Focus peaking not working on sl2

Nicky Scali

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 12/13/2019 at 10:38 PM, Nicky Scali said:

One thing have noticed is that in the focus in menu, the ‘MF Setup’ option is greyed out and I cannot access it.

You need to access the MF set up option without a lens mounted.  The the lens off, put the body cap on, and then you can select the 'MF Setup' option.  (Counter-intuitive, I know, but that is how it works.)

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I am having problem toggling the display option for focus peaking.  I have a SL2-S with latest firmware and I am able to enable focus peaking using the Leica M to L adapter using a M lens when shooting.  But when I display the photos on the screen, it shows all the highlighted areas which is very distracting.  I was under the impression that if I assigned the FN button to “Toggle Info Level”, I could see the photos with and without the highlights just by pressing the FN button repeatedly.  Am I incorrect?  What am I doing wrong?  Thank you

22 minutes ago, MrQ said:

Well I am having problem toggling the display option for focus peaking.  I have a SL2-S with latest firmware and I am able to enable focus peaking using the Leica M to L adapter using a M lens when shooting.  But when I display the photos on the screen, it shows all the highlighted areas which is very distracting.  I was under the impression that if I assigned the FN button to “Toggle Info Level”, I could see the photos with and without the highlights just by pressing the FN button repeatedly.  Am I incorrect?  What am I doing wrong?  Thank you

Never mind, I figured it out...

• 2 months later...

If anyone else is also having issues when using an L adapter and M lens on the SL-2 (or other SL models), i've discovered that Focus Peaking is NOT working in my "custom profiles," but it DOES work when i choose the "Default" Profile from the profile menu.
I am attempting to try to figure out which settings i may have disabled in my own Custom Profiles that disables the Focus Peaking option. I AM aware that the Function button toggles the Focus Peaking on and off and that Profile #3 controls that and other features, but the issue is confusing, again, Focus Peaking works when i choose the DEFAULT PROFILE.

Has anyone else possibly figured this out or discovered what i have when trying to enable Focus Peaking with an L adapter and M lenses?  I am using the latest Firmware 3.0.

Edited by roverover

2 hours ago, roverover said:

If anyone else is also having issues when using an L adapter and M lens on the SL-2 (or other SL models), i've discovered that Focus Peaking is NOT working in my "custom profiles," but it DOES work when i choose the "Default" Profile from the profile menu.
I am attempting to try to figure out which settings i may have disabled in my own Custom Profiles that disables the Focus Peaking option. I AM aware that the Function button toggles the Focus Peaking on and off and that Profile #3 controls that and other features, but the issue is confusing, again, Focus Peaking works when i choose the DEFAULT PROFILE.

Has anyone else possibly figured this out or discovered what i have when trying to enable Focus Peaking with an L adapter and M lenses?  I am using the latest Firmware 3.0.

You might want to make sure your problematic profile has Enhanced Live View mode disabled. ELV only kicks in when its darker but when it does kick in, focus peaking is disabled.

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, beewee said:

You might want to make sure your problematic profile has Enhanced Live View mode disabled. ELV only kicks in when its darker but when it does kick in, focus peaking is disabled.

Thank You for your comment, I just investigated that feature and you are correct, Enhanced Live View was enabled in my Custom profiles.
I have disabled it and now Focus Peaking is functioning the way i want with my M lenses, so thank you for posting about it!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

My focus peaking with my M lens(modern) is also not working. I followed the above instructions, and added it to the fn button. The focus peaking icon appears when I turn on the camera and somehow disappears after a few seconds. Also, the auto magnification is also not working.

Thank you for any help you can give.

1 hour ago, STurker said:

Hi,

My focus peaking with my M lens(modern) is also not working. I followed the above instructions, and added it to the fn button. The focus peaking icon appears when I turn on the camera and somehow disappears after a few seconds. Also, the auto magnification is also not working.

there was a bug where peaking disappeared..which FW is installed? ..you can search the threads..but on my SL2-S with latest FW it works fine with all manual lenses

Edited by frame-it

18 hours ago, STurker said:

Hi,

With an M Lens, the image magnification is done "Manually" on the SL-2.  You have 2 options. PUSH 1 of the Front buttons to magnify OR the Joystick on the back and your image will magnify and then using the Front SETTING Wheel, you can then adjust what Zoom level You want to see.

ALSO, the SL-2 and SL-2S DO allow Focus Peaking with Manual M lenses for certain. I have many M lenses and they all work. I only have modern 6 -bit coded M Lenses, so i can not speak about whether or not the older non-coded M lenses will Focus Peak, but the modern ones DO.

Your Function Button should have 4 different Viewing "levels" enabled that you can go through, and by default, i recall the Focus Peaking feature and Icon are set to come on in the "second level," so press the Function button until you see the Focus Peaking Icon pop up and then it should work. If you have fooled around with the focus peak settings and changed them, you may want to enable the DEFAULT User profile and see if You can get it working under that profile, but it DOES work!

Edited by roverover

3 hours ago, Michael Markey said:

Does focus peaking work with Panasonic lenses ? 

I can`t seem to enable it .... it magnifies but there is no peaking .

Enhanced life View is off and latest firmware installed .

I tested two Panasonic lenses just now and both show focus peaking.  I assign the top button on the front of the camera next to the lens mount to focus magnify but there is no way to direct program a peeking toggle except to cycle through display options using FN button on the back.  As someone mentioned above, ensure "Enhanced Live View" is disabled (Menu page 3, under Live View Settings).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Speeding said:

I tested two Panasonic lenses just now and both show focus peaking.  I assign the top button on the front of the camera next to the lens mount to focus magnify but there is no way to direct program a peeking toggle except to cycle through display options using FN button on the back.  As someone mentioned above, ensure "Enhanced Live View" is disabled (Menu page 3, under Live View Settings).

Thank you ..... I need to double check my settings .

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/28/2021 at 4:19 PM, bherman01545 said:

+1, that is correct

I tried with fn button and it works. 

Found also another way before, is to assign a function button to the focus peaking and then you can just enable or disable the focus peaking.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Am 21.7.2022 um 01:03 schrieb FrankI:

I cannot get focus peaking to work on my SL2S. I have set it on my Fuji xt4 without issue, Trying to use mount Voigtlander lenses.  Any help would be appreciated.

Same for me.
Have the 3.0 FW on my SL2s and Focuspeaking is not working.
Have a Original M-L Adapter and a non-coded lens attached 

• 1 year later...
On 11/16/2021 at 10:50 AM, beewee said:

This is the correct answer. Thank you beewee!