Jump to content

M10-D On/Off/Wi-Fi Dial tough to move


Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The dial on the back had always been firm which is fine.  But lately it has been very hard to shift around and sometimes appearing to almost jam. Is there a quick fix...how can I remove the dial and take a look or has the camera got to travel back to Germany?

Edited by TangoCharlie27
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TangoCharlie27 said:

The dial on the back had always been firm which is fine.  But lately it has been very hard to shift around and sometimes appearing to almost jam. Is there a quick fix...how can I remove the dial and take a look or has the camera got to travel back to Germany?

I wouldn't mess with it..........So yes sadly it's probably a trip back to Wetzlar to fix it. While you're at it, ( if you agree of course ), please let Leica know that the rear dial is a poorly executed piece of design. For instance I feel that it should have been metal like the previous MD's rear dial and that there should have been a safety catch to prevent one accidentally turning too far to the WiFi position when switching the camera on.

Meantime, if you can turn it on, leave it on. Mine is set to 2 minutes "sleep" time, the on/off dial is camera taped so it can't be moved and I find that the battery drain when the camera isn't used even for a few days or more is minimal. My MD is "On" pretty much all the time.

Edited by petermullett
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, petermullett said:

I wouldn't mess with it..........So yes sadly it's probably a trip back to Wetzlar to fix it. While you're at it, ( if you agree of course ), please let Leica know that the rear dial is a poorly executed piece of design. For instance I feel that it should have been metal like the previous MD's rear dial and that there should have been a safety catch to prevent one accidentally turning too far to the WiFi position when switching the camera on.

Meantime, if you can turn it on, leave it on. Mine is set to 2 minutes "sleep" time, the on/off dial is camera taped so it can't be moved and I find that the battery drain when the camera isn't used even for a few days or more is minimal. My MD is "On" pretty much all the time.

Thanks.  that's exactly what I've been doing regarding the leaving on sleep.  I have found that if I dial it to the off position, it can be very hard to move it at all.  It almost looks like the plastic dial is warped.  What can cause it to cease up?  Switches or the dial?  Dust under the dial?

Edited by TangoCharlie27
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, TangoCharlie27 said:

Thanks.  that's exactly what I've been doing regarding the leaving on sleep.  I have found that if I dial it to the off position, it can be very hard to move it at all.  It almost looks like the plastic dial is warped.  What can cause it to cease up?  Switches or the dial?  Dust under the dial?

 

8 minutes ago, AndreasG said:

Could this happen if too much axial pressure is applied onto the switch while turning?

 

Well I think my answer to both of your questions here is again that I think that the rear dial switch on the M10-D is poorly conceived and poorly made....It should have been of metal construction like the previous MD, definitely not made of plastic which isn't a good choice for a camera of this cost and quality and also I think that the dial itself wasn't thought out well. I know Leica must have testers for their new designs but I wonder how rigorous the testing is and whether or not the testers themselves do actually influence Leica's design decisions. I know that if I had been one of them for the M10-D I'd have presented Leica with a list of corrections and questions "why"..............BUT having said that, with all the  frustrations I do have with the camera this is for me the best digital M that I've yet owned.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 months later...

How did your repairs end up? My M10-D has started doing the exact same thing. It was fine 2 days ago, yesterday it was really difficult to move and today it's completely frozen. Fortunately, I read your post and left it at the on position.

I'm just curious if they explained why it occurred and what to do if it occurs again.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine's at Wetzlar now, for a mother-board/internal battery problem, but I also asked them to look at the rear OFF/ON/WIFI switch too because I always secure mine at the ON position with a piece of black paper camera tape, ( I keep the camera "ON" with sleep set to 2 minutes, and that works for me ), because it too easily goes to the WIFI position and that drains the battery very quickly. I have always felt that this switch was poorly conceived, at least for me anyway, and I'd much rather have had the ON/Off at the normal M position, under the shutter release with WIFI activated in another, safer, way and exposure compensation dealt with by the thumb wheel. I've yet to hear back from them regarding the switch.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

it's actually metal, likely brass : look here - i was so crazy to drill some holes, or dents i should say, so fed up i was with that loose dial.  look also here and here.  ultimately it's now black textile tape that covers most of the dial which explains why the colored holes at the dial's side were needed...

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...