SD Card

Fast is good, biggest I doubt. I use with a M10-D with less resolution compared with the Q2 SD cards of 32 and 64 GB size, which I deem sufficient for a couple of days shooting, unless you want to keep 20 years of  Christmas, Easter holidays and vacations on one SD card - too much risk to lose all eventually.

Edited by AndreasG
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, paul.bridges.3388 said:

I’m asking Santa for the Prograde 256GB UII B90 SD card (for my Q2).  Figuring that biggest & fastest is best.

Anyone see it differently?

Unless you’re shooting a lot of video and the Q2 is not a great camera for that, I would actually say it’s a negative getting such a large card. 256GB will hold well over 2000 DNG images. As others have said there’s a risk having that many images on one card. Should you lose the camera or it be stolen a large number of photos are gone. Unlikely, but should the SD card malfunction, you’ll lose photos. I’m in the camp of 32GB and or 64GB cards are the sweet spot for value and risk reduction should something unfortunate happen. I have a simple SD card holder that I keep 6 cards in. On all but very long trips that’s more than enough. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lexar 128GB Professional 2000x UHS-II SDXC U3 Memory Card with Card Reader - This is the sweat spot for me - good capacity, fast and well priced.  Fast and enough to hold a good days worth of pictures.  I was recently on Safari and shooting 1500-2000 pictures a day on 2 bodies (not the Q2) but a DSLR.  The extra space was really convenient when you don't have time to download pictures right away.  Andrew

42 minutes ago, ajmarton1 said:

Lexar 128GB Professional 2000x UHS-II SDXC U3 Memory Card with Card Reader - This is the sweat spot for me - good capacity, fast and well priced.  Fast and enough to hold a good days worth of pictures.  I was recently on Safari and shooting 1500-2000 pictures a day on 2 bodies (not the Q2) but a DSLR.  The extra space was really convenient when you don't have time to download pictures right away.  Andrew

I'm with ajmarton. Same choice for me.

I'm also with 64GB or twin 32GB as they need to be downloaded frequently avoiding to loose a lot of pix because of laziness.

128GB or 256GB would only be a option if i would be for several days/weeks totally off the grid and have no access to my laptop, ut this will not happen.
There are also devices who copy the SD-Disk inserted on their internal disk, that is a good way to backup SD Disks while off the grid

Chris

• Like 1

Yup, lots of choices.   I keep a 16 GB card in my Q.  I keep a couple of spare cards in my camera bag along with extra batteries.  I think the 16 GB card will hold about 400 Q raw images.  That's more than I ever shoot at one time.   I've yet to need one of the spare cards.  If I had a Q2 I'd probably use a 32 GB card.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a quick heads up for everyone : Manfrotto have launched a new range of "tough" SD cards just like the Sony Tough G type V90 cards. And not only are they cheaper than the Sony cards to start with, at the moment they are on special offer at 50% discount as well!

I just bought the 128GB card for £92 delivered,  That is a great price for a V90 UHS-ii card. For reference, Amazon are charging £250 for the equivalent Sony card.

https://www.manfrotto.com/uk-en/products/memory-cards/sd-cards/

Edited by Chippy_boy
  • Like 1

On 12/19/2019 at 2:19 PM, paul.bridges.3388 said:

I’m asking Santa for the Prograde 256GB UII B90 SD card (for my Q2).  Figuring that biggest & fastest is best.

Anyone see it differently?

Why such a big card?

I get by just fine with 2 x 32 GB.

9 hours ago, microview said:

What's the advantage of using the vII card? (BTW Manfrotto 64GB = £47.50.)

Do you mean UHS-ii ?  Much faster. And there's different specs of UHS-ii as well, V90 being the fastest. That means it can sustain a writing rate of 90MB/s which means it's suitable for high bit rate 4K video, and also the buffer will clear faster if you've shot a burst of raw shots. It also loads photos on to your computer much quicker.

Edited by Chippy_boy
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Leica Guy said:

I have the same question. Why do I need a tough SD card? I’ve only had one failure in 15 years. It was an off-brand I will never buy again. I use Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-II cards. Never a problem. Fingers crossed though. 

You don't need one obviously. But if asked would you like a tough card that can stand rough handling like if you drop it on a concrete floor, or would you prefer a fragile one? Seems to me like tough is a no brainer when the price is the same or less.

6 hours ago, Chippy_boy said:

You don't need one obviously. But if asked would you like a tough card that can stand rough handling like if you drop it on a concrete floor, or would you prefer a fragile one? Seems to me like tough is a no brainer when the price is the same or less.

I hear you. When Sandisk starts making them I might jump. The current cards seems pretty rugged in the way I handle them. 

Just a quick heads up that my 128GB card arrived today. It seems well made and performance is a tad better than that of my usual card - a Pro Grade UHS-II V90 Card.

*However*, it must be a bit thicker than a normal SD card, because it's quite a tight fit into the Q2 card slot and not that easy to remove. It doesn't eject like a normal card and sticks in the slot until you pull it out.  It's "OK" but I am not 100% comfortable with it, so I plan on using my Manfrotto card as a backup only.  Others may have no issue with it, but I thought I should mention it.

Cheers again

Mark

• Thanks 2