New: Leica Summilux-M 90 mm f/1.5 ASPH

LUF Admin

That’s what I thought. Also for the 90/1.5 versus the SL 90 Summicron. Maybe my eyes are getting old

4 hours ago, Exodies said:

Could someone show an advantage of the Noctilux 75 over the L 75 please.

i loved the first Noctilux pictures I saw but then I wasn’t sure they were unique when I saw the L examples.

Today received my lens. By the terms  of size it is HUGE, but somehow it is much easier to use than 75mm . I agree that it should be much more pleasant to use with SL, but nevertheless it is good on M as well.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

This quote just came to my mind: „In our time we want our objects to be faultless: this peculiarity can also be applied as a trace and track question: nowadays, craftsmen want their tools to be in perfect shape: in antiquity this was not as important.Today, we like that everything is perfect in terms of technological precision, achieved through industrial design solutions. In antiquity, the object was perfect although of a higher and harmonious perfection because the tool, the hand were driven by the soul. In ancient times, the relationship between man and its higher self, the divine, unveils itself in the artefact: each object is unique, as the hand of the craftsman is driven by its mind and soul. Today, it is driven by numeric control machines and mass produced. Even defects are computer generated. This is to confirm that an authentic object, meaning a cultural heritage artefact, has its own identity: detectable, traceable, understandable, with knowledge, competence and passion …. It’s a matter of soul: if there is no soul, it is an object, simply an object, with no heart; if the soul is there, then the object becomes an artefact, an immortal statement, beyond time and space, rejoining with those who can interpret it, and is forever alive, as the soul.“ (in „A Quest for Authenticity“, Vitobello and Rehren, London 2009)

So, there we are :)

The Thambar is a fine lens ;) 

Edited by Arrow
  • Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 12/24/2019 at 5:19 PM, Postelnikov said:

Today received my lens. By the terms  of size it is HUGE, but somehow it is much easier to use than 75mm . I agree that it should be much more pleasant to use with SL, but nevertheless it is good on M as well.

If you have the opportunity ... could you take some night photographs with light sources in the unsharp background? Maybe, the same photo at f1.5 and f2 in order to judge on the rendering difference. Cheers!

1 hour ago, Arrow said:

If you have the opportunity ... could you take some night photographs with light sources in the unsharp background? Maybe, the same photo at f1.5 and f2 in order to judge on the rendering difference. Cheers!

Just in case you didn't see it: A little bit down on the streetsilhouettes.com review there is a photo taken at f/2.0 where you can see the rendering of defocused light sources (mint green) in the background. They are a little more jagged than the photos taken fully open.

24 minutes ago, evikne said:

Just in case you didn't see it: A little bit down on the streetsilhouettes.com review there is a photo taken at f/2.0 where you can see the rendering of defocused light sources (mint green) in the background. They are a little more jagged than the photos taken fully open.

I must have been focussing more on the figure rather than the ground when I read the review, some days ago ;) 

Altogether. it looks like a pretty good lens to frame something in well behaved and unobtrusive cloud of bokeh. 

On 12/17/2019 at 12:42 AM, Flu said:

What's concerning me is that when carrying a kit with my 75 Noctilux, 50/0.95 and 90/1.5 along with a couple of wides and two M10 bodies, it's likely to leave an indent in the soft brown leather passenger seat in my Veyron. That's just unacceptable.

Edited by fotografr
  • Like 5
  • Haha 12

5 hours ago, fotografr said:

What's concerning me is that when carrying a kit with my 75 Noctilux, 50/0.95 and 90/1.5 along with a couple of wides and two M10 bodies, it's likely to leave an indent in the soft brown leather passenger seat in my Veyron. That's just unacceptable.

Hermés will be happy to custom build you a camera trailer ..... 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

On 12/26/2019 at 4:49 PM, fotografr said:

Haha! Most of my cars have diamond cut bare aluminum floors. No carpet at all in them, so not a problem here! 😅

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, setuporg said:

They weigh the same and cost 1/4 of this new thing.  And they were around soon for a decade...

That’s due in large part to the tanking of S prices. Remember that the S2 hit the market near $30k, with lens prices to match.  And the first M Noctilux appeared over 50 years ago (albeit much lighter than the new beasts).  What goes around comes around. 

I think, though, that Leica can afford the risk of these new behemoths because of the SL line, where focusing and handling become more practical.  Could be just smart marketing for the SL, especially now that the S has taken a back seat.

Jeff

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Am 12.12.2019 um 22:40 schrieb oldwino:

Is this lens, which may prove to be nearly impossible to rangefinder-focus on a M camera, still a rangefinder lens when you need an EVF for accurate focus? 

What makes you think you need EVF for this lens to accurately focus it?

55 minutes ago, oldwino said:

I think we are approaching (or perhaps have surpassed) the limits of the current rangefinder mechanism. 

I don’t think so.

What I’ve found after a number of M cameras and a number of EVF’s is that the M10 & M-A rangefinders remain very accurate.  Focus peaking isn’t.  Just relying on focusing using the EVF isn’t bad (better than focus peaking).  But nothing is as consistently accurate as the rangefinder - strange, isn’t it?  Magnification is very good, if you have the time.

What’s interesting to me is that with wider lenses and slower apertures, I get better results with the rangefinder because it focusses accurately regardless of focal length or aperture - focus is equally accurate.

Trickier lenses, like the 75 Summilux and those with equally thin depths of field do sometimes require care when focusing, but counterintuitively, the lens I have with the thinnest depth of field isn’t the 0.95 Noctilux.  It’s the 75 Summilux, which has been around for 40 years?  I don’t have the 75 Noctilux or the 90 Summilux, but I imagine they’re the same.

Certainly, if you’re using any of these lenses wide open at 1 metre, you're going to need to be careful with either rangefinder or EVF.

• Like 3