SL2: Sigma MC-21 vs Novoflex Adapters for Canon EF Lenses Test

michali

Advertisement (gone after registration)

One of my biggest gripes is that the Sigma MC-21 adapter for Canon EF lenses does not work at all on the SL601.

The only way to use Canon EF lenses with AF on the SL601 is via the Novoflex EF to L adapter. The Novoflex adapter functions on a scale of about 7 or 8 out of 10,  which is less than ideal. On the SL601 with my  Canon EF 400mm f/4 DO IS II USM  there's great amount of focus hunting going on, and 80% of the time you have to intervene by using the MF ring to help lock focus. Once you add Tele-converters with the Novoflex adapter the lens is just about unusable in AF.

As a comparison, on the S1R however the lens & MC-21 adapter functions on a scale of about 9 out of 10 with minimal MF intervention on the part of the user. 

I collected my SL2 yesterday, and am very pleased to report that the Sigma MC-21 adapter works really well on the SL2 😁!  In fact just as well if not better than it did on the S1R. I've tested it with the Canon 400mm and it works seamlessly. No focus hunting.

I then also tried the Novoflex EF-L adapter on the SL2 and it behaves the same way as it does on the SL601, plenty of focus hunting and  almost unusable when you add Tele-converters. 

The MC-21adapter on the SL2 also works with the Canon 1.4X & 2X Tele-converters, AF is slightly slower with the 1.4X TC, more so with the 2x TC, but still very usable, it locks on to focus with no intervention.

Personally I'm very pleased with this outcome.

Edited by michali
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I have both adapters for the use on the SL 2.  Before I have used the Novoflex on a SL 1. I use them together with the Canon Macro lenses 100 mm (non L version), the 180 mm and the MP E 65. Sometimes together with an 1, 4 extender of Kenko. In these cases the performance of the 2 adapters is nearly equal. In macro use the AF is not reliable - the MP E 65 has no AF function -  even not on Canon cameras - it is a very special lens.B oth adapters do not work at all with the CL, which is a real pity. The camera requests an update - which does not seem to exist. Leica should do something, to make the adapters - or at least on of them - working with this camera, if it is possible to manage.

1 hour ago, HeinzX said:

I have both adapters for the use on the SL 2.  Before I have used the Novoflex on a SL 1. I use them together with the Canon Macro lenses 100 mm (non L version), the 180 mm and the MP E 65. Sometimes together with an 1, 4 extender of Kenko. In these cases the performance of the 2 adapters is nearly equal. In macro use the AF is not reliable - the MP E 65 has no AF function -  even not on Canon cameras - it is a very special lens.Both adapters do not work at all with the CL, which is a real pity. The camera requests an update - which does not seem to exist. Leica should do something, to make the adapters - or at least on of them - working with this camera, if it is possible to manage.

Heinz - My experience with these adapters has been with the 400mm Canon telephoto lens. Quite possibly it's lens specific. I would think that the AF is trickier with the longer focal length, and in this case the MC-21 works really well on the SL2.

For the CL I now use the Novoflex as a dumb adapter, I placed  masking tape over the contacts and use the Canon lens in full manual mode.

I agree with you Leica should open up these adaptors for use on the CL. They did this with the Sigma MC-21 for the SL2.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by michali
  • Like 1

The only problem with Canon EF lenses mounted on the SL2 via the MC-21 is that you cannot decouple the AF from the shutter release. If you put the lens in manual mode on the lens barrel, the BBF doesn’t work. 

The AF is very precise but a bit slow. 

Edited by Leicaiste

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 hours ago, caissa said:

Are you sure about IS ?  I remember that Sigma said IS and AFc is not supported. 

Didn't realize this thread was open when I replied in another thread. Sigma responded to an email enquiry saying IS doesn't work with the MC-21 SA-L Adapter. When I tried it, the IBIS menu item was grayed out in the SL2 when the MC-21 adapter was connected with a Sigma 60-600mm lens.

I just tried again the SL 2 and both adapters -MC 21 an Novoflex with the Canon 180 mm and the Canon 100 mm Macro - non L version. Both adapters allow switch on and switch off of the stabilizer - nothing grayed out. I first connected the lenses with the adapter and then connected this combination with the SL and switched the camera on. The Novofle adapter has been bought a few years in the past together with my sold SL 1 - the Sigma one has been bought quite recently together with myy SL 2.

1 hour ago, SrMi said:

On Sigma's web site a single review (7/4/2019) for MC-21 complains that the adapter works with S1R but not with SL.

The reviewer's probably referring to the SL601. The MC-21 doesn't work on the SL601, but it does work on the SL2 & S1R.

Edited by michali

I would imagine it works on the SL2 as it does with the Lumix S1/S1R.   The MC-21 allows IS from the lens, or IBIS to be set for FL on any lens without IS.  What you cannot have is Dual IS, as is possible with the Lumix lenses or the SL Zooms.  Only imagining this to be the case from my experience with the S1/MC-21 with Canon 70-200 2.8 IS (IS works) and for 200mm prime and the old 50 1.8 IBIS available.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, caissa said:

I also have the EF 100-400. This is good news, so I will probably buy the MC-21.

Yes, there was a firmware upgrade. See here.  https://www.sigmaphoto.com/article/sigma-mount-converter-mc-21-firmware-update-11-21-2019

It is reported that version II of the 100-400 works fine, but not first version.

Sure you have all seen this but just in case it's worth a look

https://www.tttphotography.com/sigma-mc-21-ef-l-lens-adapter-compatibility/

Edited by Boojay
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Boojay said:

It is reported that version II of the 100-400 works fine, but not first version.

Sure you have all seen this but just in case it's worth a look

https://www.tttphotography.com/sigma-mc-21-ef-l-lens-adapter-compatibility/

Thanks. Would be nice if someone would set up such table for Leica SL/SL2 as well.

36 minutes ago, caissa said:

I also have the EF 100-400 v2. This is good news, so I will probably buy the MC-21.

Yes, there was a firmware upgrade. See here.  https://www.sigmaphoto.com/article/sigma-mount-converter-mc-21-firmware-update-11-21-2019

I have just installed the firmware upgrade for the MC-21 via my SL2. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HeinzX said:

I just tried again the SL 2 and both adapters -MC 21 an Novoflex with the Canon 180 mm and the Canon 100 mm Macro - non L version. Both adapters allow switch on and switch off of the stabilizer - nothing grayed out. I first connected the lenses with the adapter and then connected this combination with the SL and switched the camera on. The Novofle adapter has been bought a few years in the past together with my sold SL 1 - the Sigma one has been bought quite recently together with myy SL 2.

Thanks for trying this out and reporting back. I did follow the same process as you did, but with Sigma mount equipment: MC-21 SA-L adapter and Sigma 60-600mm Sigma mount connected together first, then the combination connected to the SL2 and then the SL2 was switched on. IBIS was grayed out. Hence my emails to Sigma and Leica. I wonder if this is something specific to Sigma mount lenses, while EF-L mount connections allow IBIS to be used. In any case, I will try this again as soon as I can.

1 minute ago, Leicaiste said:

I have just installed the firmware upgrade for the MC-21 via my SL2. 

I had upgraded the MC-21 firmware as well, through the SL2. Initially I had downloaded the firmware for the wrong adapter (EF-L instead of SA-L), and thankfully the SL2 and MC-21 didn't accept the firmware, instead of getting totally bricked. Once I had the right firmware updated, the SL2 showed the adapter firmware was 1.1

The Novoflex adapter for Canon sees the 100-400 as a 300/2,8 on the SL2. 

And doesn’t work at all with the  35/2 IS on the SL2 like it didn’t on the SL. 

I don’t think we will ever see an upgrade of the firmware of the Novoflex adapter.