4MB cards when the M8 was pretty new. That’s the megapixel escalation for you

Bherman01545,  I use the a combination of 32GB and 64GB cards with the SL2, M and CF cards for the S007 for my business.  I only shoot DNG in the field and download the card every day of shooting or if I am on a remote or challenging hike, replace the card with another every day.  Sometimes, I shoot the two separate cards for the same scene.  Reason being, my business involves hiking to remote and challenging locations to create landscape photographs for my corporate and private collector clients.  The reason for either downloading or changing the card out every day or shoot two cards with the same scene is to preclude loss of the images for a variety of reasons.  In my early years, I learned a hard lesson while hiking to a remote mountain area in Alaska, only to find the cards were corrupted on return. The experience was costly.  Now, I don't shoot video and never shoot JPEG.  There are many genres of photography and almost everyone will offer their well intentioned advice, but only you will find what works best for you.   Hope this helps.  Merry Christmas!  r/ Mark

20 hours ago, hoppyman said:

I recall starting with 4MB cards when the M8 was pretty new. That’s the megapixel escalation for you

do you mean 4GB? a 4MB card wouldn't even hold one image :)

a 4gb would hold about 350 images on the M8...but when I look at those images now, they are so small. Considering that was nearly 15 years ago, not too bad of an escalation when you consider a typical PC had a 100gb or smaller drive.

I think I was using 8gb and 16gb cards in my M8

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, digitalfx said:

do you mean 4GB? a 4MB card wouldn't even hold one image :)

a 4gb would hold about 350 images on the M8...but when I look at those images now, they are so small. Considering that was nearly 15 years ago, not too bad of an escalation when you consider a typical PC had a 100gb or smaller drive.

I think I was using 8gb and 16gb cards in my M8

Haah yes those pesky typos, Yes 4GB SDHC cards in my M8.

On the original question, I haven’t determined as yet whether 170 MB/s write standard is as good for the SL2 for me as the 300 MB/s ones which are more expensive of course. I tend to shoot rapid sequences. I haven’t managed to saturate the buffer in the first couple of thousand frames, while it can happen with my S. Possibly more to do with the processor and buffer sizes. Certainly was the case on my M9 and the M I recall.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By hoppyman
      I recently shot a project in window light 1600 ISO f/2 with the 35 Summicron. I saw a wide and unexpected variation in the DNG files shot to shot.
      I experimented with different metering options combined with different focus methods, where understandably there will be variation in results.
      However setting manual exposure (here) 1/320 f/2 with zero compensation set I saw a large difference in the results (no visible change in the available light).
      The EXIF reports the settings unchanged shot to shot but the results are hugely different. These shots 3 seconds apart.
      I hadn't seen this in a previous project with similar conditions.
      I don't think I have made some basic error but (and I am a couple of thousand frames in with the SL2 so far) but I can't account for this so suggest away. My only speculation is about which shutter mode was operating (in hybrid).

Any suggestions/comments on a possible cause would be welcome.
      No there was no solar eclipse or visible change in the light from window.

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By Big John
      Had the SL for a few years - really happy with it, great IQ. Don’t like the size and weight so tend to use it with ZEISS ZM lenses. 
      Thinking of switching to SL2..
      Attractions for me:
      1. IBIS for using M (or ZM) lenses.
      2. Improved EVF. 

3. Larger, higher res rear panel. 
      4  Quick view menu.
      5. Grip and restyling of body. 

Things putting me off - only 1:
      1. I don’t need 47mp. 

So.....thinking I could shoot at Medium resolution setting (which is 24mp) and also use TL lenses (to manage the size and weight concern) to get 20mp files.  I would use 47mp when the image demands it - so 24 as a go to size (street, family etc) and 47 for specific occasions (landscapes etc).  I know that concerns on high ISO won’t be addressed by shooting at lower res (due to  pixel density). 

Anyone else thinking like this?  Thanks. 
    • By hoppyman
      I have just seen that it is now possible to register the SL2 in the owners area of Leica's website
      When I did that I found that there are two versions of the production current, one for E, U JP, CH and one called ROW. (Rest of World???) Mine is ROW and the serial numbers are different for each version'
      I have no idea what the differences are. Possibly it may account for what seem to be some small functions differences I have read referred to in the Forum here. I don't seem to be able to select different Profiles for example, whereas I have read that others can. Or that may be be error on my part.
      My SL2 is from an authorised Australian dealer and one of the first shipment available here I think. I had thought that Australian stock came via Singapore for whatever that is worth.
      I never got the correct cable with AUS plug for the charger. It is a standard figure 8 lead though.

• By Sjz
      Hi,
      i am looking for some advice.  

I enjoy landscape / cityscape / street photography (I have a cl for street, it replaced my Fuji x-100t). I recently moved from Canon to the SL2.  Still at the foothills of the learning curve.
      I have the 24-90 on the camera most of the time.  I also have the Summicron 35 and the Sigma 14-24.  I am swallowing hard at the cost of the 90-280 especially as I have a Mark I Canon 100-400.
      Now for the questions:
      Does anyone use canon’s  Mark I 100-400 on the SL2? Are there alternatives which people could recommend which would take me up to around the 300mm maybe 400mm? Does not have to be a zoom. Sorry for the long question and thank you in advance
    • By Sjz
      Hi,
      I am in the fortunate position of travelling to South Africa (near Cape Town).  Photography is not the purpose of the trip but it would be ‘rude’ not to take a camera.
      I have a cl, which I am excited about.  It is a recent purchase with the kit 18mm lens.  It replaces my Fuji x100t which I really enjoyed but I wanted to be able to change lens’ and I preferred the cl to Fuji x-pro 3.
      i just like having a camera in my jacket pocket, hence the 18mm.  Physical, it makes the cl very similar to the X-100 series.
      Now for the questions:
      Is the 23 Summicron significantly better quality than the 18mm (I cant find the physical length lens so will pop into shop to see)? Is the APO-VARIO-ELMAR-TL 55-135MM considered to have a ‘good’ IQ? Should I be looking at other L-Mount lens?  I have a SL2 and the 35mm Summicron, the 24-90 and an underused Sigma 14-24, but I would rather travel with something more compact and in line with the cl. The photography I like is mainly landscape but of course, a bit of street and social photography too.
      Thank you for your help in advance.