Focus peaking not working on sl2

Nicky Scali

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

I was hoping someone could help or tell me if they are experiencing the same issue on the new SL2.

I am unable to get focus peaking to work on my sl2 at all in manual focus mode.

I have tried both an sl lens and various m lenses.

One thing have noticed is that in the focus in menu, the ‘MF Setup’ option is greyed out and I cannot access it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kind Regards

My SL2’s focus peaking was also not working when I first got the camera. I think it is off by default. The relevant options are under “focus assist” if I recall correctly.

I had to change the color of the peaking to blue to see it at first. I then changed it back to red and it was easier to notice.

I don’t remember it being this way on the CL but I think the higher resolution of the SL2’s EVF allows the peaking to be much more precise (and in some cases, harder to see).

11 minutes ago, digitalfx said:

you also need to enable that view...there is a post with detailed instructions if you search.

FN button scrolls thru view options. Assuming you have peaking assigned to one scroll thru them with FN

Ah right that was it. Hit FN until you get an icon on the right side of the display that corresponds to focus peaking. (I found this in the manual, BTW).

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Nicky Scali said:

Hi all,

I was hoping someone could help or tell me if they are experiencing the same issue on the new SL2.

One thing have noticed is that in the focus in menu, the ‘MF Setup’ option is greyed out and I cannot access it.

Kind Regards

In the menu, go to Camera Settings (page 4 or 5 I think). 

Then Capture Assistants

Then Setting

Within each info profile, you can choose what you do or don't want to see while that info profile is selected. Focus Peaking is one of those options. You will quickly realize that you have full control over exactly what is displayed in each profile (I like focus peaking As etherfarm above mentioned, you can cycle through these info profiles using the FN button (side note: you can also reprogram the FN button to do something else when pressed, and choose a different button to cycle through info profiles in Live View)). It's pretty cool!

vor 6 Stunden schrieb Nicky Scali:

Hi all,

[...]

Kind Regards

You need to shoot DNG+JPEG or just JPEG in order for focus peaking to work.  DNG only won’t do it. 

vor 22 Minuten schrieb leicameech:

This is (fortunately) not true. You can indeed engage focus peaking when shooting DNG only. 

Correct.  For some reason focus peaking didn't work the first time I tried the SL2 with an M lens.  I had to choose DNG+JPEG and then it worked.  Now it works with DNG only, too.  Thanks.

6 hours ago, Chaemono said:

You need to shoot DNG+JPEG or just JPEG in order for focus peaking to work.  DNG only won’t do it. 

That is not the case for me.  I am in full DNG mode and I can focus peak

46 minutes ago, Homer Tali said:

When I use FN button to enable focus peaking, it also turns on Histogam, how can I just have the focus peaking enable and have the histograms OFF? Thx

Default setting for FN button is to "Toggle Info Levels". You need to customize the appropriate info profile.

In the camera menu page 5: Camera Settings -> Capture Assistants -> Setting -> Info Profile 3 (turn off Histogram).

• 11 months later...
On 12/13/2019 at 8:10 PM, leicameech said:

In the menu, go to Camera Settings (page 4 or 5 I think). 

Then Capture Assistants

Then Setting

Within each info profile, you can choose what you do or don't want to see while that info profile is selected. Focus Peaking is one of those options. You will quickly realize that you have full control over exactly what is displayed in each profile (I like focus peaking As etherfarm above mentioned, you can cycle through these info profiles using the FN button (side note: you can also reprogram the FN button to do something else when pressed, and choose a different button to cycle through info profiles in Live View)). It's pretty cool!

Thanks for this. I've just bought my SL2 - Adorama as usual. And for the life of me, couldn't find how to activate focus peaking. Until reading your post. 

Then as your comment points out, I tested the FN button and sure enough it changes to another profile. Not yet decided what to assign the FN button to do, but a very cool option indeed.

Edited by Charlie F.

• 1 month later...