SL2: Sigma MC-21 vs Novoflex Adapters for Canon EF Lenses Test

michali

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had a weird experience just now.  I had been testing image stabilization with an M lens.  Turned the camera on after this excursion into default/reset and found that the M lens was no longer recognized.  Image stabiization was greyed out.  Removed and replaced the lens and its adapters, with same result.  So I replaced lens with an SL SC lens.  Image stab came on.  Switching back to the M lens it stayed on.

44 minutes ago, Leicaiste said:

The Novoflex adapter for Canon sees the 100-400 as a 300/2,8 on the SL2. 

And doesn’t work at all with the  35/2 IS on the SL2 like it didn’t on the SL. 

I don’t think we will ever see an upgrade of the firmware of the Novoflex adapter. 

I spent 2 hours yesterday testing both adapters on the SL2. As I mentioned at the start of this thread, with the Canon 400mm f4 the MC-21 works as well if not better on the SL2 than it did on the S1R. The lens locks onto focus accurately -incl. with the 1.4x & 2x Canon TCs. It's not lightning fast, but acceptable for me. With the Novoflex the lens hunts for focus continuously, and is just about useless with the teleconverters. 

I'll do a FW update on the MC-21 tomorrow and feedback as well.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, sagarwal said:

Thanks for trying this out and reporting back. I did follow the same process as you did, but with Sigma mount equipment: MC-21 SA-L adapter and Sigma 60-600mm Sigma mount connected together first, then the combination connected to the SL2 and then the SL2 was switched on. IBIS was grayed out. Hence my emails to Sigma and Leica. I wonder if this is something specific to Sigma mount lenses, while EF-L mount connections allow IBIS to be used. In any case, I will try this again as soon as I can.

17 hours ago, Leicaiste said:

As far as I can see, on the SL2 the IS works on Canon lenses but not IBIS. 

I did the FW upgrade of the MC-21 (Canon EF-L vers.) on the SL2.  IBIS does not work, OIS on the lens does work.

Here's an image I took with the Canon 400mm f4 mounted on the SL2 via the MC-21 after the FW upgrade.

ISO50  1/25s  f4  - hand held, standing with no support, overcast day. There's no motion blur. The IS on the lens is working perfectly even without IBIS being available. 

100% crop of unprocessed image:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Full frame of above image:

Canon 400mm f4 mounted on the SL2 via the MC-21 after the FW upgrade. ISO50  1/25s  f4  - hand held, standing with no support. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 12/23/2019 at 9:01 PM, michali said:

Full frame of above image:

Canon 400mm f4 mounted on the SL2 via the MC-21 after the FW upgrade. ISO50  1/25s  f4  - hand held, standing with no support. 

Thanks for the extremely useful review.  I think your post here will definitely convince others to try out the cheaper MC21 instead of the overpriced Novoflex.  

• Like 2

Could one of you who have the MC21 please clarify if the IBIS works in video mode (on S1R and/or SL2)?

I have a MkI Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L (without IS) - I’m understanding from this thread that IBIS does not work for stills, is that correct?

Many thanks 

Edited by PCPix

Advertisement (gone after registration)

19 minutes ago, PCPix said:

Could one of you who have the MC21 please clarify if the IBIS works in video mode (on S1R and/or SL2)?

I have a MkI Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L (without IS) - I’m understanding from this thread that IBIS does not work for stills, is that correct?

Many thanks 

I think it needs to be tested with each lens.

on canon 24-70 v.2 I get in camera IS

on 24-105 v1  IS is not working

on 70-200 2.8 IS, in camera is off but on the lens seams to work

it seams that AF in video mode is not working, but it does in photo mode

I think the 24-105 is the less functional with this adapter in video an photo mode

MC-21 firmware 1.1

• Thanks 1

I received my MC-21 yesterday. I plan to use it together with my Canon EF 600/4 III and EF 70-200 II for wildlife. My main choice for these lenses is my EOS R. But I bought the MC-21 to have the choice of a backup camera as I sold my EOS 5D IV. Beside I use and love the SL2 for landscape and people.

First tests with the EF 600/4 III were disappointing. OIS is working, IBIS not (it is greyed out). But as soon as you press the shutter the viewfinder is jumping and it is hard to get any sharp pictures. Somewhere in this forum I read that OIS is working with some lenses when using the electronic shutter. So I switched on the electronic shutter and now the 600/4 III is working fine on the SL2. The AF is accurate but slow. It is not pumping as I experienced it with the Novoflex-Adapter (which I returned). OIS is working as good as with any Canon camera. You can shoot handheld with 1/60!

But I found one strange behavior: the smallest f-stop I can choose withe the SL2 and 600/4 III is 4,5 instead of 4,0. I do not know if the lense is really set to 4,5 or stays at 4,0 as the lowest possible f-stop? Does anybody know?

Tomorrow I will do some wildlife-test-shots with deers and will certainly share the results with you. I will also test the EF 70-200 II. Attached one indoor test-shot without OIS and mechanical shutter. 1/800 sec, f4,5, ISO 3200

All in all I am impressed with the results so far!

Wildlife & People Photography

www.marcoschuette.com

www.instagram.com/marco.schuette.wildlife/

Edited by mschuette
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Due to a heavy storm I din't spot any deers for three days. Today I was lucky in findig some deers and I am really happy with the results. Nicer colors, even sharper and more details then with my EOS R. I'm still struggling with the OIS. The EVF is jumping a lot while taking pictures in continuous mode. I hope to solve that problem - maybe with your help ;-)

Roe deers in Bavaria.

Leica SL2 with Canon EF 600/4 IS USM III and SIGMA MC-21.

Edited by mschuette
  • Like 6

Leica SL2 with Canon EF 600/4 IS USM III and SIGMA MC-21

Edited by mschuette
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, SonomaBear said:

Mine arrives today -- can't wait to use my Canon glass again!

I'll check firmware level upon arrival (not sure how yet...)

See https://www.sigma-global.com/en/download/lenses/firmware/mount-converter_mc21/ef-l/, and follow standard FW update procedure with MC-21 mounted on SL / SL2. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you helged.  The version on the site is named "MCLE0112.plf" and my new MC-21 was already at 1.1 - no need for me to upgrade & S1 wouldn't let me.

BTW:  I love this converter.  Painless and supports every lens I've tried. Just a bit slower focus than my departed EOS R but so what... I'm patient!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/23/2019 at 8:58 PM, michali said:

I did the FW upgrade of the MC-21 (Canon EF-L vers.) on the SL2.  IBIS does not work, OIS on the lens does work.

Here's an image I took with the Canon 400mm f4 mounted on the SL2 via the MC-21 after the FW upgrade.

ISO50  1/25s  f4  - hand held, standing with no support, overcast day. There's no motion blur. The IS on the lens is working perfectly even without IBIS being available. 

100% crop of unprocessed image:

Hi Michali

How did you manage to get your 400mm DO II OIS to work ? I have the first version of the 400mm F4 DO, but I couldn’t get the lens IS to work.  I’ve set the LENS PROFILE to the Leica R 400/F4, but when I mount the lens, the LENS PROFILE is grayed off.  

AF and aperture controls works fine on the 400 DO, but not the OIS :( 

My MC-21 is updated to the latest Firmware. 

Edited by fotonutzz

4 hours ago, fotonutzz said:

Hi Michali

How did you manage to get your 400mm DO II OIS to work ? I have the first version of the 400mm F4 DO, but I couldn’t get the lens IS to work.  I’ve set the LENS PROFILE to the Leica R 400/F4, but when I mount the lens, the LENS PROFILE is grayed off.  

AF and aperture controls works fine on the 400 DO, but not the OIS :( 

My MC-21 is updated to the latest Firmware. 

Hi fotonutzz- When you say that the lens IS doesn't work, how have you established that it's not working? 

The camera's IBIS does not work with this lens, however the lens's own internal IS takes over and works well. I can't see why that would be different for the vers. 1

With the 400mm DO II the SL2 automatically recognises the lens. This is reflected in the LENS PROFILE as: "EF400mm f4 DO ISII USM" -  this is greyed out. 

I also suggest that you remove the R Lens Profile that you've set and see if the camera then recognises the lens. 

Let me know how you get on.

Best, Mike

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2019 at 9:02 PM, Leicaiste said:

The Novoflex adapter for Canon sees the 100-400 as a 300/2,8 on the SL2. 

And doesn’t work at all with the  35/2 IS on the SL2 like it didn’t on the SL. 

I don’t think we will ever see an upgrade of the firmware of the Novoflex adapter. 

I had an e-Mail from Novoflex last year saying they no longer had support from Leica and any development of firmware for the adapter was unlikely. I think it is not even part of the catalogue any longer. This is a sad story. Many people paid a lot of money for the adapter, assuming it would work. 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I just tested the Canon 300/2.8 IS (v1) and 70-200/2.8 IS (v1) with the MC-21 v1.3 FW on the SL2-S.

Focus appears to be accurate with AF-S spot, OIS works but IBIS doesn’t. The focus speed is slow as others have mentioned. I noticed that lens EXIF data is lacking for the 300/2.8 IS. The 70-200mm does show actual focal length but not the lens model so that could be troublesome if you wanted to do lens corrections in Lightroom.

Edited by beewee

An interesting discussion. Thanks. When I switched from Canon to SL2 I thought I’d be able to hang on to longer Canon glass (L 70-200 2.8 mkII and L 200-400 f4) + 85 f1.2 mkII, and got the Sigma adapter. I’m afraid is was disappointed and felt that for the kind of documentary work I do they just didn’t handle right. I now have the 90-280 and couldn’t be happier and I’m willing to use APS-C mode if I want to frame with longer reach. I’m now using the APO 75 for portrait - and that’s a match or better than Canon 85. I thought the 85 was the best lens I’d ever owned - huge, but it drew so beautifully. However, the 75 has displaced it.  Of course, if I needed longer glass then I’d have to look at 600 and adapter as there’s no other option. However, for work that the 90-280 covers it’s really impeccable. 

Edited by chris_tribble