TT Artisans 21mm f1.5 available to pre-order at 35MMC

wlaidlaw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just found out from Hamish Gill that he is taking pre-orders on the 21mm/f1,5 M m mount lens and have put mine on order. Although this is from TT Artisans not 7Artisans, I suspect in reality it is from the same or at least a closely allied stable. Hamish is currently giving 10% off on pre-orders resulting in the lens being a very modest £358.50 including VAT and UK P&P. Now I am not expecting this lens to be a 21 Summilux at that astonishingly low price point but I suspect it will be at least as good stopped down, as my current LTM Voigtlander Color-Skopar 21/f4 and not at all bad, when used wide open. I have been pleasantly surprised by both the quality of manufacture of and images from my 7Artisans 28/f1.4 and astonished by their 75/f1.25, which I think is better at f2,5 than my Leica 75 Summarit-M. 

Wilson

• Like 2

Is there some (even preliminary) picture or drawing of this lens ?  It's very intriguing…  a 21 1,5 for FFcannot be a little lens… the 28 1,4 from 7Artisans is rather compact, I see... and their 35 1,2 is supercompact, but for APS-C.

Edited by luigi bertolotti

47 minutes ago, luigi bertolotti said:

Is there some (even preliminary) picture or drawing of this lens ?  It's very intriguing…  a 21 1,5 for FFcannot be a little lens… the 28 1,4 from 7Artisans is rather compact, I see... and their 35 1,2 is supercompact, but for APS-C.

Luigi, there is some detail on both Hamish Gill's 35mmc.com website and more on DPreview.com. The lens has 13 elements in 11 groups. 

Wilson

I'm a big fan of the 7Artisans lenses, I suspect that the TTArtisan lenses will be just as good. I intend to purchase the 21mm f1.5.

I have the 7Artisans 28mm f1.4, the 35mm f2 and the 50mm f1.1.  No doubt the Leica lenses are better, but I also own the 35mm Summicron (IV) and 28mm Summilux and on casual observation I can't tell the difference in the photos between the Leica and 7Artisans with those focal lengths. In close and detailed inspection one can find where the Leica lenses are superior, but I'm not a pixel peeper. The 7Artisans lenses get used in the rough weather or where I don't want to risk my $6k Summilux.

The 50 f1.1 is not Leica image quality at all, but it is a niche lens and I like it a lot as well.

I originally bought the 28/1.4, so I could send my 28/2 ASPH Summicron away for repair. The Summicron has, like is extremely common with these lenses, a slightly loose front section. The front section of the lens threads into the main body and is "locked" in position from rotating, by three tiny grub screws (maybe 1.5 or 1,7mm). Not only did Leica make the error of using cheap slot head grub screws rather than socket hex but the steel of the grub screws is very soft. During its previous ownership, someone has had a go at tightening these, I suspect with an incorrect or cheap screwdriver and chewed them up beyond any further use or tightening. They will need to be extracted I think by the welding rod method, where you touch a 1mm hard steel welding rod to the end of the damaged screw, using a spot welding machine and press the start pedal. The welding rod should instantly spot weld itself to the remains of the screw and enable the damaged part to be unscrewed without damage to the female thread. If the threads are already damaged, they can be re-tapped to 2mm and decent socket cap grub screws used. 

However I have been so happy with the 7 Artisans 28/1.4, that I have not bothered to send off my 28 Summicron for repair and all the good Leica repairers I know are very backlogged. 

Wilson

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Feeling very tempted to get both of the TTArtisan lenses (35/1.4 and this 21/1.5) for low-light options as I have very good slower options from Leica and Cosina-Voigtländer in these focal lengths.

Of course you can't go wrong picking the 21 Summilux-M that is simply legendary but my wallet says otherwise 😕

55 minutes ago, jaeger said:

I can't find any sample picture of the 21mm 1.5, anyone?

I don't think any have escaped captivity as yet, as far as I am aware, not even review copies so . Hamish of 35MMC, has his fingers crossed that his batch will arrive before Xmas. However there is more detail including use on an SL2 on TTArtisan's Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/TTArtisan/

Wilson

Forwarded from a friend.

note this is TTartisan 35mm/1.4 on Sigma FP. Nit the 21mm/1.5 but I think you should be able to get a feeling of the quality.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Some more.

This is a shot of the Mumbai waterfront at night from the Taj Palace Hotel (the setting for the film Mumbai), taken with my CL and the 28/1.4 at 1.4. The glass in the restaurant windows was not as clean as I would have liked, which is causing a bit of haloing. 

Wilson

• 1 month later...

I got my copy some days ago, but too much to do to test it.

Very well built, as almost all "artisan" lenses.

The very first shots gave me the impression that at f/1.5 it is a bit on the soft side. (Well, no wonder really.) 
But stopped down it becomes decently sharp quite quickly. Landscapes at f/5.6 seem to be very sharp.

But I need to shoot a lot more to come to a verdict.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2