Use of 21mm Brightline finder on M-A for 28mm lens

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm planning to get a 28mm Summicron for my M-A. Of course the camera's viewfinder has frame lines for 28, but the lines are a little difficult to see at times if the hood is being used. 

I'm thinking of adding a brightline finder for quick shooting. The older 28mm Leica finders are difficult to find in good shape. The Zeiss 25 28 finders are optically great, but can be fragile.

So the other option I'm considering is the current Leica 21mm Brightline finder with the brass housing. And then to use the frame lines in the finder meant for use on the M8. Given the 1.33 crop factor, my understanding is that these lines should correspond to a 28mm on a full frame camera.

Any experiences or thoughts?

That is correct. I haven't tried it myself yet, but am on the watch for a used version of the current 21 "dual-FF/M8" finder, since I use both focal lengths.

For me it is not just a question of not seeing the built-in 28 lines, but of better showing the "perspective" a 28 delivers (big foregrounds-small backgrounds), and also accuracy - the external finders show more of the final 28mm picture than the internal lines.

The image below shows what the camera's internal 28mm lines show (~"32mm" FoV - white lines), and what the "M8 lines" of the 21mm external finder (or a true 28mm finder) will show (yellow lines), and what is in the final picture.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, ArneNorris said:

I'm planning to get a 28mm Summicron for my M-A. Of course the camera's viewfinder has frame lines for 28, but the lines are a little difficult to see at times if the hood is being used. 

I'm thinking of adding a brightline finder for quick shooting. The older 28mm Leica finders are difficult to find in good shape. The Zeiss 25 28 finders are optically great, but can be fragile.

So the other option I'm considering is the current Leica 21mm Brightline finder with the brass housing. And then to use the frame lines in the finder meant for use on the M8. Given the 1.33 crop factor, my understanding is that these lines should correspond to a 28mm on a full frame camera.

Any experiences or thoughts?

8 hours ago, adan said:

That is correct. I haven't tried it myself yet, but am on the watch for a used version of the current 21 "dual-FF/M8" finder, since I use both focal lengths.

For me it is not just a question of not seeing the built-in 28 lines, but of better showing the "perspective" a 28 delivers (big foregrounds-small backgrounds), and also accuracy - the external finders show more of the final 28mm picture than the internal lines.

The image below shows what the camera's internal 28mm lines show (~"32mm" FoV - white lines), and what the "M8 lines" of the 21mm external finder (or a true 28mm finder) will show (yellow lines), and what is in the final picture.

A timely post.  I've thought about the same thing.  I have a 28mm finder for my m3 but if a 21mm will work I can lighten the bag.  Thanks for the photo, Andy.  A picture is indeed worth a thousand words.