Leica ME type 240 Horizontal sensor lines at high iso ?

zeromx

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all.Please for my case.

My Leica is brand new,bought a month ago.These days i was taking photos at night and i saw that horizontal lines in photos at iso from 1000 to 3200.Is that normal or the sensor is defective ? 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This is another sample.The iso is 3200.

Edited by zeromx

All my digital cameras have these high ISO lines, often happen when my strobe failed to fire in studio shoot.  But @ ISO1000 is too much, which one was ISO1000, the 2nd one?

Question for yourself, are you planning to keep images like these if there ain't lines?  Anyway, if you really do keep them, post editing can get rid of some. 

Edited by jaeger

Normal if you increased brightness too much in PP. The limit on M240 is 3200 iso in my experience but f you shot, say, at 1600 iso and pushed brightness by 2 stops in PP, you've got the same banding as when shooting at 6400 iso which is too much to avoid banding on the M240. 

• Thanks 1

yeah those lines seem a little excessive.  LCT was right, we usually stays inside ISO3200 but I leave it at ISO6400 because I love distortions anway.  Do bring it back for refund, exchange or service if you see it bothers you.  Probably Leica M may not be your cup of tea if you takes many pictures like this.  Also, it doesn't work well with 3rd party equipment neither.   It took me more than a year to figure out the M philosophy.  Today, I use it because of my addiction than I really need to use it -- it's sort of a classic car.   

Just out of curious, what lens do you pair with your ME?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ict - on the second photo i didn't pushed the shadows (brightnes) but still have lines. Also in first photo there are a lot of lines visible without pushing brightness. 

jaeger - i can't bring back for refund or exchange. One month passed since i bought it. I have the right to return it only first two weeks as i know.

Expose a bit more liberally and the problem will go away to a considerable extent. Use Topaz DeNoise and/or Topaz Sharpen AI to clean up completely. I think the main problem is underexposure, quite easy to do on this kind of shot, as the bright highlights will fool the meter.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the camera.

Frankly, that is exactly what I got trying out the M240 - shadow banding starting as low as ISO 2500 in some cases. Very little practical ISO improvement over the M9.

So I don't think the camera is faulty - just the exposure settings used.

Trying to brighten a picture in post-processing, especially shadow areas, is no different from using a higher ISO in the first place - you will get identical noise and banding whether you push the picture brighter, or the camera does it with ISO. (The M240 is fairly "ISO-invariant" in that regard).

In other words, shooting at ISO 1000 and then trying to brighten the picture 2 stops in the computer afterwards will give the same results as using ISO 4000 with a correct exposure and no brightening in post.

Note that heavy white-balancing in post-processing is also effectively "pushing" one color channel or another to be brighter, so can have the same effect as trying to raise or rescue shadow brightness overall.

• 1 month later...

Hi mine is worse, can't figure how. Camera new, used twice.

I recently needed sensor remapping due to a line across the image that looked quite distinct, as in one very visible line. It was an easy fix. I sent an email to Dave E. at Leica NJ and he requested i email a DNG. I did that and he sent me a file back that was in the form of a firmware update to remap the sensor.  I hope yours is as easy and quick a fix :)

David

On 1/18/2020 at 8:34 AM, DwF said:

I recently needed sensor remapping due to a line across the image that looked quite distinct, as in one very visible line. It was an easy fix. I sent an email to Dave E. at Leica NJ and he requested i email a DNG. I did that and he sent me a file back that was in the form of a firmware update to remap the sensor.  I hope yours is as easy and quick a fix :)

David

Hi thanks for the update, I got this response for Leica.

"The firmware fix you are referring to is something for only the M10 bodies, the techs don’t have the ability to do the same thing for other models. The camera needs to come to Service Dept. Attached to this email you will find our repair request form. If you can please fill it out at your earliest convenience, then please mail it in with the Camera to the address on the form".

Is it your case? 

Thanks

Interesting.  If brand new as you mention in OP, it is under warranty. I don't know your specific circumstances or if purchase was recent enough that store would exchange for a new one......?

Best of luck!

David