Nikkor Z 35/1.8 S vs. APO 35 Summicron-SL

Chaemono

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 12 Stunden schrieb mmradman:

4 time the price difference?  In your dreams. 

In case of 50mm the difference is probably closer to 10 times - currently in UK Z 50mm retails for £350 while L is about £3500, differential for 35mm is more modest 6-7 times.  Pursuit of perfection is game of diminishing returns.  

Talking of 50mm, compared to AF counterpart APO Summicron M 50mm is the real gem being so small and fit for M, L and almost any third party mirrorless platform.

You are correct, I had a higher price for the Nikons in mind, but was wrong.

In case of the 50 APO-M - a great lens - why would I want to pay a higher price for a manual focus lens, without weather sealing, longer min. focus distance if I want to use it on an AF camera?

5 hours ago, Chaemono said:

A 35 mm lens that is so soft that the pictures even from a 46 MPx sensor cannot be cropped is of limited value.  The APO 35 Summicron-SL wide open is like three lenses in one, a 35, a 50, and a 75 mm lens.  Less so on the S1, of course. 😁

I can’t imagine you actually believe that. Not croppable??? Come on... really? 

Like I said, I prefer Leica glass too, but the Nikon is not nearly as bad as you are making it out to be. It is certainly as croppable as the Leica... just not quite as good. 

2 hours ago, tom0511 said:

You are correct, I had a higher price for the Nikons in mind, but was wrong.

In case of the 50 APO-M - a great lens - why would I want to pay a higher price for a manual focus lens, without weather sealing, longer min. focus distance if I want to use it on an AF camera?

Anyone using L mount camera only native L lens would be my first choice.  Waterproof argument doesn’t wash with me, if it is really that rainy all you see in front of you is wall of raindrops.

In my opinion (plus what I already have) M lens is more versatile than L counterpart, bit of performance here or there is really splitting hairs in real life shooting scenario. With a bit of well timed opportune shopping (non compulsive) even expensive M lens can be purchased at significant discount brand new.  Secondhand nowadays go for kind of money I bought new 4 years ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Donzo98 said:

I can’t imagine you actually believe that. Not croppable??? Come on... really? 

Like I said, I prefer Leica glass too, but the Nikon is not nearly as bad as you are making it out to be. It is certainly as croppable as the Leica... just not quite as good. 

Common, this is Leica forum.  Everything Nikon (or Canon on Sony) is piece of c**p 😂

For full disclosure I part exchanged SL601 for Z7 kit, since than bought 24, 50 & 85mm Z primes, they are delicious, all three for about 50% of one L APO prime.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mmradman said:

For full disclosure I part exchanged SL601 for Z7 kit, since than bought 24, 50 & 85mm Z primes, they are delicious, all three for about 50% of one L APO prime.

As I was user of the z7 before the SL2: the lenses you're talking about are just fine, but the z35 isn't as good as the user ones :)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, mmradman said:

Anyone using L mount camera only native L lens would be my first choice.  Waterproof argument doesn’t wash with me, if it is really that rainy all you see in front of you is wall of raindrops.

<snip>

Rain and snow are situations where some of the best photographs happen. The main challenge is to keep the front lens clear from water.
I never understood the argument where people wait for good weather to go photographing :-).

Anyone who is looking at pixel-level contrast might want to try sharpening the Nikon image. The gap between them is closed considerably, to my eye, with just a light edit.

Still, I'm blown away by the Leica. I can imagine the APO-Summicron-SL line being reason enough for the long-term survival of the L-mount.

2 hours ago, SrMi said:

Rain and snow are situations where some of the best photographs happen. The main challenge is to keep the front lens clear from water.
I never understood the argument where people wait for good weather to go photographing :-).

I am not disputing for a second that photography can be done in any weather .  

Marketing would like us to believe in all sort of things,  I am by nature sceptical to any kind of sell even a very subtle one, perhaps disguised as friendly forum banter.   Good luck anyone testing waterproof claims to the extreme, in case of exposing and damaging you “submarine grade Leica equipment” wish you good luck in getting sympathetic response from service department.  

There are means and ways to shoot in poor wether even with non-waterproof camera, just yesterday  I was caught in rain and tucking the camera under my rain proof shell jacket removed all the risk. I care first about photographer being dry, camera can happily follow. 

People, enjoy your equipment, water proof or not and, take pictures and Merry Christmas.

vor einer Stunde schrieb m9photo:

What are we achieving by using the more expensive Leica glass?  

Suppose one of the Magi had asked you for a portrait but you only did landscape work.  Well, with the 35 Summicron-SL you could have cropped him a nice, sharp portrait rich in detail of his beautifull Persian dress.

Less compressed JPEGs here: https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-QNVCnR/

Nikon RAW file download here: https://cc2032.zenfolio.com/img/g156542542-o750076470.dat?dl=2&tk=et4ZtfF0nN1Uj2Mq4wiDIkeqtShXnz6d6zqhadpEc_I=

Leica RAW file download here: https://cc2032.zenfolio.com/img/g447362977-o750076470.dat?dl=2&tk=-IHqdCozdtnFq2Jp-HoRLZJAPIfHuP3aFBmsrY49JKY=

Z7 + Nikkor Z 35/1.8 S 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

ISO 100 f/2 @1/13 sec.

SL2 + 35 Summicron-SLISO 100 f/2 @1/13 sec.

And now the portraits.

Nikon portrait cropped from above

Leica portrait cropped from above

24 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

And now the portraits.

Nikon portrait cropped from above

Leica portrait cropped from above

No question... 35SL is better. But not enough for most people to care about, or notice.

I do care... and shoot the SL glass.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chaemono said:

I hope you weren’t looking at the LUF compressed JPEGs then. 

I looked at the less compressed versions.

I stand by my original comments... better... but not enough to justify the enormous price diff for most.

Edited by Donzo98
  • Thanks 1

vor 51 Minuten schrieb Donzo98:

I looked at the less compressed versions.

I stand by my original comments... better... but not enough to justify the enormous price diff for most.

Head and shoulder crops.  They are not even close.  Look at the details of the dress on the shoulder.

Nikon Magi H & S crop

Leica Magi H & S crop

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1