New: Leica Summilux-M 90 mm f/1.5 ASPH

LUF Admin

The 90/1.5 has a very similar optical construction to the 75/1.25 except the latter has an extra lens element in the middle of the array.  

The MTF curves for the 90/1.5 are also similar to those of the 75/1.25 as you might expect; the Noct has slightly higher acutance wide open than the 90/1.5, but the 90/1.5 has slightly less astigmatism.  

Both lenses will likely make for terrific, sharp edge-to-edge photos with smooth out-of-focus areas (for those with the RF skill and eyesight acuity to focus them accurately).

Happy holidays, all!

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Edax said:

Why not skip the M-adapter L and release it in L-mount only 🤣

I don’t see what’s to laugh about here. This lens is a violation of the M idea and should have been developed for an SL or so in the first place. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, otto.f said:

I don’t see what’s to laugh about here. This lens is a violation of the M idea and should have been developed for an SL or so in the first place. 

Exactly what I meant to make clear...

Edited by Edax
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well - not in the market.  I had the Apo 90 Summicron and hardly ever used it - for my uses it's too big and too much hassle to focus.  I now depend on the 90 Macro-Elmar-M as a travel lens for this FL -  and find it's also great for portraits.  I'm satisfied with this and sticking with it.  Phew - and I've just saved myself a lot of money!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

#

• Like 5

Walked into Leica Store SoHo during lunch Today and checked out the 75 Noctilux. They had actually already received a 90 Summilux and sold it the day before. Was told that the two are of comparable heft. 

Sweet Geezus! The 75 is as big and dense as the Hubble telescope. 

"...Sweet Geezus! The 75 is as big and dense as the Hubble telescope."

The 90lux would probably be like having the space shuttle Atlantis mounted on the front of your M camera.

This lens is a blockbuster to be certain, but I'm holding out for the f/0.95 Noctilux 135mm APO. 

Word on the street is it will come as a matched set with one of these to ease the burden on street photographers:  http://www.towmotorforklift.com.sg/products/npp182025ea

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

Hard to see the appeal when focussing the 50mm Noctilux on an M is already a challenge and this will be more difficult.

Just makes me think the rangefinder is not fit for purpose for use with these extreme lenses and an SL2 provides a better platform to use it, in which case you wonder whether the larger lens throat of the SL could have resulted in a smaller, cheaper, better lens.

It's going to obscure the rangefinder viewfinder significantly as well. Just makes me think the M is now an anachronism.

Significant too that this is the first year since 2006 that I haven't bought anything Leica this year. Partly, I already have what I need, partly Leica don't make what I would like, partly their new product offerings don't appeal.

• Like 2

"... Just makes me think the M is now an anachronism..."

I think the M system is still relevant but I also think a lens like this may not be the best fit for an M body. 

For me personally, the  50mm Noctilux is usable on an M camera.  The 75 Noctilux may be the upper limit in terms of size/weight vs. carryability. 

The 90 Summilux probably has a place in the M lineup; it may be best used in a studio environment on a tripod to make precise focusing at maximum aperture less of a problem.

• Like 3

... partly it’s too expensive for what it is. Since the L platform is there, they should economize the M back to what it was: a street camera, and not a hybrid that tries to combine the best of both worlds.

20 minutes ago, marknorton said:

Hard to see the appeal when focussing the 50mm Noctilux on an M is already a challenge and this will be more difficult.

Just makes me think the rangefinder is not fit for purpose for use with these extreme lenses and an SL2 provides a better platform to use it, in which case you wonder whether the larger lens throat of the SL could have resulted in a smaller, cheaper, better lens.

It's going to obscure the rangefinder viewfinder significantly as well. Just makes me think the M is now an anachronism.

Significant too that this is the first year since 2006 that I haven't bought anything Leica this year. Partly, I already have what I need, partly Leica don't make what I would like, partly their new product offerings don't appeal.

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 4

This lens looks fantastic, but I think it is more the successor of the Summilux-R 80 than anything else. It is an entirely mechanical lens that works best with TTL focusing; it is, therefore, primarily for folks who use the SL system as a continuation of the R line, although it can also be used natively on the M platform. I like that approach and would be excited to see more like it. Perhaps it is time to revisit the idea of a Vario-Elmar-M?

Leica M10

Summilux-M 90 f/1.5 Asph.

shot with rangefinder

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Steve Ash said:

Leica M10

Summilux-M 90 f/1.5 Asph.

shot with rangefinder

Just wondering:  How/where were you able to get this lens so quickly after its announcement?