Film Leica vs M10-P

raj

Guest Nowhereman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 12/28/2019 at 5:08 PM, jaapv said:

You'll find, except when you are using slide film (which reacts the same as a sensor), that the detail loss of a sensor is in the highlights and the detail loss of film in the shadows.

One the many commercially available film emulations is particularly good at taming digital highlight rendition, the C1ick Match profile packs that emulate Kodak and Fuji color negative and some B&W films. These are profiles, not presets, and seem to be used mostly by wedding photographers who either shoot both film and digital and need to match, for wedding albums, their digital shots to the look of the film they use. There is a C1ick Match Facebook group in which almost all the participants are wedding photographers that, to me, have a boring, uniformity of look; but you can see how well these profiles can work in helping one to achieve good highlight gradation digitally. I've only tried out the C1ick Match profiles  on a friend's computer, but can see that they are much better than the defunct VSCO presets — no comparison, really. Looks like they can save one a lot of time in processing files shot in difficult light.

On 12/12/2019 at 7:15 AM, raj said:

But I worry that if I get an M10-P, the MP might just sit around which seems a waste. 

Any thoughts on what I should do? I mostly use the Leica to photograph personal work, most often my family. Some of my personal work can be seen here: instagram.com/raj.filmdiary

My options are:

1. Just keep the MP and get nothing else

2. Keep the MP and M9-P

3. Keep the MP and get an M10-P

Any thoughts would be appreciated 🙏🏽

I shoot both film and digital, usually carrying both, even when traveling.
If I’m not using one at a particular time, it’s only because i can only shoot one at a time.
I would encourage you to keep both as they each fill a void that the other cannot IMHO. 

And since you like the MP so much consider an M-D or M10-D for your digital requirements. 

I have an M-D 262 and it gives me the most film-like experience of any digital camera that I’ve ever used. 

• Like 2

On 12/31/2019 at 7:40 AM, raj said:

"Both have their place"

This is what I'm interested to know more about. When do you use one or the other? :)

I try to use film wherever I can except when its inherent limitations prohibit me from doing so. (Mind you, there are accessories that can be used to overcome these limitations but I like to carry as light and as freely as possible.)

The first instance where I’d reach for digital would be when there is a lack of or too much light. Extra stops of ISO or shutter speed sure make it easier. 
The second would be when I’m doing something experimental like panning or double exposure. For an amateur like me who needs multiple attempts to get a usable shot the extra storage that digital SD cards provide is critical. 
A third instance would be if I need to access finished photos immediately. When I shoot a family gathering, everyone wants to see them before they leave. Digital is good for that. 
I’m sure there are other examples but those are what come to mind right now.

There is no wrong answer. Get the digital camera that you fancy the most and shoot both.

Edited by plaidshirts
Grammar!

On 12/26/2019 at 7:56 AM, Nitnaros said:

The photo from the table cloth at ISO 12,500 , it would be quite difficult to shoot that with color film.

I believe this is the reason I want to get a digital Leica. I photograph my kids a lot. They're very young and often don't sit still. When the light is great, I can set at f/8 and at least 1/125 and zone focus all day to photograph them, but when the light starts dipping, film just can't handle it without pushing (but if I'm mid roll, that doesn't work too great) and I yearn to shoot digital. The thing is, I don't know how often I do that and if its worth investing so much money into that.

But I guess I won't know until I try it.

• Like 1

This thread is become a circular firing squad.

Everyone makes valid points, some a little more incendiary than necessary. If someone were next to show up here with images modified using DxO Filmpack, is it less relevant than the colors & grain chosen by Kodak for extinct Kodachrome? I don't think so.

9 hours ago, raj said:

I believe this is the reason I want to get a digital Leica. I photograph my kids a lot. They're very young and often don't sit still. When the light is great, I can set at f/8 and at least 1/125 and zone focus all day to photograph them, but when the light starts dipping, film just can't handle it without pushing (but if I'm mid roll, that doesn't work too great) and I yearn to shoot digital. The thing is, I don't know how often I do that and if its worth investing so much money into that.

But I guess I won't know until I try it.

me chasing my daughter around the store while wife is shopping.  Crappy light, I was stuck with the slow portra 160.  Yet, at f2 with a good lens it wasn't a problem...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by A miller
  • Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

• Like 3

• Like 2

I am serious when I say that the iPhone 11 Pro is pretty darn good for family snaps on the go in really low light.  

I really don't feel myself limited in any way in all lighting situations.  Absolute worst case scenario, you can get a high quality pocket film camera like a Contax T3 which has a legendary Zeiss lens and a flash and you can choose your own aperture which opens to f2.8.  Just for illustration, here are some examples of that set up in about as dark of conditions as one can get (at night time outside with hardly any light):

Portra 400 pushed to 800

Edited by A miller
  • Like 5

• Like 3

I am merely sharing these to demonstrate that you can get plenty good results with a film aesthetic while chasing people around with the help of a little fill flash.  

Obviously, one can up the "technical quality" immensely with the use of more control over the flash settings (I follow a very crude workflow).

The bottom line is that you can absolutely satisfy all of your photographic needs with film.  If this doesn't make sense, then you just want a digital camera... 🤷‍♂️

• Like 4

Guest Nowhereman

Thought I'd add a couple of shots, each, with the M10 and the M3/Portra 400 using the same lenses. Really doesn't matter what you shoot. As shown in one the early posts, though, bad light or haphazard processing can give you muddy tonality in either case. In that case, one might do better with a smart phone.

M10 | DR Summicron 50 | ISO 800 | f/5.6 | 1/180 sec

Tokyo - The Empire of Signs

M10 | Summaron-M 1:5.6/28  | ISO 800 | f/5.6 | 1/350 sec
Bangkok

M3 | DR Summicron 50 | Kodak Portra 400 | f2.0 
Paris 

M3 | Summaron-M 1:5.6/28 | Kodak Portra 400 | f/5.6
Wiang Pa Pao

I'm afraid you are undermining your own argument by posting those photos, Mitch. I genuinely hate the whole film v. digital argument (and this thread has been a depressing reminder why no good ever comes of it) but if anyone asks me to express a preference, your four photos above provide a stark demonstration why film is my first choice. 😀

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Guest Nowhereman

Ian - Certainly, the last shot in post above (Wiang Pa Pao), I was never able to come close to in terms of color rendition when I shot the same scene several times again over the next couple of years with the M10, and I wasn't that lucky again in having those storm clouds — but, when I was deciding on buying the Summaron-M 1:5.6/28, you did warn me you had heard it might work better with film than with digital.

On the other hand, the first shot above (Tokyo late-November), on a rainy day that have high-saturation color, I'm happy enough with as a cityscape. The same for the following landscape, in the harsh tropical light, with the depth of the shade, that appears already at 9 am. Though, generally, I agree with you on the depressing nature of this thread.

M10 | DR Summicron 50 | ISO 200 | f/8.0 | 1/125 sec

Chiang Mai 

Totally agree with Ian.  

I would also add that Mitch's statement that it "Really doesn't matter what you shoot" is not really going to inspire anyone to run out and spend $6000 on a Leica digital camera. 😂

To me, this thread is really all about someone wanting others to justify his GAS.  

This to some extent is depressing in and of itself.  So why not have some fun with it and throw some realism  into the discussion!

Of Nowhereman's four images above, the two made by the M10 are much more interesting images (to my eye). Does that tip the scale one way or the other?

The OP is curious about digital, so s/he should clearly spend some time with a digital M to see what it's all about. Better to buy a used one, so if it doesn't work out, it can be sold without taking too much of a hit. Or maybe it'll be the film body that gets kicked to the curb???

9 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

when I was deciding on buying the Summaron-M 1:5.6/28, you did warn me you had heard it might work better with film than with digital.

I didn't warn you based on what I had heard, Mitch, I was advising you based on my direct experience. I still very much stand by that opinion.

I like your photo above with the DR 50 and I like it as a digital file. I might even prefer it as a digital file (I have a few photos my own that I'm glad I took using digital) but I suspect that the same photo taken using Portra would have a greater airiness to the light that I'd have probably found preferable. But that's just me. It's not my photo nor is it for me to second guess a photographer's intent.

Edited by wattsy

Am 12.12.2019 um 16:15 schrieb raj:

Hi everyone,

I currently own a Leica MP. It’s my favorite camera. Some of my favorite photos were made with it and I want it to be something I pass down to one of my kids (as long as they keep making film). So I don’t want to get rid of that camera. 🙏🏽 ......

Get the M10M

2 hours ago, analog-digital said:

Get the M10M

These threads are funny, everyone just posts random personal preferences. The OP is probably not listening anymore (if s/he has any sense). In any case, I looked at their Instagram - which was mostly color photography - and otherwise I must’ve missed the part where they said they needed a monochrome digital camera. 

Guest Nowhereman
6 hours ago, wattsy said:

I didn't warn you based on what I had heard, Mitch, I was advising you based on my direct experience. I still very much stand by that opinion...

My memory may be faulty, but I thought you had said that, at that time, you had tried the Summaron-M 1:5.6/28 only with film.

Frog Leaping photobook