TL2 Autofocus and EVF Questions

ChiTown

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Everyone,

A film street photographer from Chicago, mostly street portraits. I decided to try a Leica TL2 with a 60mm APO-Macro-Elmarit-TL 60mm f/2.8 ASPH. I have been doing this for 40 years moslty with an old Bronica medium format camera. Manuel everything. Decided on this TL2 because I dont care to carry all that heavy equipment and not concerned with trying to make everything perfect anymore. I also have used a Nikon 810 for quite some time. 

Can someone help me with the TL2's autofocus system. I have it set to spot metering because I shoot close to wide open. I am still learning how to use this baby. The spot metering jumps a lot to like some auto spot meter mode while focusing. If you shoot street photography you know I can t ask for a re-due, lol. Also I have tried the EVF, and it seems kind of jump a little. Doesnt seem like the EVF works very well either. 

Some of the images that seem spot on do look a little soft, but maybe thats just a Leica thing. The color rendering is superb and  bokeh wonderful.

Do any of you wonderful experts have some advice to help me out here. 

Spot metering is too precise for the intended use. It will often miss the intended target, unless your aim is spot-on ( :D ). Use field. For street even better face recognition (which is the same as multi-field, except it will pick up faces in the image)  Spot AF is more useful for -for instance- shallow-DOF portraits where one needs to put the critical focus on the nearest eye.

If the images look a bit soft, please consider motion blur. Digital is more critical than film, and using the TL in the Dirty-Nappy mode is more susceptible to camera movement.

The EVF can sometimes jump a bit, but mostly in low light and fast panning.

Turn focus limit ON ! 
Otherwise APO-Macro-TL 60 will try to focus from 16cm to infinity. Hence the constant jump. 

Turn it OFF when you need to do some macro works. 

And make sure to use AF-S only. AF-C wobble is unbearable. 

Edited by nicci78

5 hours ago, jaapv said:

Spot metering is too precise for the intended use. It will often miss the intended target, unless your aim is spot-on ( :D ). Use field. For street even better face recognition (which is the same as multi-field, except it will pick up faces in the image)  Spot AF is more useful for -for instance- shallow-DOF portraits where one needs to put the critical focus on the nearest eye.

If the images look a bit soft, please consider motion blur. Digital is more critical than film, and using the TL in the Dirty-Nappy mode is more susceptible to camera movement.

The EVF can sometimes jump a bit, but mostly in low light and fast panning.

Spot metering with my Nikon for this style of portraits has mostly been (spot) on, It’s prob just the way I’m using the new tl2. Thanks for both of your suggestions, will check those settings out. Once I get those down it will be a pleasure to shoot with I’m sure.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is one from my first day. I really like how subtle it is, but still sharp. I'm going to have a lot of fun with my new Leica setup.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

I just finished going over all my settings and have to say that even I make mistakes - shhhhh - Thanks for the heads up jaapv. I reread all the replies again and yes, you are right. What the heck am I spot metering for. I meant center weighted. I never use spot metering for street portraits. I think that change will be the ticket.

• 5 months later...

On 12/18/2019 at 2:48 AM, nicci78 said:

Turn focus limit ON ! 
Otherwise APO-Macro-TL 60 will try to focus from 16cm to infinity. Hence the constant jump. 

Turn it OFF when you need to do some macro works. 

And make sure to use AF-S only. AF-C wobble is unbearable. 

How do you turn focus limit On/Off?

Edited by YT Ng

• 3 years later...