New: Leica Summilux-M 90 mm f/1.5 ASPH

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica introduces the Leica Summilux-M 90 mm f/1.5 ASPH!

Available from today, German price is 11.900 Euro.

Technical data Leica Summilux-M 90 mm f/1.5 ASPH

Technical data  
Angle of view (diagonal / horizontal / vertical): ~ 27° / 23° / 15°
M8: ~ 21° / 17° / 11°

Optical design  
Number of lenses/groups: 8/6
Position of entrance pupil in front of the bayonet flange: 27.2 mm
Working range: 1 m to infinity

Focusing  
Scale: Combined, feet/metres
Smallest object field: 211 mm x 317 mm
M8: 158 mm x 238 mm
Largest reproduction ratio: 1: 8.8

Aperture  
Setting/function: Preselection, with full and half stop detents
Smallest aperture: 16
Number of iris blades: 11
Lens mount: Leica M quick-change bayonet
Filter thread: E67
Lens hood: integrated

Dimensions and weight  
Length without / with lens hood extended: ~ 91 mm / 102 mm
Diameter without lens hood: ~ 74 mm
Weight without lens hood: ~ 1010 g

Leica Summilux-M 90 mm f/1.5 ASPH.: the new benchmark standard for portrait photography

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Leica Camera AG has added a new telephoto lens to the portfolio of extremely fast prime lenses for the Leica M-System. The Summilux-M 90 mm f/1.5 ASPH. provides photographers with a whole range of creative opportunities such as portraits with extremely shallow planes of focus – either as precisely isolated subjects or as transitions from perfect sharpness into wonderfully soft, out of focus backgrounds. The optical design of the lens sets new standards and already delivers exceptional performance with the aperture wide open. In addition to the moderate telephoto focal length for portraiture, the high speed of the lens makes it ideal for available light photography and, thanks to its short close focusing distance, also for uniquely detailed close-up compositions.

The optical design of the Summilux-M 90 mm f/1.5 ASPH. is extremely complex and features eight elements arranged in six groups, two elements of which are asphericals made from special glasses. A floating element – only achievable with enormous effort in such compact lenses – ensures that the outstanding optical performance of the lens is maintained at all focusing distances. The almost unavoidable effects such as vignetting and distortion generally encountered in such fast lenses play practically no role at all. The integrated lens hood of the Summilux-M 90 mm f/1.5 ASPH. can be quickly and easily pulled out and locked with a twist to provide optimum protection against stray light and reflections.

A closest focusing distance of one metre and a reproduction ratio of 1:8.8 make the Summilux-M 90 mm f/1.5 ASPH. an ideal lens for portrait photography. Its high speed for this focal length fully exploits the potentials of the M-Bayonet mount. It is a close relation of the Noctilux-M 75 mm f/1.25 ASPH. in terms of optical design and construction and offers a similar, extremely shallow, depth of field that is only around half the depth of that of the Leica Noctilux-M 50 mm f/0.95 ASPH.

The Summilux-M 90 mm f/1.5 ASPH. owes its unique performance not only to the materials and glasses, but also to exceptional precision in the manufacturing and assembly process. This guarantees endurance and lasting value and is experienced in the extremely smooth focusing action of the lens and the control over bokeh, which demand exceptionally precise alignment of the optical system. With its ability to isolate subjects in space with an extremely shallow depth of focus and a focal length that simultaneously enables shooting from a less intrusive distance, the Summilux-M 90 mm f/1.5 ASPH. stands out clearly among the classical focal lengths for portrait photography.

With the separately available M-Adapter L, the Summilux-M 90 mm f/1.5 ASPH. is also an attractive proposition for use with the Leica SL-System and on other L-Mount cameras. Thanks to 6-bit coding, the lens is automatically recognised by Leica SL and SL2 cameras and delivers optimum image quality in conjunction with their high-performance, high-res sensors.

The Summilux-M 90 mm f/1.5 ASPH. is available from today.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I suspect I may just have to live with my 1952 Leica 85mm/f1.5 Summarex for a bit longer with the €11,900 price for the 90 Summilux. For a mid 1930's design when computers were ladies with Melitta twirly desktop pin calculators, the Summarex is an amazingly good lens and it is a complex design. Max Berek really did know what he was doing. 

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Not on my shopping list, not just because of price -  I find it hard enough to focus my 90 Apo summicron and have no wish for any less depth-of-field.  But if Leica sell it well I think it is great, the more income they have the better for all of us! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

It is interesting that although the 90 Summilux looks more compact than my 85/1.5 Summarex and presumably uses light alloys for the barrel and maybe some of the sleeves, it is heavier at 1010g. My all brass Summarex is only 846g with hood and end caps. There must be some serious lumps of very dense glass in the Summilux. 

Wilson

• Thanks 1

Could me more interesting than the 75 Noctilux when already owning a 50 0.95. Looking forward to see what it can do in aesthetic rendering terms :) 

Don't think this beast will make sense on an M, either. Will it make sense on the SL? In the 90 mm focal length I usually shoot portraits anywhere between f4 and f8.

Edited by Arrow
  • Like 1

I won't be getting it......you can't tell the difference between modern lenses now..........I'll stick to my Thambar 😁.

Seriously though, I agree it is more likely to be used on the SL. I wonder if Leica has designed it with this in mind - and how much the M viewfinder is blocked by this one.

• Like 3

It is an ideal portrait focal length, but pro portrait photographers will be using an 85/f1.4 with auto-focus.

I had a 90/f2 ASPH and used it for portraits, but just found it too heavy  and tricky to focus at f2, so sold it and went back to using a 1974 90/f2.8 Tele-elmarit. I'm thinking of getting a 90/f4 Elmar, although the Tele-elmart is not far behind. The Voightlander 75/f1.8 is one of their best lenses and costs £500. 

So not sure about this. M lenses are meant to be small and practical. I'll stick to 50 Lux for portraits.

14 minutes ago, oldwino said:

Is this lens, which may prove to be nearly impossible to rangefinder focus on a M camera, still a rangefinder lens, when you need an EVF for accurate focus? 

My feelings exactly.  A pure EVF M is coming or the M line is now the MF SL line 

• Like 6